• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zamora-SDC Feb 2019

Jenyat53

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
I am hoping that someone who has walked this route at this time of year might share with me the actual stops they made overnight. Several people have said there are some very poorly serviced sections on this route especially in winter when more albergues are closed.
We are just average walkers (20-25 kms a day) and I would appreciate any shared experiences of this group along with comments about the wisdom of our choice.
Would we be wiser to avoid the Sanabrés and head to Astorga then join the Invierno (about which I know very little at present)?
Much appreciation in advance for any insights you experienced winter walkers may care to share. Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I myself haven't walked the section you are talking about, but I have been researching the whole VDLP, I am starting in Saville at the beginning of Feb next year.

Regarding overnight stops and albergues there is a very good resource that list all the albergues and which ones are open year round, I have found this very useful in planning my stages. having said that some may not be open when you get to the destination, then plan B comes into play, myself I don't have a plan B but like all things in life it will all work out in the end.

I'm sure someone will come forward who has actually done this part of the VDLP in Winter and give you some sound advice. I just thought I'd point you in the direction of the resources section.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jenny,
The hospitaleros or the tourist office in Zamora should have information on what is open for the first several nights North of Zamora. We were hospiteleros in December there and had at least one pilgrim walking backwards from Santiago. He said he often slept at the fire stations in communities when albergue were closed. We had copies of current info to share with pilgrims and most chose to go through Astorga. You can also use the Gronze website to find out what is open in winter.
Janet

I was the other half with @J Willhaus last December. The information we had showed distances of 30 to 35 kms between open albergues. This may have been due to some renovations that were in progress at that time. Whichever route you choose, enjoy.
Buen Camino
Phil

I am hoping that someone who has walked this route at this time of year might share with me the actual stops they made overnight. Several people have said there are some very poorly serviced sections on this route especially in winter when more albergues are closed.
We are just average walkers (20-25 kms a day) and I would appreciate any shared experiences of this group along with comments about the wisdom of our choice.
Would we be wiser to avoid the Sanabrés and head to Astorga then join the Invierno (about which I know very little at present)?
Much appreciation in advance for any insights you experienced winter walkers may care to share. Thank you
Hi, I’m off to Walk the vdlp for the 3rd time on dec15. I walked last December and had an albergue every night. There was a couple occasions I had to walk another 10k, due to albergue closures! I did have the opportunity on these occasions, to get a pension etc. Having few rest stops is part of the vdlp. From Zamora, a couple of days at 28,29k .very doable! The sanabres, not to be missed, stunning at any time of the year. I’m not a big planner, I mainly wing it! That’s just me. All the info you need... is indeed in the resource section. My first time was feb,March and an average of 4 to 5 pilgrims per day. Last December Seville to Santiago, I never met anyone completing the whole route. In fact, I only met about 10 pilgrims in total. I did meet a French man, who was walking in reverse! I’ll be finished as you start in February. I’ll keep an eye on this section, any specific questions, just ask. You’re in for a treat, on completion you’ll feel like proper pilgrims. O aye, there a lady who has put the stages onto a spreadsheet and it has everything I needed. It’s still relevant.....phone numbers, albergue addresses etc,etc. Again, in resources! Enjoy. Wild

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many thanks Wildrover, you have inspired me again after a concern that our choice may have been unwise. We are quite partial to walking the road less travelled but are quite keen to have a bed to sleep in each night :). Will certainly look forward to fine tuning a few things especially in light of your actual experience closer to the time. Buen camino to you and many thanks again Jen

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back