• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Zpacks Vertice rain jacket worth the investment for ultralight hikers?

Moniq

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Portugues
Hi,
I have been looking into ultralight rain jackets for my upcoming Camino Frances. I have already decided that I don’t want to bring a poncho this time. I want to go as low as possible, weight wise and have been looking into the Zpacks vertice rain jackets for women. I like the fact that they are longer and have a good breathability. But they come at a price! Especially when they have to be send to Europe. Any experiences with this jacket. Are they worth the money. I would like to last them at least three caminos. What do you think?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here are a few unbiased views and comparisons.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I own an Altus and REI ultralight rain jacket, but I will walk this June with the same jacket I wore on my first two-week Camino — an extra-extra large Frog Togg jacket that fits around me and my pack, as I am five feet tall and not too overweight (a bit, though). I paid $5.00. It’s not very durable, but it served me well from Astorga to SdC with no rips or damage. Weighs 185grams or 0.4 lbs. It came with rain pants that are far too large; I don’t use those. Unconventional choice, but I love it!

I own an Altus and REI ultralight rain jacket, but I will walk this June with the same jacket I wore on my first two-week Camino — an extra-extra large Frog Togg jacket that fits around me and my pack, as I am five feet tall and not too overweight (a bit, though). I paid $5.00. It’s not very durable, but it served me well from Astorga to SdC with no rips or damage. Weighs 185grams or 0.4 lbs. It came with rain pants that are far too large; I don’t use those. Unconventional choice, but I love it!
Thanks. Is good to know that there are alternatives. Looked at Amazon. Unfortunately they are not that cheap anymore. Around 80 euro for the light ones.
Is the jacket breathable?

Hi,
I have been looking into ultralight rain jackets for my upcoming Camino Frances. I have already decided that I don’t want to bring a poncho this time. I want to go as low as possible, weight wise and have been looking into the Zpacks vertice rain jackets for women. I like the fact that they are longer and have a good breathability. But they come at a price! Especially when they have to be send to Europe. Any experiences with this jacket. Are they worth the money. I would like to last them at least three caminos. What do you think?
I purchased a Zpack last year for my Caminó Primitivo in June. I purchased the smaller size and it was too big! I’m 5’6” and 130 pounds. I found it to be cumbersome and hot (and the weather was still quite cool in early June). Even with the pit zippers open, I sweated profusely and was just as wet as if I wore nothing at all. With on and off rain, taking it on and off was burdensome even though it was stayed on my backpack. This year I’m going with a pack cover and rain jacket. Unless it is cold out, I probably will opt to get wet rather than sweat.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not worth it. The OR Helium jacket is almost half price, light, durable, as rainproof as any lightweight rain jacket Comes in good colors and looks better.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found an OR Helium on backcountry reasonable, about 6oz. also a Montbell umbrella that I use sometimes attached to my pack strap.

I was hired by zPacks to do a quality control test of the men's version and used it in rain and also when it wasn't raining (to add to testing time for overall performance and wear and tear even during dry times). I still have the one I tested, and while I prefer a poncho for backpacking, for recreational walking and chores I find the Vertice performs very well.

Assessing if the Vertice is 'worth the money' is a difficult assessment for me to give to others. Certainly, there is not much out there of a lighter weight than the zPacks jacket. If budget is not of concern, it will keep your pack weight a bit lighter. Will it significantly outperform other, less expensive rain jackets? On Paper it appears so, and is in fact one of the most effective at allowing water vapor to escape; however, there are limits as to the amount of water vapor that can actually escape to prevent interior condensation. In real life use, it is easy to exceed that limit and things may not be so cut and dried.

How much water vapor an individual produces while wearing rain gear designed to be both waterproof and breathable is based on numerous factors: one's metabolism, one's speed of pace, exertion from pushing uphill, the ambient temperature during rainfall, etc. It is these real world factors which will make a mockery of the static tests used by manufacturers to establish their technical descriptions of a garment's breathability.

