• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yummy Recipes for Self-Isolation

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
As some of us are returning from various European countries to a 2 week isolation, I thought it might be nice to share some recipes that are good for more than one day's eating.

This is a recipe for Azorian style Portuguese Beans.
I only use bacon and I don't add the coriander seed, but otherwise, this is the same as my grandmother's recipe.

We ate these beans for breakfast, lunch, and dinner when I was growing up.
Just the smell of them cooking will uplift the spirits!
They're always better the 2nd or 3d day.

I cook this in a little different order.

1. Soak the beans overnight
picC3tMYB.jpg
2. Rinse and cover with clean cold water and bring to a boil and cook until soft (Instapots work great)

3. While the beans are cooking, cook the bacon, onions, garlic, tomato paste, and spices in a separate skillet

3a. I don't use whole spices. I use
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cumin
I don't use coriander, but I've had it with coriander and it's good.

Also, I don't use whole tomatoes. I just use a can of tomato paste and add some water to the skillet. You can use a can of whole tomatoes also.

4. Bring the tomato mixture to a boil, then add the tomato mixture to the beans and continue to cook until soft.

Enjoy!

Portuguese Beans

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One thing that's not disappearing from grocery shelves here is canned salmon and canned mackerel.
Here is a recipe for really good salmon cakes.

1 can salmon
1 can mackerel or tuna (not mandatory - just extends the recipe)
1 egg, beaten
Handful of saltine crackers or bread crumbs
Some parsley if you have it

Mix it all up together. Leave the little bones in - they're good for you.
Make it into cakes.
Let them sit in the fridge at least 1/2 hour
Fry in olive oil

I put ketchup on mine.
Yum.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When it happens I feel that the world is reeking with despair, I sometimes make Papas aliñás (Andalusian-style potatoes):

• 600 g Potatoes – approx. 2-3 medium-sized potatoes
  • 100 g White Onion – approx. 1 small onion or 1/2 large one. Finely chopped
  • 50 g Green pepper – approx. 1/4 green pepper, finely chopped.
  • 2 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
  • 125 cl Extra virgin olive oil
  • Fresh parsley
  • 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tablespoon Salt
  • 1 tin red tuna in olive oil
  1. Chop the onion and the pepper very finely. Put in a bowl together with the sherry vinegar and leave it to marinate.
  2. Wash the potatoes, put them in a pot and cover them with water. Bring to boil, then add the salt. Cook for around 25 minutes or until done inside (this will depend on the size of the potatoes). Let them cool down.
  3. Peel the potatoes and put them in a bowl together with the olive oil. Mash the potatoes and the oil, not too much. We’re not after a puree, this should have some coarse texture. If you prefer it, you can also slide the potatoes which by the way, is the traditional way to do it.
  4. Gently mix the potatoes and the oil with the onion and green pepper marinade.
  5. Place chunks of tuna on top of the potatoes; add pieces of hard boiled eggs and a few black olives; sprinkle with a little smoked paprika and some finely chopped fresh parsley.
Serve with good, white bread.

Good as a small lunch dish or starter, but can also be a whole meal.

(This is a potato dish, so use good, tasty potatoes. The fridge has a negative impact on the flavor of the potatoes. So I’d recommend you to either leave it to cool down at room temperature and then serve it or, alternatively, put the dish in the fridge but take it out 30 minutes before you serve it so that the potatoes recover their full flavor).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nationwide news coverage reveals mass purchasing of pasta, UHT milk and toilet rolls. Any creative suggestions for a delicious dinner using these ingredients? I'm sure I must have eaten a similar concoction in school all those years ago, but I don't have a recipe.

As some of us are returning from various European countries to a 2 week isolation, I thought it might be nice to share some recipes that are good for more than one day's eating.

I only use bacon and I don't add the coriander seed, but otherwise, this is the same as my grandmother's recipe.

View attachment 71008
2. Rinse and cover with clean cold water and bring to a boil and cook until soft (Instapots work great)

3. While the beans are cooking, cook the bacon, onions, garlic, tomato paste, and spices in a separate skillet

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Also, I don't use whole tomatoes. I just use a can of tomato paste and add some water to the skillet. You can use a can of whole tomatoes also.

4. Bring the tomato mixture to a boil, then add the tomato mixture to the beans and continue to cook until soft.

Enjoy!

Portuguese Beans

Do you need extra toilet rolls? :) :)

The malingerer.!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Posted this recipe for Flemish stew or Stoofvlees three years ago.
Freezes well.
Remember only use dark beer : a Trappist or a stout, not some lager ( or you get a lecture from me :) ).

Serves four

drop of vinegar ( plain one )
2 tablespoons of sharp mustard
1 slice of bread
2 tablesoons of Sirop de Liege...you will not find this outside Belgium so best to search for a type of molasse or sticky thick jam...
1 clove
2 sprigs of thyme and 2 laurel leaves
1.5 bottle of dark beer!! a dark Trappist Rochefort or Chimay, do not use a blond one or lager! If no Trappist is found do try to find a dark ( Abbey ) beer.
pinch of salt
2 onions
1 kilo of beef ..equal parts..a sinewy part is ok , more flavour and you will braise it for hours anyway.

So heat a big pot and melt the butter.Stew the coarsely chopped onions on a medium fire, important not to brown them.

Then take a frying pan medium to high , another knob of butter and then quickly fry the chunks of beef all around. Do this in batches because too much meat in pan will let them stew instead of frying .
So small batches and work quickly. Season with pepper and salt.
Then put all chunks in pot with onions.
Keep frying pan with fat and deglaze the frying bits in the pan with the beer. So deglaze for a while until beer comes to boiling point to evaporate most alcohol.

So after that point pour this liquid in the pot with meat.

Bind laurel and thyme together for a bouquet garni and put it also in pot.
Add clove and the treacle.
Smear the slice of bread with the mustard and put it in pot too, mustard side under.

