Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

You're Going to Take a WHAT ?

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
OK, call me Crazy. Hmm Could be a song title in that.........

A RICE COOKER!

OK, here's the back story. My lovely wife Pat has agreed to come on the Camino with me. She's really not the outdoors type, so I'm going to do everything I can to make it a great experience for her. Why? Because I love her to bits. Next question.

We'll travel light. 8KG pack for me, 4KG pack for her. (includes Poles and Water) Trying to buy Ultralite gear if we can. We'll stay in small guest houses/hotels if possible.

Whilst I am totally unfit now, I used to be fit and did lots of hiking etc. So I have an idea of what I am up against. So I reckon if I can get really fit again, that also gives me the option of carrying some of her gear if I need to. Starting to get the picture ? The less tired and stressed I can be, the better I can help her out as required.

I should add that Pat is all of 45KG and Thai. Now if you know anything about Thai people you will know that they love Thai food over any other type of food. Most of them anyway. Sure Pat loves any type of food. Western, Japanese, you name it. But not all the time. And Thai people don't really eat bread and potatoes much. Their staple is...........RICE. For her to live on bread and potatoes for a month would not be something she would do by choice.

So if Pat can at least get a regular helping of Rice, she will be as happy as a Pig in SxxT if you get my meaning. And that translates to me being happy too :) Having a ball of sticky rice in her pocket will keep her going all day!

So.

I was reading a story somewhere recently where a Pilgrim was amazed to see a Korean Lady in an Albergue pull out her travelling Rice Cooker. A Ha I thought!

I wonder what is the lightest available Rice Cooker on the market? I don't mean a pot. I mean a proper rice cooker that you plug into a 220V outlet........ We have a whole range of them at home, but none are that light that I would ever consider throwing it into my pack!

600-700g might just make it......... if such a thing exists.

Has anyone ever seen one?

OK, call me crazy if you must :)

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
I commend you making this as special for your wife as you can and accommodating her desires (just make sure she doesn't want to *try* the Spanish way- you might be surprised!) When we travelled in SE Asia, we would cook up a huge portion of sticky rice in the morning, put it in our bamboo rice container (bought in Laos) and we were set for the day. After six months we were hanging out for a slice of good sourdough bread;-)
If you don't manage to find a light rice cooker, would you consider taking a pot? You can certainly get lightweight ones and you can cook rice in them beautifully. I married into a Malaysian family so I understand the obsession with rice cookers, but they all concede now that I cook rice just fine in my pot!
Another option would be to carry a thermos - some of the kitchens we encountered were not accessible in the morning so this would be a good option unless you were happy to cook the night before. The rice could soak in the thermos all day in cold water, then rinse in the evening, cover with boiling water and it will be cooked in the morning. Plus it's in a container ready to take on the road (in which case you'd need to start soaking the next lot of rice after the first is eaten!)

I'm not telling you what to do or that you shouldn't take a rice cooker, just giving some other ways of looking at the issue.

I wish you all the best.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Thanks Rachael. Some good alternatives to a Rice Cooker that we should try!

And Yes, she may indeed 'Go Spanish' with her food preferences. But hey I was a Boy Scout. So 'Be Prepared' is my motto :)

K

karenfromcali

ok so I found this.
Narita Takeru Mini Rice Cooker ,Warmer Super Lunch Box Jar Travel Kitchen 0.8L. It weighs 2.4 lbs (1.1kg). Not sure if it has dual voltage but maybe worth looking at? Don't see anything much smaller but will keep looking :)

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

lynettefoo

Past OR future Camino
29 September to October 12, 2012 (Leon to Santiago); 1 October 2013 to 18th October 2013 from St Jean Pied de Port to Burgos.
The best thing is to just pack these things and her chili sauce and whatever ingredients she needs and send it from hotel to hotel. They do have luggage delivery too. That would make her super happy! She might as well carry a day pack and not a full pack. If I know Thai women well, then you should know that they will NOT like this walk. I lived in Bangkok for a year. They do not like to sweat so make sure you choose October as it is a quiet month and it is cool most of the time. Also, is she going to be okay with washing clothes every day? Did you marry a Thai princess or a Thai warrior? If you married a Thai princess then I suggest you consider hiring a car and driving from town to town and stop for some sightseeing.