Also, wearing a backpack will not allow water vapor to escape from your back. It effectively blocks the escape of water vapor from there. This is but one of the reasons I prefer a poncho. . . it sits over the backpack allowing increased air flow to help reduce interior condensation.

For one additional ounce in weight, but at a cost that is 90% less than the price of the Vertice, you might consider looking at Frogg toggs rain jackets. While not quite as breathable as the Vertice according to specs, I found that this jacket actually performed quite capably and was a reasonably good jacket especially given its price.

If you have time, purchase both a Frogg Togg and a Vertice and try them out. zPacks has a good return policy for its items, and if you buy through a retailer like an Amazon or WalMart (US), the Frogg Togg jacket is also returnable. . . though at its price, it makes a great extra rain jacket to have for around the house.

Because I already own the Vertice, I would use it over the Frogg Togg jacket if I decided against wearing a poncho. However, if I had to purchase a rain jacket and did not use a poncho, I would purchase a Frogg Toggs. If I wanted to save that ounce of difference, I could easily make it up among the other items in my backpack.

Last edited:
For those that have the money 💰 and don't mind spending it I say go ahead and buy the lightest, most technologically advanced and expensive equipment and clothing out there and walk the Camino with it.
For those that don't have the money or just plain don't want to spend that much money for equipment and clothing I say don't because you absolutely don't need to and don't be put off by expensive gear recommendations on here and other forums and such. If you're on a budget buy or borrow what you can afford. It'll be fine.
You don't need to because walking the Camino doesn't require it. It's not a wilderness technical hike.
I carry a set of $20 Froggy Toggs rain gear. Weigh almost nothing and on my last Camino Frances I wore the jacket twice 😄. Otherwise it sat at the bottom of my pack unused. Fortunately it weighs almost nothing so I didn't care.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I carry a set of $20 Froggy Toggs rain gear. Weigh almost nothing and on my last Camino Frances I wore the jacket twice 😄. Otherwise it sat at the bottom of my pack unused. Fortunately it weighs almost nothing so I didn't care.
I have taken my Frogg Toggs on six Caminos and for the price they are outstanding and never leave me feeling wet in sweat or spring rains.

I purchased a Zpack last year for my Caminó Primitivo in June. I purchased the smaller size and it was too big! I’m 5’6” and 130 pounds. I found it to be cumbersome and hot (and the weather was still quite cool in early June). Even with the pit zippers open, I sweated profusely and was just as wet as if I wore nothing at all. With on and off rain, taking it on and off was burdensome even though it was stayed on my backpack. This year I’m going with a pack cover and rain jacket. Unless it is cold out, I probably will opt to get wet rather than sweat.
Thank you. I did look into their seizes and they are quite different to European sizes. Good to read that not everybody thinks these jackets are highly breathable!

Dave Bugg answered the specific question really well so I’ll go sideways a bit. I tend to go with an umbrella and rain kilt. That being said I don’t tend to hike in areas as wet as the Pacific Northwest When it’s cooler weather I have a RAB rain jacket to add to the umbrella.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you. I did look into their seizes and they are quite different to European sizes. Good to read that not everybody thinks these jackets are highly breathable!

Just to clear any confusion: The Vertice is among the most 'breathable' of all rain jackets on the market, as well as one of the lightest. It is just that the amount of breathability, in any jacket, is not unlimited and may reach a point that the amount of water vapor produced is far more than the laminate will allow to escape..

Yes, it’s worth it. They last the whole Appalachian Trail. 3 Camino’s will be no problem.

I wore one throughout my Camino Portuguese the end of this past October. It worked for rain and wind of which we had lots. I wore it over a merino wool tee shirt and stayed dry and comfortably warm in 17-20* C temps most days. It jammed into a water bottle pocket when not needed, never wet through and was easy on and off. That said, most long distance hikers will tell you that on warm rainy days you will be as wet inside as outside - but since water draws heat away 23.5 times faster than air, any rain coat helps keep your body heat in. So, you will sweat but the jacket keeps you from getting chilled… or hypothermic in dangerous temps. And hey, it’s really light.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I own and have used both the Zpacks Vertice and the latest OR Helium jackets. They both weigh about the same and resist water the same. It takes about the same amount of time for them to wet out. For me, the inner material of the Helium is more comfortable against bare skin - like when wearing short sleeve shirts.