Now let the meat quietly on the stove for two or three hours without the lid on the pot. More is always better.
Prepping time depends on quality of the meat.
In between stir and taste once or twice.
When the sauce has right consistency put lid on pot and let it simmer...I do this for another 30 min.
Finishing touch with the vinegar, another stir and then if needed another twist of salt and pepper.

Perfect with fresh frites and an endives aka witloofsalad! And yes homemade mayonaise.

Last edited:
The whole isolation bit would be a good opportunity for prospective pilgrims to make lifestyle fitness changes, especially those even just 10 kilos overweight. Spend time reducing caloric intake and maybe change over to healthier foods. Regular 12-18 hour fasts, and yoga type stretches. Completely eliminate sodas and sugary drinks from the diet and replace with water. At least two litres a day. Longer walks, and work your way up to running if possible. Upper body exercises such as pushups and pullups. Push away from the table and look upon food more as fuel and less as a pleasure. Garbage food in, garbage performance out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The whole isolation bit would be a good opportunity for prospective pilgrims to make lifestyle fitness changes, especially those even just 10 kilos overweight. Spend time reducing caloric intake and maybe change over to healthier foods. Regular 12-18 hour fasts, and yoga type stretches. Completely eliminate sodas and sugary drinks from the diet and replace with water. At least two litres a day. Longer walks, and work your way up to running if possible. Upper body exercises such as pushups and pullups. Push away from the table and look upon food more as fuel and less as a pleasure. Garbage food in, garbage performance out.

I almost agree with you until you got to looking at food as fuel and not pleasure.
I really LOVE food and you don't have to eat MUCH, but you should enjoy what you DO eat, imo. :)

I almost agree with you until you got to looking at food as fuel and not pleasure.
I really LOVE food and you don't have to eat MUCH, but you should enjoy what you DO eat, imo. :)

Indeed! IMHO food is part of culture. Food is sharing and sitting around a table ( not in front of a TV ) and celebrating life. And being thankful.

A friend pointed me towards a recipe for vegan tortilla a year or two back. I was very doubtful about it but I was very pleasantly surprised by the result. Good solid comfort food! Though I am an omnivore I still make this from time to time myself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When it happens I feel that the world is reeking with despair, I sometimes make Papas aliñás (Andalusian-style potatoes):

• 600 g Potatoes – approx. 2-3 medium-sized potatoes
  • 100 g White Onion – approx. 1 small onion or 1/2 large one. Finely chopped
  • 50 g Green pepper – approx. 1/4 green pepper, finely chopped.
  • 2 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
  • 125 cl Extra virgin olive oil
  • Fresh parsley
  • 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tablespoon Salt
  • 1 tin red tuna in olive oil
  1. Chop the onion and the pepper very finely. Put in a bowl together with the sherry vinegar and leave it to marinate.
  2. Wash the potatoes, put them in a pot and cover them with water. Bring to boil, then add the salt. Cook for around 25 minutes or until done inside (this will depend on the size of the potatoes). Let them cool down.
  3. Peel the potatoes and put them in a bowl together with the olive oil. Mash the potatoes and the oil, not too much. We’re not after a puree, this should have some coarse texture. If you prefer it, you can also slide the potatoes which by the way, is the traditional way to do it.
  4. Gently mix the potatoes and the oil with the onion and green pepper marinade.
  5. Place chunks of tuna on top of the potatoes; add pieces of hard boiled eggs and a few black olives; sprinkle with a little smoked paprika and some finely chopped fresh parsley.
Serve with good, white bread.

Good as a small lunch dish or starter, but can also be a whole meal.

(This is a potato dish, so use good, tasty potatoes. The fridge has a negative impact on the flavor of the potatoes. So I’d recommend you to either leave it to cool down at room temperature and then serve it or, alternatively, put the dish in the fridge but take it out 30 minutes before you serve it so that the potatoes recover their full flavor).
Wow, Turga...I'm impressed! I'll add chef to you already being a clever punner, math/geek wiz, and tortoise extrordinaire!

Last edited:
@Anniesantiago -

You are a generous spirit! What a wonderful gift to the rest of us after having such a trying time personally.

And @SabineP , @Turga, and @Bradypus - very nice contributions to my recipes collection, thank you!

Though they might not measure up to your contributions, I will throw in a couple of my own:

Inspired by La Escuela, just below O Cebreiro: "Pollo Cerveza" (file attached)

Inspired by a nondescript cafe overlooking the waterfront at Fisterra: "Tostados Peregrino" (file attached)

Adapted from a recipe from the most excellent "Twelve Months of Monastery Soups" to what I actually have found on Camino Frances in many places over the years: "French Lentil Soup/Stew" (vegans will go for the soup version, omnivores will fix on my appended notes...file attached)

Cheers to all!

B

Attachments

• Pollo Cerveza.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Tostadas Peregrino - Fisterra Tuna Melt.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 53
  • French Lentil Soup.pdf
    183.5 KB · Views: 58
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@FooteK-

"Maybe we're looking at a cookbook fundraiser?"

I thought this an excellent idea! Then, my "not on Camino" brain kicked in..."Well, who is going to curate and collate such an effort?"

Alternate suggestion - - How about anyone finding value from the recipes here kicks in 5-10 euro to the Forum as a donation?

Obviously, it is an honor system, but getting down to the basics?

Camino meal ingredients are inexpensive though the resultant meal is a fond and warm memory for us peregrina/o(s ). And, for our friends and family, likely something new and exotic which also brings them just a wee bit closer to understanding our newly acquired taste of simplicity refined.

A lot of "few euro" can go a long way.

