• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zariquiegui Accommodation

Puggles

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean to Puente La Reina (2018)
Hi - we are walking our first stage of the Camino in late May/early June this year, can any one tell me if La Posada de Ardogi is still open, the link to the web site is not working. Thanks, Josie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The name has changed to El Albergue de Zariquiegui.

Edit: and then it closed!?

Closed? O gosh, I hope not!

In May of last year my son and I left Pamplona headed for the Alto de Perdon in the absolute worst weather I ever encountered in Spain. By the time we got to Zariquiegui we were whipped, and that place offfered a veritable life-saving refuge from the storm. To us and 3, 000 other people....

(How does one pronounce Zariquiegui, anyway?)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Closed? O gosh, I hope not!

In May of last year my son and I left Pamplona headed for the Alto de Perdon in the absolute worst weather I ever encountered in Spain. By the time we got to Zariquiegui we were whipped, and that place offfered a veritable life-saving refuge from the storm. To us and 3, 000 other people....

(How does one pronounce Zariquiegui, anyway?)
Zar ee kee EGG ghee.

There were two albergues in Zariquiegui. I just called both of them, and it turns out that only one of them, San Andres, remains in business. The other one answered the phone but said that the albergue had closed because it was too far off the trail and that most pilgrims did not want to walk the extra 50m.

Contact info for San Andres here: http://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino-frances/zariquiegui

Incidentally, a long time back while running a hotel in Iceland I had a Spanish couple check-in with the surname Zariquiegui. They were dumbstruck when I could pronounce it and even more surprised when I surmised that they were Basque.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The other one answered the phone but said that the albergue had closed because it was too far off the trail and that most pilgrims did not want to walk the extra 50m
It is/was more on the route than San Andres!! I suspect it was more that few pilgrims stop that soon after Cizur Menor or Pamplona, and one albergue is sufficient for the demand. It was the second one encountered, though it was a bit more visible than San Andres, which I think is on its second set of owners. The first family was great, and so is the second. It is small and does fill regardless of the secondary location of Zariquiegui as a stopping point. Pilgrims who stop there rarely are "driven" pilgrims with a firmly set goal for the day. They are just the ones who decide it is time to quit for the day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all,

Rather than start another thread, I said I would attempt to revive this one.

I’m just wondering what the situation is now vis-a-vis albergues in Zariquiegui. I’ve been seeing mixed/contradictory information online. Is it two or just one operating there at the moment?

Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

Rather than start another thread, I said I would attempt to revive this one.

I’m just wondering what the situation is now vis-a-vis albergues in Zariquiegui. I’ve been seeing mixed/contradictory information online. Is it two or just one operating there at the moment?

Thanks in advance!
don't know if I can actually help here. I was thrilled to see an open albergue on the right just after reaching the village - pronounce it as you please, but I say it this way: thar-ee-kyeg- ay- as it was a moment to use the facilities and therefore buy a coffee, just after visiting the church and thanking the volunteers... if you can keep going, and reach Uterga, the albergue on the left offers a dinner, and it has a variety of payment options, from basic bunk to private room. Your choice.

Any “live” updates on Zariq.....? The newest Brierley lists 2 but Gronze lists 0. Is the at the first cafe still open?
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back