• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ZUBIRI - Alternative accommodation

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
Here are my past experiences other than the Municipal albergue.

PENSION USOA - Just as you have crossed the bridge on the LEFT hand side opposite an Albergue.
Pilgrims have a choice to share a room or there are 2 or 3 single-bed rooms with en suite bathroom and loo, these are very reasonably priced.The Pension has a comfortable lounge , a dinning room with large table and chairs and a fully equipped kitchen. The friendly owner lives accross the road.

HOTEL DE MONTANA - On your left as you walk out of town. This Hotel is a hidden gem. From the outside one has no idea what a fantastic little place this is.They serve a great Menu del dia. Perhaps a little expensive for pilgrims but not overpriced compared to other hotels. Staff are Attentive and pleasing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Renshaw. The Zubiri municipal is on my "worst stop" list. The smartest folks I meet there pitched their tent in the yard or slept out under the stars. I wondered what the other options were in Zubiri.

It's a shame, really, because it could be a very nice alburgue with a little elbow grease.

In March we stayed in Albergue Zaldiko. Privately owned, room for 24 pilgrims in 4 rooms. Kitchen, coffee machine and free internet. And above all - clean. At that time cost was 10€.
Located on the right side when you enter the town.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed at Albergue Zaldiko in July 2010 excellent Albergue very clean and one of the best on the Camino good value at 10Euro

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Also in Zubiri Pension Bento Barri very clean and reasonable (10 euro each) Turn left as you come onto the main street the pension is situated on 2nd or 3rd floor of apartment block on left hand side of the road (just beyond the bar). Accommodation is in 3 shared rooms, one shared bathroom and simple kitchen-towels provided :D . Friendly elderly Signora lives in her sitting room over the busy period. Contacts from Ireland mobile 0034 948304376 and 0034 636134781.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Such a small village and look at all the options - I had no idea - Imagine the data base we could establish or Am I reinventing the wheel?

Excellent! , thats quite a comprehensive list - what we need now is a 'Tripadvisor' review site.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Renshaw,

That's an interesting idea. I do some website design and could probably throw something (somewhat less complicated than Tripadvisor :D) together. Do you think people would use a Camino Tripadvisor-type review site?

Anna-Marie

Perhaps what we need is an Accommodation page on this forum? I have scrolled through endless old posts looking for accommodation for my group walk next year.

I agree with Sil. I've been doing the exact same, scrolling for Madrid room info. It is a bit tedious.... Ivar, is this possible?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also would welcome a tripadvisor type website for alternative accommodation. My walking club from Australia is planning to walk part of the Camino next year, but we don't want to stay in the refuges and we are finding it difficult from so far away to check out the standard of the alternative accommodation. All recommendations gratefully accepted.
Cheers

Do you think people would use a Camino Tripadvisor-type review site?

I like the idea . I would use it and I would review as well.

We would use it, and we would definitely post reviews after our trip so that future groups would not have as much trouble as we are in finding suitable accommodation. We don't want 5star, we just want clean single/double/twin rooms, preferably with breakfast.
Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
cabeille, I have booked rooms for 15 people in 8 places, starting from Roncevalles to Logrono: Burgos, Leon, Rabanal to Villafranca del Bierzo and then from Sarria to Santiago. Wiktoria from Ivar's Camino Travel Centre is booking the other 9 places. (We will stay in 2 traditional albergues where one can't book ahead).
When is your walking club going to be doing the camino - and which part? I may be able to help you with websites etc.

dutchpilgrim said:
Yep. Reinventing the weel.
http://www.caminhodesantiago.com/hosped ... ogrono.htm
Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo
That's an impressive list Carli! I had NO idea that there were so many possibilities for accommodation as far as Logroño. When I walk, I download pages from caminodesantiago.consumer.es. This site is practically up to date on all the pilgrim albergues public and private along the Camino. You can then enter the Albergues section and you can read all the reports written by pilgrims who have stayed in these places (mostly in Spanish, I must admit), but for me it has been invaluable. Another site is info.caminoguide.net, this time in English, very clearly presented and also being continually updated. Yes, I think that it would be a good idea to either have a section on Accommodation - or better still - a Travellers Point type of site. Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Confraternity of St James guide to the Camino Frances provides much of this accommodation information, and it's based on feedback from the previous year's pilgrims. Although it would be nice perhaps to have a website where pilgrims can post 'reviews' of different albergues.

In Zubiri my favourite place is also Albergue Zaldiko. It's extremely clean and the owner, Maria, is so helpful to pilgrims. But it's also very popular so fills up quickly. Best to book in advance or you'll miss out on a bed.

Trudy

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.