Yes, I also have selfish motives. I may never go Camino-ing again but I vote for a long-lived Forum. (Now I just have to rustle around to where I left my wallet. I am blessed with "senior moments" lately...too much work and so little play. And I have no idea how to stage a "pity party" in a digital world.;))

Just a thought,

B

A friend pointed me towards a recipe for vegan tortilla a year or two back. I was very doubtful about it but I was very pleasantly surprised by the result. Good solid comfort food! Though I am an omnivore I still make this from time to time myself.
I've never seen a vegan tortilla recipe before. I have a friend who is allergic to eggs - I'll have to give her this recipe!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I enjoy not having diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure, knee replacements or getting my arteries bored out even more lol
I'll stick to fuel food and exercise lol

I've never seen a vegan tortilla recipe before. I have a friend who is allergic to eggs - I'll have to give her this recipe!
A suggestion from my own experiments with the recipe. The "black salt" or Kala Namak is not easy to find where I live. An alternative to give something of the slightly sulphurous taste of egg to the dish is to use a small amount of asafoetida in the chickpea flour mix. Usually easy to find in shops which sell Indian food ingredients.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
At least two litres a day.

@RJM , lot of good ideas about soda and other sugar infested liquids.

My local health/nutrition people say 2 litres of liquid a day.

2 litres a day of liquid a day could include your preferences from coffee, tea, orange and other juices, soups and (of course) water. And any other (non-sugary) liquids would also count towards that total of about 2 litres of liquid a day.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No eggs here today in our local supermarkets in uk. I am about to make Caldo verde but am putting chorizo in mine. Great idea to cook comfort food whilst isolating

I am following the thread with interest. I need to wait till I am desperate though before looking for some of the ingredients on some of the recipes, as there is food in the freezer and this will be the time for detoxing that stuff! (I am terrified of some of the ingredients in the vegan tortilla!) I think I will stick to tried and true. Tomorrow, for example, it looks like we will have some kind of meat casserole. Beef? Lamb? Pork?. All will be revealed. I am about to have a Skype call with someone in Poland. I will find the answer to my question about how to cook the leftover noodles or pasta from our last Polish visitor! Waste not, want not. Bon appetit, Buen aprovecho!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A variation on the tortilla is the frittata.
I made it from some leftovers tonight.
Potatoecubes, leek, some mushrooms, low fat bacon , bit of parmesan and of course two eggs...
Twenty minutes in oven et voilà.
Instant albergue/kitchen feeling :).

Thinking about those small tiendas on the Camino Francès. I remember vividly a small grocery store in Mansilla de las Mulas where I was able to buy three individual mushrooms! How the lady carefully packed them for me in a small brown bag. Mixed it with some canned tuna , passata and pasta.
And the well equipped kitchen of the municipal albergue there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nationwide news coverage reveals mass purchasing of pasta, UHT milk and toilet rolls. Any creative suggestions for a delicious dinner using these ingredients? I'm sure I must have eaten a similar concoction in school all those years ago, but I don't have a recipe.
At my yoga class on Friday (when classes were cancelled for the foreseeable future) there was a pile of food odds and ends, mostly outdated, for us seniors to take with us, to empty the stock. I found a tin of tomato sauce and a box of macaroni and cheese. I could add lots of things to the tomato sauce, but I thought I was out of pasta, so I took the box of mac and cheese as well, planning to use the macaroni only. I was a little surprised to find a partial box of better quality pasta when I got home, so the mac and cheese is for emergency use only.

A suggestion from my own experiments with the recipe. The "black salt" or Kala Namak is not easy to find where I live. An alternative to give something of the slightly sulphurous taste of egg to the dish is to use a small amount of asafoetida in the chickpea flour mix. Usually easy to find in shops which sell Indian food ingredients.

Someone’s been reading the Guardian! 😉😄

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Posted this recipe for Flemish stew or Stoofvlees three years ago.
Freezes well.
Remember only use dark beer : a Trappist or a stout, not some lager ( or you get a lecture from me :) ).

Serves four

drop of vinegar ( plain one )
2 tablespoons of sharp mustard
1 slice of bread
2 tablesoons of Sirop de Liege...you will not find this outside Belgium so best to search for a type of molasse or sticky thick jam...
1 clove
2 sprigs of thyme and 2 laurel leaves
1.5 bottle of dark beer!! a dark Trappist Rochefort or Chimay, do not use a blond one or lager! If no Trappist is found do try to find a dark ( Abbey ) beer.
pinch of salt
2 onions
1 kilo of beef ..equal parts..a sinewy part is ok , more flavour and you will braise it for hours anyway.

So heat a big pot and melt the butter.Stew the coarsely chopped onions on a medium fire, important not to brown them.

Then take a frying pan medium to high , another knob of butter and then quickly fry the chunks of beef all around. Do this in batches because too much meat in pan will let them stew instead of frying .
So small batches and work quickly. Season with pepper and salt.
Then put all chunks in pot with onions.
Keep frying pan with fat and deglaze the frying bits in the pan with the beer. So deglaze for a while until beer comes to boiling point to evaporate most alcohol.

So after that point pour this liquid in the pot with meat.

Bind laurel and thyme together for a bouquet garni and put it also in pot.
Add clove and the treacle.
Smear the slice of bread with the mustard and put it in pot too, mustard side under.

Now let the meat quietly on the stove for two or three hours without the lid on the pot. More is always better.
Prepping time depends on quality of the meat.
In between stir and taste once or twice.
When the sauce has right consistency put lid on pot and let it simmer...I do this for another 30 min.
Finishing touch with the vinegar, another stir and then if needed another twist of salt and pepper.

Perfect with fresh frites and an endives aka witloofsalad! And yes homemade mayonaise.
Tell us more about Sirop de Liege please.

Good Morning,
love this thread especially with your geographic input.
What gone out of our selves ... never seen it like this here.
I wonder what will they do later when they get tired of canned soup and noodles tomato sauce?
We have a home made noodle here called little sparrow, but since I am hopeless to make proper Sparrows ( Spätzle) here the Franconian Version called spoon sparrows. They are a bit like dumplings you have in the south in chicken soup.