lynettefoo

Past OR future Camino
29 September to October 12, 2012 (Leon to Santiago); 1 October 2013 to 18th October 2013 from St Jean Pied de Port to Burgos.
And can I just add, you dont have to be super fit to walk the Camino. It is not a very strenous walk! I have walked St Jean to Burgos and Leon to Santiago and it's not hard. Although I have to admit that I run half marathons so maybe I can say this but seriously, it is not a hard walk and you dont have to train like crazy for it. Just make sure you pace yourself, walk slowly and perhaps only go 20kms a day. I stayed in private accomodation only and it was wonderful. No need to share bathrooms and all the privacy you need. And you dont need poles either. I hardly used mine for both the Caminos.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

unadara

I don't know how anyone can say October will be cool. It was 33 degrees in 2011 every day from 13th Sept to 13th oct (or there abouts) and poles are great, many may not need them but they are advised and in france you are not allowed! walk with a club (membership) without them as they take so much pressure off your joints (for the future obviously). I like the suggestion of the thermos flask or the electric coil. Both these will work.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
ok so I found this.
Narita Takeru Mini Rice Cooker ,Warmer Super Lunch Box Jar Travel Kitchen 0.8L. It weighs 2.4 lbs (1.1kg). Not sure if it has dual voltage but maybe worth looking at? Don't see anything much smaller but will keep looking :)

Awesome, thanks Karen.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
If you put rice and boiling water into a thermos flask in the morning, rice is perfectly cooked at night... really. My cousin is gluten intolerant and he does this every morning, coming home to cooked rice in the evening. Try it before you go!

Will certainly try that. Thanks.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
The best thing is to just pack these things and her chili sauce and whatever ingredients she needs and send it from hotel to hotel. They do have luggage delivery too. That would make her super happy! She might as well carry a day pack and not a full pack. If I know Thai women well, then you should know that they will NOT like this walk. I lived in Bangkok for a year. They do not like to sweat so make sure you choose October as it is a quiet month and it is cool most of the time. Also, is she going to be okay with washing clothes every day? Did you marry a Thai princess or a Thai warrior? If you married a Thai princess then I suggest you consider hiring a car and driving from town to town and stop for some sightseeing.

LOL. No she is not a Princess :) But I know what you mean. She is actually enjoying our walking 'training'

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
And can I just add, you dont have to be super fit to walk the Camino. It is not a very strenous walk! I have walked St Jean to Burgos and Leon to Santiago and it's not hard. Although I have to admit that I run half marathons so maybe I can say this but seriously, it is not a hard walk and you dont have to train like crazy for it. Just make sure you pace yourself, walk slowly and perhaps only go 20kms a day. I stayed in private accomodation only and it was wonderful. No need to share bathrooms and all the privacy you need. And you dont need poles either. I hardly used mine for both the Caminos.

Yes I take your point. But as I am close to 60, very overweight (20kgs) and very unfit..... Anything like a 'normal' level of fitness before I go will be 'super fit' in my eyes! I'm aiming to lose at least 15 kgs before I go and be very 'comfortable' walking a fair distance every day. Whilst we want our privacy at night and private bathroom, we also want to actually walk the whole way carrying our gear.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
It might be my age showing here, but we used to cook rice without an (electric) rice cooker. A lot of the albergues have kitchens ... Buen Camino and bless you for thinking so much about what your wife needs / wants, SY

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
It might be my age showing here, but we used to cook rice without an (electric) rice cooker. A lot of the albergues have kitchens ... Buen Camino and bless you for thinking so much about what your wife needs / wants, SY

Ahhh. But we won't be staying in Albergues :-( We like our privacy and comforts :)

hecate105

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
'09 Portuguese Estellas '14 Aurelia '16 St Davids '17 Via Augusta/V dl P. '18/'19 Michael Mary Way
A rice cooker - that's crazy! I insisted taking a stainless steel espresso pot so I could have coffee exactly when I wanted - that's crazy too! But if crazy makes happy - then i'm happy to be crazy...

