• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zarautz or Getaria?

Maxcheese

Time of past OR future Camino
I was lloking at accomodations in Zarautz and Getaria and was may thinking of stopping at Getaria a little further instead and also going through Deba the following day and find a local albergue afterwards since Deba is booked out and or too expensive. Is Getaria a good choice over Zarautz?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is Getaria a good choice over Zarautz?

A couple of years ago, I spent a night in the Getaria albergue Kanpaia. It was fine, but a little hike up a hill out of town. It is directly on the camino, so it’s great for the next morning. The next day I walked beyond Deba to the albergue Izarbide. It is out in the country at the top of a hill with terrific views back over the ocean, and a huge lawn with chairs and umbrellas for pilgrims to rest.

And I can’t resist recommending that you get off the Camino at Zumaia and walk on the coastline to Deba. It’s called the Ruta del Flysch and it is jaw-dropping. Everyone in town can direct you to the start, it is a very well-known route. You can see lots of youtube videos that are better than my words to describe it. Yet the Camino stays a few kms away from the coast for some inexplicable reason.

A couple of years ago, I spent a night in the Getaria albergue Kanpaia. It was fine, but a little hike up a hill out of town. It is directly on the camino, so it’s great for the next morning. The next day I walked beyond Deba to the albergue Izarbide. It is out in the country at the top of a hill with terrific views back over the ocean, and a huge lawn with chairs and umbrellas for pilgrims to rest.

And I can’t resist recommending that you get off the Camino at Zumaia and walk on the coastline to Deba. It’s called the Ruta del Flysch and it is jaw-dropping. Everyone in town can direct you to the start, it is a very well-known route. You can see lots of youtube videos that are better than my words to describe it. Yet the Camino stays a few kms away from the coast for some inexplicable reason.
Thank you so much for this wonderful advice! I was actually planning on booking at the Izarbide because Deba is so expensive now!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was lloking at accomodations in Zarautz and Getaria and was may thinking of stopping at Getaria a little further instead and also going through Deba the following day and find a local albergue afterwards since Deba is booked out and or too expensive. Is Getaria a good choice over Zarautz?
When are you going? The municipal albergues on this part of the Norte are closed this year. I recommend making reservations in advance. There are very few places to stay between Deba and Markina. I think that your only choice is Albergue de Izarbide, and you will probably need a reservation to stay there.

I stayed at a private hostel Blai Blai (booked on booking.com) maybe full also because a lot of surfers but worth a try or they can recommend a place but it is in Zarautz just on street over in front the beach … under a major hotel ….it had capsules was clean and reasonable price you can see in the first picture…

I also took some pix of other albergues with phone numbers hope this helps. I stayed an extra day walked Getaria via Oceanside on one day and walked back to Zarautz then the next day took the high route(mountainside) out of town then back down to thu Zumaia on route de Flyacht to Markina ..

for Markina highly recommend this casa rural Intxauspe +34 658758 617 www.intxauspe.com across from the football field just outside the town he will pick you up by the way it’s walkable about 1km

Attachments

• F223623E-E262-4FB4-821C-2D858D1CB4FF.jpeg
    F223623E-E262-4FB4-821C-2D858D1CB4FF.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 91E23D40-DDEA-402B-AC2B-B9A59F25797A.jpeg
    91E23D40-DDEA-402B-AC2B-B9A59F25797A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • E67FEB14-1901-4F20-A276-3448C574890E.jpeg
    E67FEB14-1901-4F20-A276-3448C574890E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When are you going? The municipal albergues on this part of the Norte are closed this year. I recommend making reservations in advance. There are very few places to stay between Deba and Markina. I think that your only choice is Albergue de Izarbide, and you will probably need a reservation to stay there.

I start in Irun. Booked already Irun and San Sebastian and depending on the availabilty of Izarbide, I might do an extra night in SS then on to Getaria (or Zarautz, not sure) before Izarbide. Deba is booked. Markina looked pretty booked as well but I don't want either to prebook too many days in order not to get stucked with a scheduled or fixed itinerary.