You need flower a handful a bit of water an egg salt.
You take your fork and mix all ingredients in a bowl if too liquidy add some flower if to dry add a little bit of water.
The dough should look and feel like glue . Then a big pot with boiling salt water. Now reach with a little spoon first into the boiling water then separate half a spoon full of mass and drop it with the help of your second spoon. Repeat until all your dough is gone. Let boil until the sparrow all float on the top hence your large pot for 2 min more then if you like the chees version you spoon them out in a skillet with a little butter , Rost them a bit add some grated cheese and serve piping hot. You can serve any kind of salat or canned fruit. Without the cheese and the roasting is a side dish whenever you would have noodles. It’s fun to make especially with kids because they can make a mess with the dough and mine simply loved them. Fränkische Lóffelspatzen.

Hi Sabine, there is flaw to your recipe. I learnt cooking from my dad and he from his grandmother. There should be two bottles of beer. One fore the stew one for the cook, same goes for the wine. Never use cheep wine or in your case cheep beer. Is the dark beer a more malty beer into the sweet direction or dark and potent.?
Love your stew and will make it.

Hi Sabine, there is flaw to your recipe. I learnt cooking from my dad and he from his grandmother. There should be two bottles of beer. One fore the stew one for the cook, same goes for the wine. Never use cheep wine or in your case cheep beer. Is the dark beer a more malty beer into the sweet direction or dark and potent.?
Love your stew and will make it.

Interesting question @Delphinoula . It does depend on your taste really and the combination with the other ingredients. I prefer a Trappist Rochefort 6 which is malty and sweet and ends a bit bitter.

It gives a good contrast with the mustard in the sauce.

Last edited:
Tell us more about Sirop de Liege please.

Here you go.

I believe that nearly every Belgian household has a pot in the cupboard!
A buckwheat pancake with bacon and some Stroop! Yum.

Our region ( lots of orchards ) is also famous for our local Stroop.
And old Stroopfactory is now rebuild and houses a very interesting museum about the live of the farmers, the industry around the making of stroop and how life in this city was in those days.

Museum is now closed of course due to the Corona crisis.
The old tramwayline ( made for getting the fruit from orchard to factory ) are now revamped and we can use them as a walking and cyclingpath.

From craftmanship to industry ( the first steammachines ).

I could go on and on about this wonderful cultural heritage but I will stop :).

Tomorrow, to a shop for epicures on the South side of the city... they will have it for sure. And I will look for some beer. I never buy it so will need to take the name with me. And Delphinoula is leading you astray, Sabine. I liked the sound and look of the recipe, Delphinoula. Added to my list. Thanks!

Well, my recipe has to be this, though it's not very healthy. I've made it several times since coming back and everyone has loved it. It's also very scaleable and very easy.

Tarta de Santiago

Preheat oven to 180C, 350F/gas mark 4

Mix together 250 grammes ground almonds, 250 grammes castor sugar, 5 large beaten eggs, zest of half a lemon. Pour into a greased tin 28cm diameter (I don't have one but I've made it in a 20 cm tin, and also a 2 egg version in a 17cm cast iron pan. You just need to test for doneness and adjust cooking time as necessary)

Bake for 35 minutes.

Cut out a St James's cross and place in the centre of the tarta. Sieve icing sugar over, and carefully remove the cross.
Hope this recipe translates OK to north american and antipodean kitchens, and that you find some eggs.

I'm enjoying this thread and this forum, though I feel slightly fraudulent having achieved just 2 weeks of CF last year! Thank you all.

Good Morning,
here a way to prepare potatoes It’s good for slim purses . Don’t worry if you do not understand it. She is having some fresh if possible orange juice some lemon juice potatoe salt and olive oil. If you serve it with finely slices white cabbage with salt and a bit of lemon it is a very satisfying meals . Of course if your rich you can add a little piece of cheese or some olives.
We make it without orange juice and unfortunately I don’t have an outside dome shaped oven.

Another lovely day has dawned. No prohibition yet on going outside. I keep my distance, I take the path less travelled. I hope to find a couple of items for trying out some of the recipes current on this thread. Yesterday I made a delicious tea Brack. i am too lazy to look for my printed copy and try to sort the scanner, so here are a couple of alternatives. I used whole meal flour, the recipe I have asked for spelt but that is not to be had. I will try again today for that. I used a small amount of Canadian maple syrup instead of sugar, and also 2 eggs. I used baking parchment instead of butter. I cut it after a while, and after giving some to our neighbours, we had a little taste of it. Get cracking! You will not regret it, and the smell is very different, but just as appealing in its own way as fresh tortilla from the cafe on the left in Burguete, on a little square...
The baking parchment was for lining the tin, not an ingredient!!!

Good Morning,
here a way to prepare potatoes It’s good for slim purses . Don’t worry if you do not understand it. She is having some fresh if possible orange juice some lemon juice potatoe salt and olive oil. If you serve it with finely slices white cabbage with salt and a bit of lemon it is a very satisfying meals . Of course if your rich you can add a little piece of cheese or some olives.
We make it without orange juice and unfortunately I don’t have an outside dome shaped oven.
The day after tomorrow! Written on the calendar! Thank you!

Well, maybe tomorrow... first, these:
AD013E77-9E55-4AAF-812A-CB7D95FEA2C2.jpeg
A neighbour wanted to do something so I set her a challenge to find padrón peppers. I knew she would. We have arranged to pay each other for any shopping, so it is ok to ask. It is so easy to cook these. And much easier to eat them!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Where else can I post this? Only here. One of my brothers sent this round to us all, and it picks up our peculiar sense of humour in face of hardship. Hardship? Not exactly, but maybe adversity. The only connection with recipe is the chocolate rubbish he bought, really going back to childhood treats when a packet would have gone round the lot of us (six siblings) !

Attachments

• 19F56525-A30A-4EC9-9DD2-262F6451F9CD.jpeg
    19F56525-A30A-4EC9-9DD2-262F6451F9CD.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 29

View attachment 71008

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Enjoy!

Portuguese Beans
I might have missed it but what kind of beans do you use? Just canned kidney/red/pinto beans or would any be ok? thanks!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At home during this isolation time, I've been looking through my grandmother's recipe collections and enjoying making tasty comfort meals - things that I loved to eat when I would visit them. They're also handy because they mostly use very basic ingredients that I tend to have.

