• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zaragoza Expo

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Zaragoza: Celt Iberians settled the fertile valley as a fortress called Salduie, followed by Romans. As the Roman world crumbled the Visigoths waltzed in about 472. The Moors rode in next in 714, making their Saraqusta the northern capital of Al-Andalus. Christians retook Zaragoza in 1118 and
the Le Seo Cathedral was built over a Muslim mosque, which itself was built atop a Roman temple. The most amazing Roman legacy was a total surprise to everyone in 1972. During excavations for an apartment building, bulldozers scraped away the fill over a 6,000-seat amphitheater, a giant structure for a town of 18,000. No archaeological or documentary evidence had ever hinted at it, so Zaragozans, from schoolchildren to archaeology professors, were just as amazed by the find. Excavation continued for 30 years. The amphitheater museum is a great place not only to admire the time-worn ruins, but to read the English panels that put more than 2,000 years of history into context.
Many Catholics believe that the Virgin Mary appeared to a discouraged Apostle Saint James who was preaching to the early converts on the banks of the Ebro before she ascended to heaven This was Jan. 2 in the year 40 and as a symbol of the Coming of the Virgin, she left behind the marble pillar on which she had perched.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /1052/LIFE

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
yes, but just what IS the Expo 2008 that´s touted in logo form on milk cartons and newspaper trailers over and over? Another big trade fair?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Reb.

Its an International EXPO about water.

The link says:

The Aragonese capital, a river crossroads for millennia, will welcome the world to its banks from June 14 to Sept. 14. And in spite of the Al Goresque name of the exhibition, "Water and Sustainable Development," the Spaniards promise a party along with serious explorations of the world's water issues.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Holy See will participate in the international expo on "Water and Sustainable Development" with a booth offering a reflection on the divine and human dimensions of water. This was announced today at a press conference presenting the Holy See's role in "Expo Zaragoza 2008," due to be held Jun 14-Sept. 14 in Zaragoza, Spain.
Cardinal Renato Martino, president of the Pontifical Council Justice and Peace, expressed his hopes that the expo "will provide an opportunity to explore and raise awareness of water in the life of the world."
The Holy See will also participate in other activities promoted by Expo Zaragoza 2008. Its main contribution will be a July 10-12 international ecological congress on the theme: "The Ecological Question: The Life of Man in the World."

The congress is being organized by the Archdiocese of Zaragoza and the Pontifical Council Justice and Peace.

Times Online article about the EXPO.

Water, water everywhere... There is boating on an artificial lake, and a water-flume amusement ride. At the Ebro's edge, the world's largest freshwater aquarium houses fish, amphibians and aquatic mammals in re-created habitats from the world's great river systems.

The daily Cirque du Soleil performance promises to feature “aquabats”, and by night there will be concerts ranging from Handel's Water Music (what else?) to a performance by Bob Dylan, who has recorded a new version of his 1963 classic A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall for the occasion.

More..........

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif ... 074205.ece

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...