• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zoom call from VDLP to USA

John_H

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019, VDLP 2022
I am starting VDLP from Seville with a Camino Frances friend on September 11. Sadly, there is a chance I will need to participate in a Zoom call back to the US on September 20.

Assuming good cell service and/or wifi, does anyone know of any challenges I will encounter? I will connect through the Zoom app on my phone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m not sure what sort of challenges you feel you could have, if you are working on the premise that you both a) have a good internet connection and b) have a fully updated version of the Zoom app on your phone. Are you thinking that it might be hard to use the app because you’ve previously used just the desktop? Or maybe that it could be hard to find somewhere quiet? Other than these things, I don’t see what could go wrong. I was struck, when I was last there, by people working remotely whilst doing the Camino.

I’m not sure what sort of challenges you feel you could have, if you are working on the premise that you both a) have a good internet connection and b) have a fully updated version of the Zoom app on your phone. Are you thinking that it might be hard to use the app because you’ve previously used just the desktop? Or maybe that it could be hard to find somewhere quiet? Other than these things, I don’t see what could go wrong. I was struck, when I was last there, by people working remotely whilst doing the Camino.
My concerns were purely technical. I have used the mobile Zoom app before and will simply need to be attentive to connection and privacy. It seems that Zoom is truly international and it should work fine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Assuming good cell service and/or wifi, does anyone know of any challenges I will encounter? I will connect through the Zoom app on my phone.
Mobile phone coverage is very good for most of the VdlP. There are dead zones but they tend to be in very rural areas rather than larger towns or villages. Video calling is quite data-intensive - will you be sure of having an adequate data allowance with your phone company or be prepared for substantial roaming charges? Many albergues and bars provide Wifi connections these days and it might be wise to plan to be within reach of wifi on the day and time of your Zoom calls.

Mobile phone coverage is very good for most of the VdlP. There are dead zones but they tend to be in very rural areas rather than larger towns or villages. Video calling is quite data-intensive - will you be sure of having an adequate data allowance with your phone company or be prepared for substantial roaming charges? Many albergues and bars provide Wifi connections these days and it might be wise to plan to be within reach of wifi on the day and time of your Zoom calls.
Thanks. The call is 2:00 PM central time US. Central European time is +7. I should be showered, fed and relaxed and set in my lodging for the call.

Definitely be prepared for very poor wifi bandwidth. Although the internet has become widely available on Camino routes, it’s usually not the 4G/5G you maybe used to at home. Add to that a dozen or two pilgrims all phoning home at the same time and you risk not being able to effectively use a data-intensive platform like Zoom.

Your best bet for that evening is either a larger hotel with a lot of bandwidth capacity or a tiny place where you won’t have to share.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In March and April on the VdlP I encountered only one dead spot in cell coverage and it was more weak than dead. It was in Campobercerros on the Sanabres portion. The wifi in the bar was OK, but not great.

Definitely be prepared for very poor wifi bandwidth. Although the internet has become widely available on Camino routes, it’s usually not the 4G/5G you maybe used to at home. Add to that a dozen or two pilgrims all phoning home at the same time and you risk not being able to effectively use a data-intensive platform like Zoom.

Your best bet for that evening is either a larger hotel with a lot of bandwidth capacity or a tiny place where you won’t have to share.
Thanks to all.
- I confirmed that Zoom is truly international and should work fine. I suspected that but wanted some confirmation.
- Good point about the data requirements of these calls if using cell. Wifi is the desired option.
- Be attentive to wifi bandwith in choosing site to make the zoom call. My best guess is I will be in Merida on day 9. Looking at Booking.com there appear to be some options for accommodations that give a good chance of strong signal and less people using a the same time.

I would agree wholeheartedly. Depending on where you are, how many people are using the wifi, what type of place you are sleeping and even if you are in a private room, where the room is situated in relation to the modem/router it is at best a crapshoot. You may want to get a data plan from Orange or Vodafone. Pretty cheap and lots of data.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.