For the Camino, I'll be bringing both my OR Helium jacket and pants. I use them not only against the rain but also an extra layer for warmth as well as for wind resistance. I'm not a fan of ponchos.

Thanks. Is good to know that there are alternatives. Looked at Amazon. Unfortunately they are not that cheap anymore. Around 80 euro for the light ones.
Not especially breathable, but very thin — kind of like very thin felt coated with wax? If it’s not significantly cheaper than something else, you might prefer something more durable.

Yes.

Currently, in the US Frogg Toggs rain suit (jacket and pants) has a price range of $19 to $28 on Amazon, and probably around $23 average in one of the big box stores like WalMart. I would guess that the higher price in Europe is due to VAT and shipping costs.

Last edited:
I used a hefty trash can liner upside down with hole out for my head and arms. Worked like a charm, covered my backpack and did not weigh much. That, with my Tilley hat, kept me dry enough.
My friend has Z packs jacket she wore on the Francigena, and still wears - looks like a black garbage bag, so I guess you've done well 😇

I own and have used both the Zpacks Vertice and the latest OR Helium jackets. They both weigh about the same and resist water the same. It takes about the same amount of time for them to wet out. For me, the inner material of the Helium is more comfortable against bare skin - like when wearing short sleeve shirts.

For the Camino, I'll be bringing both my OR Helium jacket and pants. I use them not only against the rain but also an extra layer for warmth as well as for wind resistance. I'm not a fan of ponchos.
What’s the weight with both jacket and pants?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have taken my Frogg Toggs on six Caminos and for the price they are outstanding and never leave me feeling wet in sweat or spring rains.
This is great to know about Frogg Toggs, will test water in spring before head out on the camino. I plan to do Norte in late June and full July, wondering how many days that I might need a rain gear in the mountains.

For even less weight (110g for a mens large) and a bit lower price (i find it often at a discount in europe) you could look at the Berghaus Hyper 100 jacket. It served me well on my camino (although i had not so much rain) and is well regarded by a couple of people that are well more experienced hikers than i am.
For a lot less money and a bit more weight (200g for a mens large) you could look at the decathlon FH900 jacket which i personally also liked a lot for a good compromise between water resistance and breathability.

Hi,
Hi Monique,
Given Dave Bugg's verdict (and he is the guru on Camino gear) that no rain jacket - no matter how expensive - is going to be truly waterproof and fully breathable in real life, may I suggest you visit your local Decathlon and have a look at their summer weight rain jacket? In the UK the women's version weighs 175g and costs £9.99. It is described as waterproof and breathable.
Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not worth it. The OR Helium jacket is almost half price, light, durable, as rainproof as any lightweight rain jacket Comes in good colors and looks better.
I don't have this jacket - but I have OR Helium rain pants and I like them very much!

¡Hola Rebequa! Frog Togg, eh? I just saw those at a Meijer grocery store in Michigan. I’d never heard of them before but, as I am always on the lookout for gear for my first experiencia en el Camino, I did check them out. Now that I have firsthand thumbs up reviews from you and other experienced hands, I plan on giving them another 👀. Gracias a ti y a todos.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

Hi Monique,
Given Dave Bugg's verdict (and he is the guru on Camino gear) that no rain jacket - no matter how expensive - is going to be truly waterproof and fully breathable in real life, may I suggest you visit your local Decathlon and have a look at their summer weight rain jacket? In the UK the women's version weighs 175g and costs £9.99. It is described as waterproof and breathable.
Buen Camino!
Hi,
Thank you! I have already decided that I won’t buy a Zpack jacket and nothing else from the US. I am not convinced that it offers extra value. And the cost of shipping, customs and Dutch VAT (21% of the value) is just too high.
What I will do is bringing a gossamer gear handsfree umbrella, my 150 Gr more or less waterproof jacket from Inov 8, a rain skirt.
I have actually been to Decathlon today to buy a few things but didn’t see this jacket. There is also no FH2900 (cannot see the number now while typing this, hope it is the correct one)on our website.
Thank you all for your thoughts!