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
A rice cooker - that's crazy! I insisted taking a stainless steel espresso pot so I could have coffee exactly when I wanted - that's crazy too! But if crazy makes happy - then i'm happy to be crazy...

Hmm. Maybe we could fit one of those in too? LOL

The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

piogaw

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino frances (05/06 2012) sjpdp-sdc; vdlp/camino sanabrea (02/03 2013) sevilla-sdc; hospitalero sdc june 2013, august-september 2013; caminho portugues (03 2014) lisboa-sdc
Hello robo,

Have you thought about a microwave rice cooker, the plastic cooker is very handy and easy to carry and also to cook. I use one of these to cook normal white rice and depending on how many cups of rice you put in with proper amount of water, you should be ok. I assume it can also cook sticky rice.

Boy o boy what would someone do to please a good wife and make her happy.

Buen camino and god bless. She would really love you a lot as you do her.

Last edited:
Past OR future Camino
It's a few weeks since I was there, but don't the Spanish eat rice? ;) They certainly grow lots. I can buy 7 different varieties in my local store. While I admire you devotion and determination I think I'd be trying out a few paellas, arroz negra and all those other lovely Spanish rice dishes I can make at home. Though of course you might not get any in Spain 'cos its all in my local store... :p

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Yes I agree Tincatinker. Hopefully she will find plenty of delicious things to eat! Just helps to have a back up plan,

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
I think Plan A, will be that hopefully she finds the local food delicious......... I'm sure she will. Just now and again I think she'll crave some plain rice or noodles. Bit like me when I spend a long time in Asia, every now and again I crave something plain like a Club Sandwich or a Burger!

Plan B may well be some means of cooking Rice. Whatever that is, we can ditch it if not required.

Plan C was 'cooked up' at breakfast this morning. I was weighing some instant noodles that Pat wants to take along as a back up. They have little satchets of Thai sauces and spices to add to the noodles once cooked. So. Can we buy instant noodles in Spain? I think they are fairly much available globally!

Then all we need to take are the satchets of sauces and spices to add in........

D

Deleted member 3000

As I recall, everything makes it to the table in Thailand; no animal or part of an animal is wasted. If that is the case, your wife may like a Cocido Maragato in Astorga.

5-1.jpg

Chick peas, potato, several types of sausage, pork, ribs, pig's feet, pig's ears, ham, and chops are all deliciously cooked in a spiced sauce. Sorry, but no rice...

Buen provecho!

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Critical ingredient missing......the rice :) Hence the Rice Cooker debate.....

I have to say, I eat most things, but that dish looks hideous! :)

Last edited:

wayfarer

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
As I recall, everything makes it to the table in Thailand; no animal or part of an animal is wasted. If that is the case, your wife may like a Cocido Maragato in Astorga.

5-1.jpg

Chick peas, potato, several types of sausage, pork, ribs, pig's feet, pig's ears, ham, and chops are all deliciously cooked in a spiced sauce. Sorry, but no rice...

Buen provecho!
Mmmmmmmmmm............

D

Deleted member 3000

that dish looks hideous! attachFull6847
I think the platter weighed in at about three pounds of food!

Attachments

• upload_2013-11-17_9-3-50.png
    upload_2013-11-17_9-3-50.png
    95 bytes · Views: 21
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

lynettefoo

Past OR future Camino
I stayed in private accommodation and carried my pack all the way. It weighed 5kgs. Since you intend to do the same, then you do not need your sleeping bags and liner and forget about your cooking equipment. I just took toiletries, change of clothes, soap to wash my clothes, water, passport and money, and your fleece and rain gear. You wont need anything else. She should bring the pre packaged meals like rice porridge and instant noodles which are light and fairly flat and all you will need to do is get hot water and rehydrate them. She should use these as an emergency but otherwise she should eat what all the other pilgrims are eating.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
I stayed in private accommodation and carried my pack all the way. It weighed 5kgs. Since you intend to do the same, then you do not need your sleeping bags and liner and forget about your cooking equipment. I just took toiletries, change of clothes, soap to wash my clothes, water, passport and money, and your fleece and rain gear. You wont need anything else. She should bring the pre packaged meals like rice porridge and instant noodles which are light and fairly flat and all you will need to do is get hot water and rehydrate them. She should use these as an emergency but otherwise she should eat what all the other pilgrims are eating.