A favourite that's great with a simple green salad:

Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust

Heat oven to 400 degree (F) or 200 degree (C)

Crust:
2 cups packed grated raw potato
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup grated onion

Set the freshly grated potato in a colander over a bowl. Salt it and leave it for 10 minutes. Then squeeze out the excess water and add it to the remaining ingredients. Pat the potatoes into an oiled 9 inch pie pan, building up the sides of the crust with lightly floured fingers. Bake for 40-45 minutes until browned. After the first 30 minutes, brush the crust with a little oil to crispen it.

Turn down oven to 375 deg (F)

Filling:
1 packed cup grated cheddar cheese
1 medium cauliflower, broken into small flowerets
1 medium clove crushed garlic
1 cup chopped onion
3 tblsp butter
dash of thyme
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs & 1 cup milk (beaten together)
black pepper to taste
paprika

Sauté the onions and garlic, lightly salted, in butter for 5 minutes. Add herbs and cauliflower and cook, covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spread half the cheese into the baked potato crust, then the sauté, then the rest of the cheese. Pour the custard over and dust with paprika. Bake 35 - 40 minutes until set.

And for something sweet: An easy cake.

Plum Torte

3/4 cup PLUS 1 or 2 tablespoons sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
Pinch salt
24 halves pitted small plums or 12 halves large plums
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350°F (180 C)

In an electric mixer, cream the 3/4 cup sugar and butter. Add the flour, baking powder, eggs, and salt and beat to mix well. Place in an 8 or 9 inch lightly buttered square pan. Cover the top with the plums, skin side up. Mix the cinnamon with the remaining 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar and sprinkle over the top.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the center tests done with a toothpick. Remove and cool to room temperature or serve warm. Great with whipped cream!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ROSQUILLETAS
Good Morning Neighbors,
since cooking is a way to keep soul and body together, here what I will fix. My Dad used to name it whatgodwill... it is leftovers made into a stew. I add water and spices and serve it as a soup.
And here the best part for me I make my owne breadsticks.. Not fancy.
Since fresh yeast is not to be had I found a dry pack in the back of my cupboard. Yeah.
Now I make a predough to bring the yeast back to live. Add a bit of water sugar and flower, stir it and wait until it bubbles. Then add flower and water and saltBF9840A5-96B6-4EA2-B69F-769BC2CD4836.jpeg 3020BCDC-865D-49BF-8DE8-3DEE8BD2778D.jpeg7EAE9D0A-F118-4637-A132-3EF8CBD812BD.jpeg6A1E6117-D0DF-4ACE-94CD-98EEE4302A31.jpeg
and since it’s freezing here I place it into my Dutch oven pot or creuset that I had warmed up on my heater.
When it’s done rising I’ll post some more.
meanwhile don’t loose heart.
So patience paid out. Here more and yes it is a tapa as wellE5471B90-4D44-46AD-96FD-F45C3885AC9A.jpeg9D943F8E-8089-484A-AD28-B273DE92D578.jpeg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Caldo gallego with lots of kale from our garden tomorrow to celebrate our first day of a month’s lockdown in NZ....there will be plenty of time to work through the rest of the recipes. Thanks everyone.

One thing that's not disappearing from grocery shelves here is canned salmon and canned mackerel.
Here is a recipe for really good salmon cakes.

1 can salmon
1 can mackerel or tuna (not mandatory - just extends the recipe)
1 egg, beaten
Handful of saltine crackers or bread crumbs
Some parsley if you have it

Mix it all up together. Leave the little bones in - they're good for you.
Make it into cakes.
Let them sit in the fridge at least 1/2 hour
Fry in olive oil

I put ketchup on mine.
Yum.
Thank you just found a can in the my cupboard and now I know what to do with it. Any substitutes for the crackers? Bread crumps?

It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood a beautiful day ............
Not exactly a recipe , but I thought this is great. A Greek restaurant owner provides meals to go for the medical staff in the town so they do not have to go hungry after their long shifts. When asked how he finances himself he said he had take out a loan anyway and so he feels better cooking and doing. The only thing was he was asking his colleagues for containers. I called if I can buy a meals for a nurse he said no, because of our strict curfew laws, but he could accept a tip. So a tip he got.

I make soup for pot luck dinners from V8 brand vegetable drink. It makes a lot so not so great for these social distancing days. Maybe you could freeze it in smaller portions. We've never returned with enough to bother freezing.

I copied the text below from a light-hearted forum thread from a couple of years ago. That's why the picture shows an unusual topping. The butter knife in the pot is standing up by itself (I make thick soup).

Screenshot_20181122-092739.png

Recipe for V8 soup: V8, vegetables, heat and eat.

I make it only for feasts in a three quart crock pot and I only put in vegetables I like. The V8 drink comes in a quart and a half bottle (about 1.3 liters) and I use the low salt version. I pour that into the pot first and then fill the pot with cut up veggies. Not completely full as it will expand. I use dried, fresh, canned and frozen vegetables.

This year I skipped the radishes but added lentils and potatoes (frozen French fries for baking cut into small cubes.) I thought about adding some combination of rice, wild rice and pasta this year but decided to keep it just vegetables.

The V8 ingredients are tomato, carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress and spinach. I added diced tomatoes, sliced carrots and celery and cut spinach (from the V8 ingredients.) This year I also added pearl onions, wax and green beans, corn (maize), potatoes, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and lentils. I keep adjusting the temperature on the crock pot from high to low while test tasting until it can go low until served.

Great for crowds as nearly everyone can eat it. No gluten, nuts or dairy. Low salt, low sugar, low fat. That of course depends on the toppings you decorate it with.

I make soup for pot luck dinners from V8 brand vegetable drink. It makes a lot so not so great for these social distancing days. Maybe you could freeze it in smaller portions. We've never returned with enough to bother freezing.

I copied the text below from a light-hearted forum thread from a couple of years ago. That's why the picture shows an unusual topping. The butter knife in the pot is standing up by itself (I make thick soup).