Hi,
Thank you! I have already decided that I won’t buy a Zpack jacket and nothing else from the US. I am not convinced that it offers extra value. And the cost of shipping, customs and Dutch VAT (21% of the value) is just too high.
What I will do is bringing a gossamer gear handsfree umbrella, my 150 Gr more or less waterproof jacket from Inov 8, a rain skirt.
I have actually been to Decathlon today to buy a few things but didn’t see this jacket. There is also no FH2900 (cannot see the number now while typing this, hope it is the correct one)on our website.
Actually it was someone else that mentioned this jacket but I will definitely look at yours

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have the Zpacks rain pants. Not cheap but they work great and couldn't be lighter. I love they have them in different lengths.

Hi,
Old Version: https://www.decathlon.nl/p/wandeljas-voor-dames-fh900/_/R-p-302193?mc=8503842
New Version: https://www.decathlon.nl/p/ultralic...st-hiking-fh900-grijs/_/R-p-336381?mc=8670046

Hi,
I simply do not see the value in bringing an utlra-light raincoat for the Camino. Unless you plan on camping, you do not have to bring a tent, sleeping bag and air mattress so very little weight in your pack already. Any rain jacket or rain overcoat or poncho will do just fine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For even less weight (110g for a mens large) and a bit lower price (i find it often at a discount in europe) you could look at the Berghaus Hyper 100 jacket. It served me well on my camino (although i had not so much rain) and is well regarded by a couple of people that are well more experienced hikers than i am.
For a lot less money and a bit more weight (200g for a mens large) you could look at the decathlon FH900 jacket which i personally also liked a lot for a good compromise between water resistance and
Thank you! I will have a look this week!

For me, being ultralight is very important for my comfort. I have a zpack rainjacket (and rain pants), have worn them on 6 caminos now, more than 4000 km, and they are both still in good shape. I walk shoulder seasons so rarely have a problem with sweating. In fact I often wear the jacket as an extra layer of warmth over my fleece jacket. Usually I leave the underarm zippers open, unless it is very cold. In contrast, the one camino I walked with Frogg Toggs, they did not last the camino. They ripped on every bush I walked by. So that is my two cents, recognizing that we are all different.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
zPacks Vertice Rain Jacket (large): 5.9 ounces / 167 grams Price: $ 299.00 (cpk) 0.37 cents **
Frogg Toggs Ultra-Lite Rain Jacket: 8.8 ounces / 249 grams Price: (avg US) $ 13.27 (cpk) 0.016 cents**

** Cost per kilometer from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela

Last edited:
I suspect that there is some marketing going on here. Tearing up a rain gear by walking against a bush? I walked the Camino Frances twice and I can assure you that you a pilgrim will have to walk out of his way to brush up against a bush. The Camino Frances is NOT Bushwhacking!

To walk the Camino Frances, one does not need to have an expensive rain gear period.

I suspect that there is some marketing going on here. Tearing up a rain gear by walking against a bush? I walked the Camino Frances twice and I can assure you that you a pilgrim will have to walk out of his way to brush up against a bush. The Camino Frances is NOT Bushwhacking!

To walk the Camino Frances, one does not need to have an expensive rain gear period.
‘Nuf said. That works for me! Thank you one and all.

The Camino Frances is not the only Camino. The lesser travelled caminos can have bushy thorny sections where the path is more like a goat trail!

aah, I guess I have to go nitpick: even on the Frances you can encounter the occasional overgrown part depending on the time of year. And there is at least one alternative section where the roads are quite "wild" (natural? In the sense of "little people walking it"), but i guess the handfull people going over Dragonte are not that many in the first place and even this remote stretch of Camino is not to be compared to Bushwhacking. But there will be the occasional thorny bush to be brushed/pushed aside.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.