Thanks Lynette. Did you any difficulty getting private accommodation along the whole route? If we are fairly sure of always finding somewhere, I'll certainly leave the sleeping gear at home! I was only looking at the Brierley guide, and there are many stretches that only have Albergues. At least in that guide book....
Agreed, the packet food is just for 'emergencies'.

D

Deleted member 3000

Did you any difficulty getting private accommodation
Booking.com has most of the hoteles and hostales, so you can book a few days in advance, or even in the morning. I have booked from outside the front door of the hostal! If you are including private albergues in your question, then it is possible that they will be booked or full, but I never had a problem with the non-albergue places.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Thanks Falcon. Sounds like we'll be travelling lightweight then...

Afternote: I must be really dumb, sorry :oops:

What was your process for doing this?

i.e. I just checked google earth, for towns/villages that had hotels along the early part of the route.

I then put those village names into booking.com and no entries for those places came up..... These are places that Google Earth shows as having 3-4 hotels/pensions. Weird...

Am I missing something ?

Or is it only the major locations that are covered by booking.com? i.e. Roncesvalles is there. 1 entry. But Aurizberri is not (4 shown on google earth), Lintzoain (showing 2) is not.

But a good resource nonetheless.

Last edited:
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Maps

renegadepilgrim

Veteran Pilgrim and Traveler
Past OR future Camino
2010: Camino Frances, 2011: Santo Domingo de la Calzada (Hospitalera), 2012: Camino Portuguese from Porto, 2015: Camino Norte
Robo, another option is to just go to the local grocery stores in the bigger towns...they will have rice. My sister is GF and when we were hospitaleras, we stocked up on rice and she made stir-fry almost every day for lunch. Also, one of the pilgrims that came through made one of the best curries I have had outside of Thailand! And that was in a relatively small town but they had two large grocery stores with lots of options. So, just know in bigger towns like Burgos, Leon, Pamplona, etc, you might be able to find what you need in those places. Also, I don't recall seeing food in the "China" shops (think dollar store in the States), the owners are almost always Asian and would be able to direct you to find food your wife might like. I know you are planning to stay more in hotels, etc, but many of the albergues have kitchens that would allow you to cook, instead of carting around a small rice cooker. Except in Galicia. Just a thought. I would also suggest the newer guidebook "Hiking The Camino" (www.hikingthecamino.com) as an alternative to the Brierley, it might help you with your planning. If you walk between the stages, you should always be fine for staying in an albergue and having a bed to sleep in. I do understand the need to stay in private accommodations, though. I found AirBnB.com to also be a great resource on the Camino Portuguese last year, but booking.com is definitely the major website for Europe. Keep in mind, not all hotels/hostals/pensions are online either...so you'll have to do a mix of both booking ahead of time and doing walk ups. Good luck!

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Robo, another option is to just go to the local grocery stores in the bigger towns...they will have rice. My sister is GF and when we were hospitaleras, we stocked up on rice and she made stir-fry almost every day for lunch. Also, one of the pilgrims that came through made one of the best curries I have had outside of Thailand! And that was in a relatively small town but they had two large grocery stores with lots of options. So, just know in bigger towns like Burgos, Leon, Pamplona, etc, you might be able to find what you need in those places. Also, I don't recall seeing food in the "China" shops (think dollar store in the States), the owners are almost always Asian and would be able to direct you to find food your wife might like. I know you are planning to stay more in hotels, etc, but many of the albergues have kitchens that would allow you to cook, instead of carting around a small rice cooker. Except in Galicia. Just a thought. I would also suggest the newer guidebook "Hiking The Camino" (www.hikingthecamino.com) as an alternative to the Brierley, it might help you with your planning. If you walk between the stages, you should always be fine for staying in an albergue and having a bed to sleep in. I do understand the need to stay in private accommodations, though. I found AirBnB.com to also be a great resource on the Camino Portuguese last year, but booking.com is definitely the major website for Europe. Keep in mind, not all hotels/hostals/pensions are online either...so you'll have to do a mix of both booking ahead of time and doing walk ups. Good luck!