View attachment 71867

Recipe for V8 soup: V8, vegetables, heat and eat.

I make it only for feasts in a three quart crock pot and I only put in vegetables I like. The V8 drink comes in a quart and a half bottle (about 1.3 liters) and I use the low salt version. I pour that into the pot first and then fill the pot with cut up veggies. Not completely full as it will expand. I use dried, fresh, canned and frozen vegetables.

This year I skipped the radishes but added lentils and potatoes (frozen French fries for baking cut into small cubes.) I thought about adding some combination of rice, wild rice and pasta this year but decided to keep it just vegetables.

The V8 ingredients are tomato, carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress and spinach. I added diced tomatoes, sliced carrots and celery and cut spinach (from the V8 ingredients.) This year I also added pearl onions, wax and green beans, corn (maize), potatoes, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and lentils. I keep adjusting the temperature on the crock pot from high to low while test tasting until it can go low until served.

Great for crowds as nearly everyone can eat it. No gluten, nuts or dairy. Low salt, low sugar, low fat. That of course depends on the toppings you decorate it with.

Don’t you make this for a special occasion?
I seem to remember it was for either 4th July, or Thanksgiving ... ?

I have it copied already 😉😄

Sadly, I have to leave the lentils out 🥺

Don’t you make this for a special occasion?
I seem to remember it was for either 4th July, or Thanksgiving ... ?
A friend who hosts a Thanksgiving dinner for friends practically begs for this in his invitation. We usually host Christmas dinner but this doesn't always appear there because Peg has enough stuff going on in the kitchen.

Put in or take out anything you want to. I change it every time. The only requirement is using V8 for the stock (otherwise it is cheating calling it V8 soup).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good Morning,
I remember a recipe from my Grandmother. Milk noodles. It’s easy and fast so you do not have to use a lot of energy , in her case wood, to heat milk up add noodles and let them simmer until tender.
Then you barter some toilet paper for sugar or honey sweeting you’re noodles as you like and barter some more toilet paper for cinnamon or chocolate powder. If you have a sweetener you keep the toilet paper for its original purpose. According to the song what goes up must...
1585295279628.jpeg

This is the best I have had since I feel in love with the on my CP 2018!
Yes yes yes a
pasteis de Nara and a Brazilian Espresso to go with it.

About 20 km from Porto I had my first pastel and I fall in love with the combination of really good coffee and a little sweet just enough to make you heart sing.
I asked one of the guys that worked in that bakery and he said his mom’s were better and when I asked for the recipe he nodded and disappeared. So I thought that was that and my communication skills are not what I believed they were. So after my brake on I went ...and I heard somebody calling I did not thing this was for me after all I did not know anybody there and continue walking But then my nosiness got the better of me. I turned around to see the kid I asked earlier. He brung me a piece of paper with his mother’s recipe in Portugiese of course . I have kept this piece of paper ripped out of a school exercise book all this time, but now I seemed not to be able to find it. All I remember was sugar , nata and eggs for the filling.
So thank you for this short trip to the Camino Portuguese.

From "1080 Recipes" by Simone and Inés Ortega.
Delicious. Comfort food in this cold winter time.
I might have needed a bit more water, but never mind, it tasted gorgeous.
The picture with the golden liquid is not essential, but helps...
Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 10.58.25.pngScreenshot 2020-03-28 at 10.58.48.pngScreenshot 2020-03-28 at 10.59.11.png

Thank you Anniesantiago (post no 1) for the Azore bean recipe. It is delicious - especially when partnered with wine from the Iberian Peninsular.

All these comfort foods ... :)
I had a hankering for some corn bread the other morning. Made some for breakfast and dined on it for the rest of the day - with honey butter, to which I was introduced several years ago in a restaurant on the other side of the border. So delicious ...! 😊

Ha ha, Paladina, you've reminded me of one of my theatre professors from many years ago who told the story of a restaurateur he once knew who was famous in Italy and around for his veal piccata. It was so delicate and thin from pounding the meat, people were amazed. Customers and critics alike praised him. Later, after the chef died, it turned out this fellow was using toilet roll 2 or 3 layers thin and not veal! Thanks for the memories!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

View attachment 71008

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Enjoy!

Portuguese Beans

View attachment 71008

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Enjoy!

Portuguese Beans
Gotta have the chocolate!
TIFFIN
Melt 100 g butter,150 g chopped dark chocolate, 150 g chopped milk chocolate. Add 150 g golden syrup, pinch salt, , 200 g crushed biscuits, 100 g raisins, 75 g chopped glace cherries, 75 g chopped nuts. Press into 8x8 pan. Let it sit 5 min. Fridge 2 hrs

I don't put in the nuts. Sometimes I put in raisins. Sometimes dried cherries (not glace). Sometimes no extras so I can focus in the chocolate.

Gotta have the chocolate!
TIFFIN
Melt 100 g butter,150 g chopped dark chocolate, 150 g chopped milk chocolate. Add 150 g golden syrup, pinch salt, , 200 g crushed biscuits, 100 g raisins, 75 g chopped glace cherries, 75 g chopped nuts. Press into 8x8 pan. Let it sit 5 min. Fridge 2 hrs

