• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your Opinion on Winter Travel from BCN to SJPP

lapamela

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2019 from SJPP
March 2022 from Porto
Hello All,

I have had a question in mind for months but have been hesitant to post as I know it may have already been addressed. Please believe me, I have been learning so much from these forum posts and have read much already about winter on the camino Frances. Please forgive me if this is redundant. Here is my situation that I'd like your opinion about:
- I arrive to Barcelona late at night on 1 March (Saturday) and I'm hoping to be in SJPP by Sunday evening (earlier is better, I'd love to see the town).
- I've had a bad experience with taxis(not in Spain) and they are not my preferred mode of transport. I can take them if I must, but just considering all the options would you recommend:
1) early train from BCN to PAM, then taxi to SJPP, (because from this forum I've learned that the bus from PAM probably will not be running this early in the year), or
2) early flight to BILBAO (arriving at 8:30am, and only about 30 Euros) and then patch together trains and buses to SJPP, or
3) another option

Does the Bilbao flight seem like I am over complicating things or would this be a great option for someone will to work harder to get to SJPP a bit earlier? I appreciate any advice you all have, especially those that have made the route in late winter. Thank you!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, there is also the possibility to take a bus from Pamplona to Bayonne and from there bus or train to SJPdP ;-) You might consider staying one night in Bayonne to see the cathedral there etc. Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Lapamela, I actually flew into Bilbao on my second camino ex SJPDP. Took combination of bus and train the next day to SJPDP. Bus to Bayonne then train to SJPDP arriving around 1940. Looks like you could easily get to SJPDP by the evening of March 3 looking at Rome2rio especially if you arrive Bilbao earlier in the day. The trip from airport to downtown is quick and smooth. Can you fly direct to Bilbao? Beautiful city well worth a visit!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Check out FlixBus or Transports 64 from the Bilbao Bus Terminal to Bayonne. It is very easy to get from the Bilbao airport to the bus terminal via a local bus. The bus from Bilbao to Bayonne is about 2 hours. As Sybille says, Bayonne is a very interesting place to visit, as well as Biarritz. Spend the night and catch the first train/bus to SJPdP the next day.

Maybe your best option, time-wise, is to just take a taxi from Pamplona....if you really want to start in and visit SJPdP. Keep in mind on March 1, the route over the Pyrenees is not going to be open.

On our first Camino in April 2013, we also intended to start in SJPdP, but we ran into the same transport issues you are facing. We decided to just start in Pamplona. You could do this or take public transport to Roncesvalles and start there. We have been back to Pamplona two more times and love the town. So overnighting there is always a good option, IMHO.

At the risk of a barrage of criticism from my fellow forum members, I was not that overwhelmed with SJPdP when we stayed in that town after completing the Le Puy route. Again, just my opinion.

Buen camino.

Tom

Or fly BCN to Bayonne, then taxi to SJPdP. Given the likelihood of snow (both on the route and actively falling!), I second the advice to start in Pamplona.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello All,

I have had a question in mind for months but have been hesitant to post as I know it may have already been addressed. Please believe me, I have been learning so much from these forum posts and have read much already about winter on the camino Frances. Please forgive me if this is redundant. Here is my situation that I'd like your opinion about:
- I arrive to Barcelona late at night on 1 March (Saturday) and I'm hoping to be in SJPP by Sunday evening (earlier is better, I'd love to see the town).
- I've had a bad experience with taxis(not in Spain) and they are not my preferred mode of transport. I can take them if I must, but just considering all the options would you recommend:
1) early train from BCN to PAM, then taxi to SJPP, (because from this forum I've learned that the bus from PAM probably will not be running this early in the year), or
2) early flight to BILBAO (arriving at 8:30am, and only about 30 Euros) and then patch together trains and buses to SJPP, or
3) another option

Does the Bilbao flight seem like I am over complicating things or would this be a great option for someone will to work harder to get to SJPP a bit earlier? I appreciate any advice you all have, especially those that have made the route in late winter. Thank you!!!!
In 2014 we took public transport from Barcelona to SJPP in late Feb. I cannot recall exactly what transport it was. But I don’t think we needed taxi. You should be able to do some combination of bus and tran in March.

Last edited:
I second Pamplona, or, if you would like a bit of Pyrenees experience, then start in Roncesvalles, which we have always done. If you are still set on SJPP, play it by ear and decide on the last minute, according to weather conditions. A heavy snowfall is still possible at the beginning of March!

From Pamplona you can get a bus (almost daily) to Roncesvalles and PLM bus lines has Tuesday and Friday trips from Pamplona to Valcarlos and Arneguy arriving near noon. These are just a few hours walk from SJPdP along the Camino in the easterly direction. But then you will be walking back Westerly the next day so I would say to start from Valcarlos or Roncesvalles.

If interested I could dig up more information but it is not handy right now.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back