GF? Not sure what that is, sorry.

We don't plan to use albergues at all, hence the thought of the rice cooker. But I think we'll manage. Pat is starting to comprehend the need to keep the weight down :)

Must check out that book, thanks.

GettingThere

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
C. Frances sections Apr-Jun 2019
Roncesvalles is there. 1 entry. But Aurizberri is not (4 shown on google earth), Lintzoain (showing 2) is not.

Hi Robo - you will find in that region that many towns have different place names in Spanish and the Basque language. The Spanish version of Aurizberri is Espinal, and I've also seen it on Booking.com as Espinal-Auzperri (which is different again). They do list a couple of places there, but none for Lintzoian (Linzoáin in Basque). I've also been researching non-albergue accommodation and I don't think there is anything in Lintzoian. Another nearby place with a couple of options is Viscarret-Guerendiáin, which I've also seen written as Viskarret, Viskarreta and Bizkarreta (you get the idea!) If you haven't yet found it, the Mundicamino site is a good source of accommodation listings (http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/ - look under "Lodging" for non-albergues within each stage) which you can then check out further on Booking.com (although they aren't all there) or their own websites (not all given on Mundicamino, so try Googling the names). Some of the smaller places only have a phone number, but a surprising proportion have a website, some with online booking, and/or a Booking.com listing.

Happy hunting and buen camino!

Camino Maps
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
D

Deleted member 3000

Remember, when a place is full, it does not show up on booking.com. If you are just browsing, you may need to check several dates to locate all the hotels. There are two properties in Roncesvalles.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Remember, when a place is full, it does not show up on booking.com. If you are just browsing, you may need to check several dates to locate all the hotels. There are two properties in Roncesvalles.

Ah. Good point. Thanks

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Hi Robo - you will find in that region that many towns have different place names in Spanish and the Basque language. The Spanish version of Aurizberri is Espinal, and I've also seen it on Booking.com as Espinal-Auzperri (which is different again). They do list a couple of places there, but none for Lintzoian (Linzoáin in Basque). I've also been researching non-albergue accommodation and I don't think there is anything in Lintzoian. Another nearby place with a couple of options is Viscarret-Guerendiáin, which I've also seen written as Viskarret, Viskarreta and Bizkarreta (you get the idea!) If you haven't yet found it, the Mundicamino site is a good source of accommodation listings (http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/ - look under "Lodging" for non-albergues within each stage) which you can then check out further on Booking.com (although they aren't all there) or their own websites (not all given on Mundicamino, so try Googling the names). Some of the smaller places only have a phone number, but a surprising proportion have a website, some with online booking, and/or a Booking.com listing.

Happy hunting and buen camino!

Many thanks. Checking it out now!

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
There have been a lot of good and worthwhile suggestions and ideas here. Having somewhat unconventional dietary requirements myself, and being frequently unable to partake in routine pilgrim meal offerings, I have a lot of respect for Robo and what he is attempting to do for his significant other. But I feel compelled to jump in to point out three essential aspects about the Camino in general:
  1. EVERYONE does their own Camino, in the manner best suited to their motivation, needs, abilities and temperment. That is the way it has always been and should remain. There is no one model for performance or accomplishment.
  2. I heard it said often while on Camino that "...to judge another (on any issue) is to condemn yourself." So, who am I to judge what is appropriate? I usually offer to advise or assist others when I think they might benefit, but I try to never impose myself or my views on others. I might make an exception if I thought you might fall off a mountain or get hit by a truck. But, other than that, to each his or her own.
  3. "Crazy" is frequently the best personality attribute for a pilgrim. I saw some wild and wacky pilgrims and some odd approaches to making the Camino. Whatever...
I suggest that, as long as it (something) does not harm or adversely affect another pilgrim's Camino experience, anything goes... :)