I don't put in the nuts. Sometimes I put in raisins. Sometimes dried cherries (not glace). Sometimes no extras so I can focus in the chocolate.
Wish I could use your recipe. Not allowed, chocolate. And by the way, I just love your avatar photo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, and my effort turned out rather differently. Just let’s say I will not use yeast that is a year out of date again, nor will I use wholemeal flour. Otherwise, waste not want not, they will be eaten!
Now, if I posted this already, pretend I didn’t.
Ingredients:
your favourite type of pasta
a few bits of garlic peeled and chopped
a handful of pine nuts or more likely sunflower seeds
a couple of slices of thin and crispy pancetta
parsley
olive oil
parmesan cheese or even cheddar, grated
a bottle of wine
Method: give a glass to the sous chef who will peel and chop the garlic
dry roast the garlic on a pan, with a teeny amount of oil.
remove the garlic, top up the sous chef’s glass.
toast nuts/seeds (and be ready to use a butterfly net to catch the sunflower seeds)
Have a seat. Relax with a glass of wine for ten minutes. (Isn’t that what they mean in all the recipes when they say put in fridge and relax?)
Give the replacement chef a glass of wine, and top up the glass of the sous chef.
remove the seeds/nuts.
Quickly cook the pancetta and remove, cutting it up with scissors.
Meantime, main chef has been eyeing everyone else balefully, but saying nothing.
Be very careful, Main chef has a lot of power so pour a half glass for main chef and hand it over sweetly.
Main chef by now is sure the pasta is ready, so heat up the pan with a good glug of oil, put all ingredients in, plus a good shake of parsley. Drain pasta, mix in to the hot pan, stir etc, drain your glass, and call everyone to the table.
If there is any wine left drink it quick before they appear.
Enjoy.
Oh, yes, open a bottle of wine...

If you have no yeast there is way to make it yourself. I will try it out and then report. Old dry yeast make a pre dough first to with sugar and warm water and a bit of flower to see if it’s starting to bubble.
Anybody tried pan fried bread?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you have no yeast there is way to make it yourself. I will try it out and then report. Old dry yeast make a pre dough first to with sugar and warm water and a bit of flower to see if it’s starting to bubble.

Just received some organic Greek yoghurt, so I’ll be attempting this tomorrow 😉

I remember making pizza bases in a frying pan, on an old primus stove, in an amazing old apartment in Athens in the early 70s ... worked brilliantly 😄

Home made Greek Yogurt,
in case your milk approaches the used by times here what to do with is before it turns sour.
In Athens I did not have such luxuries like an oven just a propane gas cooker. It worked for all my needs and my neighbors did the same. If you went back to your village there were those domed oven. In the city we would bring our pizzas cakes and chicken in the oven to the local backer and for literally nothing a couple of drachmas he would bake your goods. My Mome remembers bringing wheels of cakes to the bakery for backing and if you are lucky you still have one near by just ask if he can.
But back to Greek yogurt.
i found second hand a little yogurt maker like this 1586162090321.jpeg and substituted the inner vessel with a Pickel glas so not to use plastic around my yogurt. For Greek yogurt you would use then after it’s done about 12 h in warm surroundings you would filter it through a cloth. I made an easy contraption with a piece of old sheets, yes please wash🙂 fastened with a rubber band on the outside rim of your bowl let it drip -I did it in a fridge - until reduced to a third of its original volume. The drippings you can use for smoothpies, the rest is Greek yogurt with no additives. As fattier the milk is as smoother the yogurt will be.
no yogurt maker just look what they sell. A cool one is this made out of an Keramik Pot with lid and a beanie to keep it warm
1586163241479.jpeg Or and 70ties stile baby botttle warmer. 1586163502124.jpeg So why not sent your creative yogurtmakers. Cons you have to wait a bit until it’s ready pros only milk there a vegan recipe as well no fillers no wast no plastic to throw away. Sugar only as needed and tomorrow I make my tsaziki.

Instructions.
Heat the milk. Do not boil you kill the yogurt cultures. Pour the milk into a pot and place over medium to medium-high heat. Cool the milk. Thin the yogurt ( only plain yogurt with live cultures only need a couple of spoon) milk. Whisk the thinned yogurt into the milk. Transfer the pot to the (turned-off) oven. Keep warm. Wait for the yogurt to set. Cool the yogurt. Your next batch of homemade yogurt.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

If you have time you could make a sourdough. Put a couple of dessert spoons of flour into a wide topped jar and mix with enough water to make a slurry. Close the jar and leave on your worktop. Add a spoon of flour each day and water to keep it slurry like. It will begin to bubble strongly after about a week. You have a sourdough. It is a colony of yeasts found in the air and will leaven bread well but is perhaps a little slower to rise than commercial dough. It will also flavour your bread. When using it keep some back and feed as before and you have starter for the next loaf.

Last edited:
Late to the party on this one but, if you've a cupboard full of cans and no ideas, you could do worse than follow Jack Monroe she's kind of quirky and not everybody's cup of tea but a hero in our house and not for her cooking (it's a political thing so verboten here).

For those of you in the UK, from Monday 13th April the BBC will be showing a brand new live morning TV show, at 10am on BBC One, Monday to Friday - be there or be hungry!

τζατζίκi
Now my yogurt is done. If you do not have Greek one than use 50% of your plain yogurt and 50% sour cream or creme freche. Chop some cucumber ad a bit of salt , discard the cucumber water, maybe for a smoothie. Then grinned as much garlic you like mixed it together with the yogurt add some salt maybe a bit of vinegar and olive oil. Will work with your hand held mixer only don’t chop the cucumber too fine. Let rest and there you have your tzaziki.4C0130F5-2BE8-413E-94E7-01C1991A5ECC.jpeg

I love anchovies – I have a small cookbook with only anchovies dishes! Here is one of my favorites, which can be part of a tapas serving or a small starter in itself – or just a small snack. It is easy to make and it is delicious!

Aubergine sandwiches with anchovies.

