• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Z-Pack backpack

cher99840

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
My new Arc Haul arrived today and it is something that definitely will take some getting used to. So many straps and buckles and potential adjustments. In keeping with the ultra light concept, the straps are not the robust type that I am used to. I'm pretty excited about it and anxious to get it all figured out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good choice of pack.
I used an Arc blast on last years walk . I walked from end of April to early October and covered 5000km , the pack held up well, apart from when I carried 14kgs on the GR11, it's to much weight for this pack and becomes uncomfortable after a few hours walking, up to 10 kg it's a really nice carry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good choice of pack.
I used an Arc blast on last years walk . I walked from end of April to early October and covered 5000km , the pack held up well, apart from when I carried 14kgs on the GR11, it's to much weight for this pack and becomes uncomfortable after a few hours walking, up to 10 kg it's a really nice carry.

Good to know, thank you. At first I thought "I'm glad I chose the haul rather than the blast, as it's rated for more weight". Then it occurred to me that the extra weight tolerance is probably due to the fabric and that it is the frame that makes the difference in comfort. If so, then your guidelines would apply to the haul as well. Do you think that's how it works?

I bought this for some tent camping planned just before my Camino, but if I like it well enough, it just might make it to Spain. It looks as if it will crush down pretty small.

One thing I've noticed already tho is it makes an unpleasant rustling sound. I've read about rustling bags and couldn't really relate. Now I can. Also the Velcro on top can be an unwelcome sound in shared quarters.

I did the CF in an arc blast and loved it. It doesn't make that much noise, but then I got up when most everyone else was getting up, so it was not an issue. Lots of other noise going on! I would generally take the pack and my stuff into another room to pack up.

I did not find the velcro to be too noisy. I am very noise-sensitive, too.

I like this bag so much, and it's so comfortable for me, that I gave away my day packs/hiking packs and only carry this.

I hope you like your pack!

I did the CF in an arc blast and loved it. It doesn't make that much noise, but then I got up when most everyone else was getting up, so it was not an issue. Lots of other noise going on! I would generally take the pack and my stuff into another room to pack up.

I did not find the velcro to be too noisy. I am very noise-sensitive, too.

I like this bag so much, and it's so comfortable for me, that I gave away my day packs/hiking packs and only carry this.

I hope you like your pack!

Thanks. I really want to like it. Stay tuned. I'll give a "first impression" review in a few days. In the meantime, do you have any tips on getting used to it. It says the shoulder strap placement is adjustable, but I haven't figured that part out yet. Just seems like lots and lots of straps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was lucky, after I adjusted the carbon frame (there's a youtube video on this), it was good out of the box. I didn't have to adjust.

However, after 3 weeks on the Camino, I needed to adjust, and someone helped me, but that fix didn't last long, and then I needed another adjustment. Thankfully I had met up with my brother by that time and he knows far more about the shoulder adjustment and load lifter parts than I do.

tl;dr: maybe find someone who knows about packs to help you???

You do have time to experiment, and my confession is, I need to do some adjustment now, and I keep procrastinating on it.

I did manage to get the frame adjusted and I love the hip belt. It has two adjusters instead of one (that might be new). I don't have any trouble with the shoulder strap tightening as that is standard like other packs. I haven't figured out the load lifters yet because there are too many straps up there and I don't know what they all are yet. I do need to move my chest strap but haven't tried that yet. I was putting it off until I find out if the shoulder straps are in the right place, as moving them would relocate the chest strap (I think).

@cher99840 , hi.
I used a zPack Arc Blast in 2016 through France, Thames Path and on to Canterbury. Worked well for me. I note they have updated many details, to the good.

Ihad nearly a year to get used to the various adjustments etc. After a while I could do the immediate items as I walked without missing a step.

Using the mantra of one item, many functions, you may care to consider ordering a dry sac that doubles as a carry bag (with handle) to keep all the belts etc safely out of the way of baggage handlers should you need to check-in your pack at airports.

If you do pick up this thought you will needs to be particular that the Arch Haul needs to fit inside the dry sac as well as fit inside the pack as a dry sac.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.