Remember, a pilgrim plays nice with all the other pilgrims...

piogaw

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino frances (05/06 2012) sjpdp-sdc; vdlp/camino sanabrea (02/03 2013) sevilla-sdc; hospitalero sdc june 2013, august-september 2013; caminho portugues (03 2014) lisboa-sdc
hello renegadepilgrim,

many of the bigger pueblos and cities, aside from having numerous bazar chinos, also will have a numerous number of oriental convenient store selling oriental food ingredients for thai cooking.

buen camino.

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

renegadepilgrim

Past OR future Camino
2010: Camino Frances, 2011: Santo Domingo de la Calzada (Hospitalera), 2012: Camino Portuguese from Porto, 2015: Camino Norte
And don't forget the Thai place down the street from the pilgrim office! Not the most authentic but super tasty after weeks of patatas frites! ;)

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Past OR future Camino
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
I understand the importance of being able to eat the regional food you grow up with. It's important for good physical and mental health. If you stay at albergues you should be able to cook a pot of rice everyday. Almost all have a stove for cooking. I would not bring a small rice cooker but a light weight titanium camp pot. Fill it with your socks during the day and rice at night. Like you said, she does not need to eat rice every day but it is important to you both. :)

renegadepilgrim

Past OR future Camino
He's not planning to stay in albergues. Hence his question. It would be easier if they were staying in albergues.

janicemf

Past OR future Camino
the french way
Hi Rob, my husband and I walked the camino francis sept and oct 2012 - we stayed in private alberques, hostals, hotels, etc. and I carried 8kg of camera gear! I understand the need to make the camino your own, it seems some of us have something that is too important to leave home without. My husband and I used booking.com to find a place to stay! be warned, we ended in a couple of places that we 1k or so out of town. There were times when we needed a break and used a transport company to move our luggage to the next hotel rather than carry everything,(just the camera gear!) that might be an option for you for long days.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

jcatienza

Past OR future Camino
Frances March 2012
Frances April 2015
Wow, I now want to sched my trip to coincide with yours so I can hijack the rice : )

OK, call me Crazy. Hmm Could be a song title in that.........

A RICE COOKER!

OK, here's the back story. My lovely wife Pat has agreed to come on the Camino with me. She's really not the outdoors type, so I'm going to do everything I can to make it a great experience for her. Why? Because I love her to bits. Next question.

We'll travel light. 8KG pack for me, 4KG pack for her. (includes Poles and Water) Trying to buy Ultralite gear if we can. We'll stay in small guest houses/hotels if possible.

Whilst I am totally unfit now, I used to be fit and did lots of hiking etc. So I have an idea of what I am up against. So I reckon if I can get really fit again, that also gives me the option of carrying some of her gear if I need to. Starting to get the picture ? The less tired and stressed I can be, the better I can help her out as required.

I should add that Pat is all of 45KG and Thai. Now if you know anything about Thai people you will know that they love Thai food over any other type of food. Most of them anyway. Sure Pat loves any type of food. Western, Japanese, you name it. But not all the time. And Thai people don't really eat bread and potatoes much. Their staple is...........RICE. For her to live on bread and potatoes for a month would not be something she would do by choice.

So if Pat can at least get a regular helping of Rice, she will be as happy as a Pig in SxxT if you get my meaning. And that translates to me being happy too :) Having a ball of sticky rice in her pocket will keep her going all day!

So.

I was reading a story somewhere recently where a Pilgrim was amazed to see a Korean Lady in an Albergue pull out her travelling Rice Cooker. A Ha I thought!

I wonder what is the lightest available Rice Cooker on the market? I don't mean a pot. I mean a proper rice cooker that you plug into a 220V outlet........ We have a whole range of them at home, but none are that light that I would ever consider throwing it into my pack!

600-700g might just make it......... if such a thing exists.

Has anyone ever seen one?

OK, call me crazy if you must :)

jcatienza

Past OR future Camino
Frances March 2012
Frances April 2015
I normally get a room from the bars as I didn't have any wifi access.