• 1 aubergine (eggplant)
  • Fresh basil leaves
  • Fresh Parmesan cheese
  • 1 glass of anchovies (good quality) in oil
  • Breadcrumb
  • 1-2 eggs
  • Virgin olive oil

• Cut the aubergine into thin slices (approx. 3 mm)
  • On half of the slices, put some thin slices of Parmesan, 2 anchovies and 2 big leaves of fresh basil.
  • Put another slice of aubergine on top to make the sandwiches.
  • Stir/whip the eggs to a homogenous mass in a flat bowl.
  • While holding the small sandwiches together (can be a bit tricky) turn them over in the egg mass and afterwards in the breadcrumb.
  • Fry them slowly in the olive oil on a skillet until dark golden color. It is important that the heat is not too high, so that the sandwiches can fry on both sides for some minutes. That way the anchovies will become all soft and the Parmesan will melt.
Enjoy them hot with small bites of good, white bread and perhaps small bites of fresh tomatoes. A good vino tinto adds to the pleasure…. :)

If you have time you could make a sourdough. Put a couple of dessert spoons of flour into a wide topped jar and mix with enough water to make a slurry. Close the jar and leave on your worktop. Add a spoon of flour each day and water to keep it slurry like. It will begin to bubble strongly after about a week. You have a sourdough. It is a colony of yeasts found in the air and will leaven bread well but is perhaps a little slower to rise than commercial dough. It will also flavour your bread. When using it keep some back and feed as before and you have starter for the next loaf.
Just a question: do you not need to leave the jar open to allow the wild yeast in? I have done this with a cheesecloth covering and it worked well but took several days to really get going. My son and i did this as a project when he was about seven for a project his class was doing on ancient civilizations. Then I made bread with the class. Such fun! Many of his classmates had no idea that one could make bread at home!

There will be yeasts in the flour, yeasts in the jar and yeasts in air as you make the mix. I don't think it matters whether it is closed or not, but I use a Kilner jar with a wire frame holding the lid to the jar and I leave it cracked, to stop things falling in, until it starts to bubble and then close it. It will take about a week to get going and then you control the growth by how much you feed it. I doubt there is a perfect system

It was used by the wagon trains crossing America, the gold prospectors in the Yukon and, I believe the Boers in South Africa while they trekked. (The prospectors became known as "sourdoughs" and there is a book of poems called "Songs of a Sourdough" by Robert W Service which is entertaining) It is an ancient technique as you know.

If you have a system which works for you then I would be tempted to repeat it. Your sourdough will be unique to you as the yeasts in your home will have a unique mix of cultures. Try it again it makes great tasting bread.

€149,-
Strawberry Cake

while enjoying our easter Monday off I thought I make a strawberry cake for this afternoon coffee or for as you brothers over the northern border say for your tea.
INGREDIENTS
3 egg whites
80 gr. sugar
1 teaspoon Borbon vanilla sugar
3 egg yolk
80 gr.Flour
0.5 tsp baking powder
margarine Or butter and breadcrumbs for separating dough from pan.C368568A-697C-461E-A795-FA26B5E5C9A3.jpeg4FD64F6A-7BC6-4192-AFC8-B3D59BF86BEC.jpeg9891E71A-D21D-452A-AB88-06F42309150A.jpeg
you mixed the egg white added sugar and vanilla sugar, stirred in egg yolk then spoon by spoon flower and baking powder baked it for 10 to 15 min at 180 degrees Celsius. Now I let it cool and prepare the topping
vanilla pudding, strawberries and Gelatine topping........ when ready I shall post my next picture
well I prefer my strawberries with Champagne but now that I made the cake
E5F11055-061B-412E-84DD-BB7B5E1756B8.jpeg
I guess I should have left more strawberries for the cake. But here it is.
I wish could youall invite to a piece.
27F5743F-DFD5-43FD-B425-7BDD643DC244.jpeg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good Morning Neighbors,
so I tried that pan bread and I must say it did not turn out too well maybe my stove or maybe not the right whether for the dough, but it was eaten.
Yesterday I found a huge reddish at the crochers and now it turn into a low calorie salad
you need obviously a reddish, shredded, add salt, lemon juice and a little bit oil. tata finished....... goes great with a piece of buttered bread and a beer. Fast inexpensive and healthy.46240041-A148-4AC0-91AF-B6DBE1142DD4.jpeg

I had the best Lentil Soup of my life in Lorca. Does anyone have a great Spanish Lentil Soup recipe??

This is what I need, thank you very much for starting this interesting and practical topic. In fact, I am collecting some simple recipes. For a person who does not use the kitchen a lot, simple recipes can have a higher success rate. I am making vegetarian noodles recently, and I found that zucchini noodles are very suitable for me. As long as there is a small zucchini slicer, everything will become very easy. I can mix and match any seasoning, it will not be too unpleasant. Recommended recipe for zucchini noodles!

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.35.19.png
Why did these come into my mind this morning? Within a half hour of finding a recipe online I took the photo. Light as a feather...

View attachment 74880
Why did these come into my mind this morning? Within a half hour of finding a recipe online I took the photo. Light as a feather...
@kirkie
I was very attracted to the view of these biscuits, until I reviewed the recipe and realized that, of the nine ingredients, I only have four in stock. And whether these four would be the same as what you use is uncertain. However, with the quantities that I have been eating lately, maybe it is just as well that I can only feast my eyes.

@kirkie
I was very attracted to the view of these biscuits, until I reviewed the recipe and realized that, of the nine ingredients, I only have four in stock. And whether these four would be the same as what you use is uncertain. However, with the quantities that I have been eating lately, maybe it is just as well that I can only feast my eyes.
@Albertagirl, you can skip the sugar, the fruit.. what else? the fat has to be really cold though, just as for making pastry. I will have a look later but I have to head for a zoom meeting now. They are too sweet - I will not put in half as much next time. And maybe a bit of coconut , desiccated.

Now, here is a recipe that I have massacred because I did not have all the ingredients but who cares? Right now the smell from the oven is wonderful! All vegetarians, please look the other way. Or use some version of soya? Anyway, I had a lot of veg for roasting and used that as the sauce, with some red wine. Oh! to see wine going into cooking hurts me a lot! I prefer the wine to meet the food later. Never mind. I had fun watching the video, and have been doing a few things while preparing the meatballs, and now am having a break before tackling the wash-up. My neighbour, a wonderful woman, has just gone shopping again, so I will have all the ingredients for the next time. You know, we are so blessed: we are not allowed out to shop, just to exercise. She and her husband will do anything for us. It is also a help, as their son is very high on the autism scale, and any excuse to take him in the car is a blessing. There is another whole world of blessings that we could share that have been highlighted as a result of this world-wide lockdown situation. However, enough meandering: a treat of a recipe.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.