I start in Irun on sept. 2nd. Booked already Irun and San Sebastian and depending on the availabilty of Izarbide, I might do an extra night in SS then on to Getaria (or Zarautz, not sure) before Izarbide. Deba is booked. Markina looked pretty booked as well but I don't want either to prebook too many days in order not to get stucked with a scheduled or fixed itinerary.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also recommend Casa Rural Intxauspe - they also have albergue beds, but it's in Markina, not Deba, which is quite a long walk from Getaria - 41.45km.
Yes I agree. It is a long walk. I stayed in Zarautz and Zumaia at a eco farm on the top of the hill (a vey tall long hill and at the end of the day (info@santaklara.es) https://www.agroturismosantaklara.com/
after taking the high route ..
There was a albergue I think is at the nunnery (maybe a donitivo) not sure was closed in April. I did the Getaria walk as a day walk only 5 km one way went for lunch walked back to Zarautz…I loved the high route much longer

Last edited:
And I can’t resist recommending that you get off the Camino at Zumaia and walk on the coastline to Deba. It’s called the Ruta del Flysch and it is jaw-dropping.
One of the highlights of our walk on the Norte in 2018. I recommend it wholeheartedly!
And we also stayed at Izarbide, which was great.

And I can’t resist recommending that you get off the Camino at Zumaia and walk on the coastline to Deba. It’s called the Ruta del Flysch and it is jaw-dropping. Everyone in town can direct you to the start, it is a very well-known route.
We were looking for the coastal route to Deba and a local man who spoke no English was adamant that we not go that way but take the main route instead. Too bad! Next time! We stayed at Izarbide instead of Deba, too and were glad about it. The following day’s walk to Markina would have been longer and more difficult if coming all the way from Deba. There was nowhere to stop for a break or cafe con leche because the only possible place was closed on Sunday.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hey there. Another endorsement for Ruta del Flysch. We took this route on our first time on the Norte, and didn’t realise at the time that we were on an alternative route. Must have missed a sign somewhere 😀. Next time we went the inland way. Both v enjoyable but Ruta del Flyach was something special. I do recall a long climb as you leave the coast, quite steep in parts - or maybe we were just tired. I seem to recall the coastal route is longer or maybe just tricker terrain. 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
I start in Irun. Booked already Irun and San Sebastian and depending on the availabilty of Izarbide, I might do an extra night in SS then on to Getaria (or Zarautz, not sure) before Izarbide.
Instead of a second night in San Sebastian I recommend taking a leisure walk to Albergue San Martin in Orio. It has been an iconic albergue on el Norte well before Zarautz and Getaria albergues have even sprung up. I find true spirit of the Camino there thanks to the hospitaler@s / owners of the place. Gronze says no communal supper in 2021. What a pity. But the fishing town of Orio is also nice for an evening meal (need to walk down to town)

https://www.gronze.com/pais-vasco/guipuzcoa/orio/albergue-san-martin

Thank you all for your precious suggestions. With availability, I had to go with one night in san sebastian, then Blai Blai in Zarautz and then the Izarbide albergue in Ibir Auza. I will also try to go through de Flysch route. You guys think it's doable?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We were looking for the coastal route to Deba and a local man who spoke no English was adamant that we not go that way but take the main route instead.
Yet another instance when “listening to the locals” is not necessarily the best option. 🤣 But on the other hand, the locals we ran into did a great job of convincing the slightly reluctant people who were thinking about joining in but were worried about the terrain. One woman who spoke no English kept motioning toward the trailhead kissing her fingers.

I see that the comment section is closed for Izarbide. I wonder if that goes back to the time when the owner’s brotherwas dying of cancer and she had to turn it over to someone who did a terrible job and ruined the albergue’s reputation.

Has anyone been there lately? I think the last time we talked about it was several years ago.

Pirates perhaps?

Just another suggestion for accomodation in Deba. In October 2019 we stayed in Casa Rrual Arriola Txiki. It’s just ‘above’ Deba, a little off The Way (but not far) and the owner showed us a short cut track down to Deba the next morning. It’s a delightful casa with a wonderful garden and views.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.