• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zip Off Pants

Trainee 1949

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2014
I have seen so many recommendations for Zip Off convertible pants
My question is how many folks actually zipped off pants to shorts or started out in shorts and put their "legs" back on
Walking April 20 - May 31 I have not found the "shorts" with zipper to be nearly as comfortable as just nylon "fishing shorts"
I have the pack weight to take two shorts and one regular long quick dry pants
The nylon pants are not that warm in the warm weather but I do prefer walking in shorts

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband does - he's zipped on and off according to the weather on seven spring-time caminos.

I brought zip-offs once and hated them - the zippers were incredibly uncomfortable.

My reply would be - it depends on the trousers!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've always used zip off's, I know that some pilgrims say they are not comfortable and the zip sometimes rub, but I've not experienced this. I guess it could be down to the make of pants you buy, I would rather hike in shorts than long pants.
Again it's all down to personal preference, hope you make the right choice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Convertibles are very handy. I have never had any discomfort from the zippers. I leave one set of legs at home to reduce weight.

I used zip-offs for just one trip and did not find them comfortable or particularly functional. I wear long pants, and carry a light pair of shorts should I need them. I rarely walk in shorts during the day in any case, preferring long pants and long sleeved shirts. If you prefer to get the sun exposure during the high UV times of the day, walking in shorts and short sleeved shirts is clearly an option.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always travel in April and May on the Camino and the only time I wear long pants is on the airplane to and from Spain. Except this year , I donated the long pants in Pamplona. I prefer a good hiking cargo short. My preference is Kuhl , which has a 10 1/2 in. Inseam and is very comfortable and durable,which drys quickly. Some folks like the zip off feature , but I do not care for it personally. Like some of the other comments, I find the zip off function uncomfortable . You may consider a light weight pair of trousers along with a pair of hiking shorts. If you need additional clothing along the way, there are plenty of places to purchase what you need. What to wear is a personal choice and I am sure you will make the right one that works for you. Good luck,and Buen camino

Ours zip off below the knee. We walk with them long but if they get muddy can just wash the bottom part. Also useful if walking by the sea and wanting to paddle. :)

I did just that ,then forgot to collect them from the washing line.Always use without bottoms since.
We ought to get together. I have a spare pair of legs as I had been wearing the trousers without the lower legs and washed them one evening but then left them on the wash line. Only realised at the next albergue. Dumb or not?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back