Hi Rob, my husband and I walked the camino francis sept and oct 2012 - we stayed in private alberques, hostals, hotels, etc. and I carried 8kg of camera gear! I understand the need to make the camino your own, it seems some of us have something that is too important to leave home without. My husband and I used booking.com to find a place to stay! be warned, we ended in a couple of places that we 1k or so out of town. There were times when we needed a break and used a transport company to move our luggage to the next hotel rather than carry everything,(just the camera gear!) that might be an option for you for long days.

Babchook

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Muxia, Camino Portuguese
Hi Robo,
my reply was deleted from some reason (maybe because i have pasted a referral to a shopping site- won't do it again).
The item you are talking about does exists, there is an electric mini rice cooker, some models are very portable. just type "mini rice cooker" on google and follow the suggestions - price varies from ~ $36 - 70 US .
You shouldn't have a problem carrying it in a small bag - although i recommend carrying as little as possible :)

Enjoy your experience mate.
Cheers

Jnlee99

Past OR future Camino
Past: SJPdP -> Santo Domingo de la Calzada
Future: Santo Domingo de la Calzada -> Santiago
Back in the days, the rice was cooked in a pot over a stove - least that's what I remember when I was a kid in Korea, and it tasted so much better than from any electric cooker. When I walked last October, I had a crazy hankering for rice. Any rice! So, bunch of us (mostly Korean and one Brazilian, and one French pilgrims) went to a Chinese restaurant near our Albergue. It was the worst, and best, rice I've ever had. It's surprising what we all take for granted at home becomes so precious when not available. In hindsight, I could have bought rice from local grocery stores (yes, I saw long grain rice similar to Indian and Thai) and just cooked it in Albergue kitchen. However, most evenings I was just too tired. Lifting folk/glass from plate/table to my mouth was all the effort I wanted to put into eating.

Jnlee99

Past OR future Camino
BTW, to cook rice over the stove, this is how you do it:
- Put the rice and water in a pot with good lid.
- Turn the heat to highest level
- Wait by stove until water boils
- Turn down the heat to low-medium, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes
IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT OPEN THE LID UNTIL DONE!!!!!

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

Jnlee99

Past OR future Camino
If you put rice and boiling water into a thermos flask in the morning, rice is perfectly cooked at night... really. My cousin is gluten intolerant and he does this every morning, coming home to cooked rice in the evening. Try it before you go!
Wow, I have to try this method!

yogaflowjo

Past OR future Camino
April 2013, September 2013, April 2014, April 2015
How wonderful to look after your wife like that! We girls have our needs ... On a recent camino my girlfriend took a hair dryer and I took a straightening iron.. Travel size of course ... But a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! Happy rice cooking and Buen camino.

hampshire!tim

Past OR future Camino
Frances (2013), Ingles (2014), Finisterre (2015)
Great thinking Robo, and indeed impressed by your preparations.

I have to say that I got tired of the traditional 'pilgrim menu' with so much potato and bread. And that's as a westerner.

I did work for a Japanese bank for 5 years so I understand the rice thing for Asian stomachs.

Let us know your final solution.
I might even want similar for myself on next Camino.

The thermos approach sounds interesting. Shall have to test it. I'm worried it might become gloop after being bounced around all day. Maybe letting it cook overnight, ready to be eaten during day might be better. Experiments needed !

hampshire!tim

Past OR future Camino
Frances (2013), Ingles (2014), Finisterre (2015)
Wow I'm impressed.
Used my Stanley food thermos for rice and 1st effort was pretty good.
I got the rice:water ratio wrong (rushing), used too much rice and left it too long (8 hours). Result was too sticky. But pretty good.
Although the thermos is heavy, much more than I would have considered taking previously, I'm now working out how to fit in.
The ability to have hot food at hand during day as well as an alternative to constant potatoes and bread has justified the extra weight.
Just need to fine-tune the mix.
I used short grain Japanese rice, and I'm thinking the internet recipes may be based on long grain.
More experiments !

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings