Search 69,459 Camino Questions

youtube on the Primitivo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Now that you're sold on the Primitivo, you might want to consider adding the Salvador, which would give you 4-7 more days and a start in Leon. Just a thought, and I have to say that the stretch on the Salvador from Poladura de la Tercia to Pajares is probably the most beautiful single day I've ever walked. And with all of Ender's improvements waymarking and bridge-building, it's much more accessible to those of us without Ph.D.s in mountaineering. On second thought, though, your early departure date (late March ?) might mean there's still a lot of snow up there. Just something to consider as you plan your trip. Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Laurie:

That is a thought. I could go to Leon and check out weather conditions and then make a decision to add the Salvador or not. Four to seven days is a big spread. That said, it might be pushing a 21 day trip including travel. I will have to check out the route.

Joe

Hi, Joe,
I put the 4-7 day spread because there are so many ways to break it down. I have done it twice in 4, but the 2nd day is a long one. There's a good guide in English on the caminodelsalvador.net website and Reb has one on the CSJ website.

http://caminodelsalvador.net/?cat=13

I had thought I would do it in 5 days, but on the first day just kept walking beyond my planned stop, so wound up doing it in 4 again. I'll do it again, I'm sure, but next time I hope to spend a night in Poladura. There's a very nice Casa Rural there, and it would break up the mountain part very nicely.

But yes, it would be hard to squeeze it into a 21 day total travel trip. Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
One of my facebook friends is the albergue in Bodenaya, and Alejandro posts a lot of links and pictures about the Primitivo. Here's one that's kind of long (11 minutes) but shows some of the highlights of the walk and has good shots of some of the albergues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkR6bxx6 ... e=youtu.be
I am also sold on it - that is my next Camino together with Salvador. What is the best time of the year to do it Laurie?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Jenny,
Oh you'll love it. If I could choose any time of year, I'd make it early fall (Sept-Oct) or early summer. I think June is the perfect time of year for the Primitivo. Temps are warmer, but there aren't huge crowds. My impression is that the only time the Primitivo really gets crazy is August. I was there in mid-late June last year (arriving Santiago around June 26 or so), and we had enough people to cement that pilgrim feeling, but no crowds. And doing the Salvador right before then was also great weather, snow gone, flowers in bloom (but no other pilgrims).

I usually walk in May, but I don't think there are any disadvantages to pushing back the Primitivo till June. And that gives you a little more likelihood of better weather. We had one all-day rain, but it wasn't that chilling cold rain that makes you shiver.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for the youtube link Laurie. Great to see the places we walked again. It looked as though they had much more rain than we did (May 2012) and much wetter underfoot.
Late May into June would be a good time as you say. Not too busy, or too hot etc and hopefully drier.
Buen Camino folks. The Primitivo is amazing.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back