• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zarautz to Deba in 2 days

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese "2014" from Tui to Santiago
Camino Norte "April 2016"
Just finished our 1st day, Hondurribia to San Sebastian yesterday. Weather and views were amazing, but legs are a bit shakey :) we are looking for advice on the route out of Zarautz to Deba that we will be on the day after tomorrow. Apparently there is a Coastal route or higher level option and we are trying to decide on the most scenic and tranquil route. Opinions appreciated please.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I went by the road, which goes along the water and it was fine. It's not really road walking, more of promenade walking as there is a sidewalk and traffic is not huge nor fast and furious.

Out of Zarutz you can go to Getaria on the costal road, I went the higher way, it's all asphalt and takes you back down to Getaria. Out of Zumaia after about 2km you have two options, a yellow and white marked PR route and the Camino, I went the PR route, your legs will definitely be shaky if you go this way, a young couple about half an hour behind me had to stop walking after going the same way they hurt their legs and ankles. The Camino is longer, not easy but less challenging.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, that definitely helps our decision. My legs are still shakey after the aplinista route from Irun, and my knees aren't too happy with me either. I think the Coastal route calls.

Oops, I should have said the PR route after Zumaia is the costal route, it is stunning but after a while you are too knackered too care.

Don't forget to stop at the little restaurant, if you can call it that, just after the park where you decide to take the GR or the more direct route (on the direct route). The cook made me a beautiful grilled tuna steak and tomato salad, served woth a glass of Txacoli made by the vineyard acriss the street.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have just completed this part of the Norte from Irun to Castro-Urdiales. Now in Bilbao waiting to fly home tomorrow.

From Zarautz to Deba was the hardest stretch of walking i've ever done.

I walked the coastal route to Getaria which was pleasant and easy. Outside Zumaia you are given a choice between 8.8km for Deba on the camino and 6.6km for Deba via the red/white marked coastal route.

Thinking I would be clever I opted for the latter. After about 90mins of walking / climbing around bays and coves I get to new sign (red/white) which again says Deba is 6km away. 600m in 90mins ?!

Anyway, more climbing, stunning views and a thoroughly exhausting afternoon. What might ordinarily have taken 4-5hours or so took more than 7.

So: if opting for the red/white route know that the distance markers are awry; rain could make parts of it dangerous especially with a backpack, and make sure you have your camera !

On the plus side it made Deba-Markina seem like a cake walk :)

I have just completed this part of the Norte from Irun to Castro-Urdiales. Now in Bilbao waiting to fly home tomorrow.

From Zarautz to Deba was the hardest stretch of walking i've ever done.

I walked the coastal route to Getaria which was pleasant and easy. Outside Zumaia you are given a choice between 8.8km for Deba on the camino and 6.6km for Deba via the red/white marked coastal route.

Thinking I would be clever I opted for the latter. After about 90mins of walking / climbing around bays and coves I get to new sign (red/white) which again says Deba is 6km away. 600m in 90mins ?!

Anyway, more climbing, stunning views and a thoroughly exhausting afternoon. What might ordinarily have taken 4-5hours or so took more than 7.

So: if opting for the red/white route know that the distance markers are awry; rain could make parts of it dangerous especially with a backpack, and make sure you have your camera !

On the plus side it made Deba-Markina seem like a cake walk :)

Hi Duncan,
We are staying in Pension Buenavista in Igeldo , about 4 km after San Sebastian.
We were planing on visiting Getaria for lunch [ 22km ] and then pushing on to Zumaia for a night in the convent,
Possible ??
The reason we selected this was to make the next day , 10km into Deba a short one.
We would have been going for 4 days by then having started with short days from Biarritz thus the wish for the extra 6km after Getaria .
Maybe the 28km is a bit far in the terrain?
Last time we stayed in Zarautz and it was a hard 24km.
Any up to date on roads appreciated.

Hello Thornley,

That seems doable - depending on your pace still a 6-9 hour day. I did Gernika-Bilbao in one day which seems similiar in ascent/distance.

If you are starting in Igeldo you will miss the steep climb out of San Sebastian though there is still another one out of Zarautz / Getaria depending on which route you take. I took the flat coastal route out of Zarautz which was lovely (pedestrian walkway with ocean views) but it only delays the climb until Getaria.

I assume you've seen these anyway but they have profiles of the route at the bottom of each page; the second one shows the alternative route out of Zarautz:

http://www.gronze.com/etapa/san-sebastian/zarautz

http://www.gronze.com/etapa/zarautz/deba

The most difficult terain I found was Zumaia-Deba - where after Zumaia you have the choice of Camino or GR route (marked red/white). I opted for the latter which was exceedingly tough going (but the guide book describes this as the low level coastal option which implies it is easier - I dont believe it was though I havent walked the higher inner route).

If it is at all raining then be vey careful, there are some very steep climbs /descents. A couple of dutch guys (aged 62 and 65) I met followed the red/white GR route the same day and ended up getting the train for the last part afer a couple of falls. They considered it dangerous in places. I also think the GR distance signs are faulty - that day took almost 8 hours and I am a fast walker (5km / hour on the flat).

As for the roads there has been a bit of logging activity around Deba-Markina and Markina-Gernika - the tractor tracks are deep and as of last week often filled with water. Nothing impassable but I would consider walking boots an essential. And slippy in places.

One final note - there is section between Munitibar and Olabe which I considered unsafe - just out of Munitibar and past Ermita de Santiago the camimo branches - one route down a lane/path and the other onto the BI2224. On the first route the yellow arrows are crossed out implying you should take the second left and follow the BI2224 section which I did. This was the only place in 8 days of walking where I felt genuinely unsafe - no hard shoulder, speed limits of 30-50km and quite a few hair pin turns which meant limited visibillity for oncoming traffic (incl buses & lorrys). In the end I made the decision to climb over / through about 4 barbed wire fences down the short valley / meadow back onto what I had guessed was the correct path. I dont know why the yellow arrows were crossed out on the first turning but I did notice a newish looking wooden footbridge over a stream). I've put a link below- get to back to me if isnt clear, like I say this was the only time I felt unsafe.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.2...4!1spWeNHkOpp5lcFG4Z5cuZ7w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Duncan

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Duncan,
We will keep to the original after your words. Commence early from Igeldo and have a good stop @ Getaria . Then we will have a slow walk to the Convent of San Jose , maybe little food required for dinner.
We only want the short day after Zumaia and will take the longer route which i believe is the camino .
From HRH's diary the worst part for us last time was the section from Deba to Bilbao.
The only other day we stuffed up was out of Islares before Liendo .
Missed a few signs there mate i can tell you.
Safe walking and good weather ,
David

Darn I'm on the Camino del Norte and already forgot what was like yesterday much less two weeks ago :) hahaha highway after highway and arrows going no where or just going for 1/2 mile where one could had walked strait for 200 feet and be at the same place who can tell the difference? :)

Zzotte

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.