• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zabaldika

GailGwyn

Time of past OR future Camino
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
When I walked the Camino Frances in 2019, someone told me I should visit Zabaldika, which I did, on the way to Pamplona.

I didn't find out until later that there's an albergue there too. I'm going to be walking the Camino Frances again, starting at the end of April, and would love the chance to stay at Zabaldika.

I tried to send an email to see if they were going to open this year, but it bounced back.

Does anyone know if they are/will be open?

Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I walked the Camino Frances in 2019, someone told me I should visit Zabaldika, which I did, on the way to Pamplona.

I didn't find out until later that there's an albergue there too. I'm going to be walking the Camino Frances again, starting at the end of April, and would love the chance to stay at Zabaldika.

I tried to send an email to see if they were going to open this year, but it bounced back.

Thanks
@Rebekah Scott may know.

That Albergue is one of my favorites.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Thanks
It looks like it is shut at the moment.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The phone number is 0034948330918.
They are always alert to passing on the phone to someone in the house who understands, and speaks, English. A good time to phone is around 1pm Spain time. Other times will work as well of course, but the sisters gather for a meal around then.
I have just sent an email and will post response when a reply comes in.
alberguezabaldika.unapausaenelcamino.facebook
I do not open facebook.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Update: the albergue will not open mid April. The sisters hope to reopen mid June, until mid October. That is the hope. Pilgrims will still be welcomed to visit the Church ( that is always available) and I think the option to use the bathroom in the community house is still there... for those who take the option to climb the hill and visit, as I generally say even if not invited to! - from there you can continue, without retracing steps. The path skirts the hill, and in no time you appear at the iconic bridge with the Trinidad de Arre albergue at its far end. That albergue takes bookings, to the best of my knowledge. They have a facebook presence. They also have a blessing service for pilgrims. The sisters regret, but personnel factors are driving this delay.
edit: when I get updated contact details, I will post them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The phone number is 0034948330918.
They are always alert to passing on the phone to someone in the house who understands, and speaks, English. A good time to phone is around 1pm Spain time. Other times will work as well of course, but the sisters gather for a meal around then.
I have just sent an email and will post response when a reply comes in.
alberguezabaldika.unapausaenelcamino.facebook
I do not open facebook.
Update: the albergue will not open mid April. The sisters hope to reopen mid June, until mid October. That is the hope. Pilgrims will still be welcomed to visit the Church ( that is always available) and I think the option to use the bathroom in the community house is still there... for those who take the option to climb the hill and visit, as I generally say even if not invited to! - from there you can continue, without retracing steps. The path skirts the hill, and in no time you appear at the iconic bridge with the Trinidad de Arre albergue at its far end. That albergue takes bookings, to the best of my knowledge. They have a facebook presence. They also have a blessing service for pilgrims. The sisters regret, but personnel factors are driving this delay.
Thank you for finding the information @kirkie. I'm sad we won't be able to stay there, but will certainly climb the hill to visit the church again. I wish the sisters every blessing in the work they do to support pilgrims.
I'll take a look at the albergue at Trinidad de Arre.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks

We detoured to Zabaldika in 2014 & met a charming nun who was fluent in Spanish, French & English (and more, I suspect).

She told us that, as bona fide pilgrims, we could climb the stairs to the belfry & ring the church bell. This we did, with gusto!

I have, ever since, claimed the title:

“The bell ringer of Zabaldika”

It has a certain ring to it….

We detoured to Zabaldika in 2014 & met a charming nun who was fluent in Spanish, French & English (and more, I suspect).

She told us that, as bona fide pilgrims, we could climb the stairs to the belfry & ring the church bell. This we did, with gusto!

I have, ever since, claimed the title:

“The bell ringer of Zabaldika”

It has a certain ring to it….
We did this too, in 2019.

Yes, it's quite loud, isn't it!😁🔔

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I walked this part of the camino last August, the church and the village were all closed. Not a (non-pilgrim) person in sight. I had lunch on the grass outside of the church, though, talking to 2 other pilgrims and enjoying the view. Even seeing the entryway of the church was good.

This is the place to visit. The short extra climb gives serene returns far in excess of the effort. The Sisters are a treasure of the best in devotional life and they and the grounds under their stewardship reflect physical and metaphysical gold.
As you continue on freshly invigorated there is shaded Arleta with its ruins a place to rest in reverie and in Spring the just beyond narrow path flanked in dog roses with perfume intoxicating.

If you do go up, ring the doorbell round the side and ask if it would be possible to visit the church. I know the sisters are happy to oblige, and then you have the chance to climb up the ancient steps and ring that bell!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have tried to book the Parroquial de San Miguel for 18 September, but no luck. Does anyone know of any other albergue close by here? Thanks, Liz Ross

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Update on Zabaldika: it is open. It does not take bookings. There are 18 beds. The albergue opens at 2.30, usually. There is no shop or bar. Just peace and quiet, and a beautiful location. Along with a 13th century church, San Esteban. An evening meal is offered, and breakfast. It is donativo. Hospitaleros are appointed by Hosvol, on two week duty rotas. Prayer is offered in the church, mornings and then a special prayer time after dinner at 20.30.
There are arguments or differences of opinion as to whether it is on the one true camino frances. Just make up your own mind.
Climb the hill, it is steep, but short. Continue along a lateral path that will first connect with those who climb up from the rest area, and then leads you to the bridge where you see the iconic Trinidad de Arre albergue.
Some pilgrims arrive early in the day and intend to stay in Zabaldika. Some climb, are impressed, visit the church, but keep going as their destination for the day is Pamplona, 8km further on.

It is 3km to Trinidad de Arre, where it is possible to reserve, and 8km from Zabaldika to Pamplona. Wise Pilgrim has an entry for Trinidad de Arre.

I was there for about ten days, on church duty, until last Tuesday. Seems like much longer! If you like quiet, and space, and beauty, aim for it. Many pilgrims phone to ask if there are beds - from my observation over the couple of weeks, if you get there before four you are pretty well assured of a bed. It varies. Some days, 2 pilgrims. Others, 13 - 18. Phone contact can be made with Trinidad de Arre to check if they have beds, and if necessary, a lift to there can be arranged, unless the pilgrim is fit and able for a final 3km. Buen camino, buen camino...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back