• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zubiri start

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
I have 21 days (Sept 16 - Oct 5, 2014) to walk the Camino Frances. I'll be making my air reservations soon so the dates might change just a little. I want to keep my days about 20km average. And spending time in cities and villages and preserving my knees more important than crossing the Pyrenees this trip. I will do the entire Pyrenees to SdC another time. I'll exit out at Burgos.

So I penciled out a plan starting in Zubiri. Day 1 is flight from home. Day 2 lands me in Madrid at 8am-ish and then bus to Pamplona. Then another bus or other transport (comments welcome please) to Zubiri. Does anyone know roughly what time I'd get to Zubiri? (my husband doesn't remember what time they passed through on his way to SJPdP or what time they made it to SJPdP). If I make all my connections will I get to Zubiri in time to grab a bed there or will all the Pereginos coming down from Roncevalles beat me to the albergue beds? Budget is a concern so I'd rather not hotel it.

Day 3 Zubiri to Pamplona, play tourist and overnight there. Is there enough to do in Pamplona to spend the morning of day 4 there and then walk the short distance to Cizur Menor after lunch and grab a bed?

Meanwhile I've been starting to look at each city and village to see what's there and taking notes.

thanks!!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Since you plan to bus from Madrid to Pamplona why not start walking west on the camino directly from Pamplona ? Whatever you decide do take care descending the Alto de Perdon; it's a doozy and especially difficult in fog or heavy rain! MM
Only because I want to walk west into Pamplona!!!! Crazy aren't I?? Thanks for the Alto de Perdon warning.

If you start in Zubiri, take note that the Camino goes on the other side of the old bridge. There is no evident signpost in Zubiri proper. I took the wrong way, and walked some uninteresting miles by the highway, until I managed to retake the right road.
As a fellow pilgrim told me, "well, now you have a good excuse to come back another year..."

If you start in Zubiri, take note that the Camino goes on the other side of the old bridge. There is no evident signpost in Zubiri proper. I took the wrong way, and walked some uninteresting miles by the highway, until I managed to retake the right road.
As a fellow pilgrim told me, "well, now you have a good excuse to come back another year..."
Hopefully I'll have time for a recon walk the night before! Thanks for the hint. I've strained/sprained or worse one of my knee ligaments and couldn't get an appointment with my orthopedic doctor until this coming Friday. I am walking my camino, just may have to take it a bit less hilly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd recommend double checking the bus times when you get to Pamplona.

In September there are two buses a day (M-F) from Pamplona that stop in Zubiri. The first is at 1:00pm and it's a small bus used mostly by the locals. The second bus is the large coach at 6:00pm that is full of pilgrims going to Roncesvalles. On Saturdays the large coach departs at 4:00pm instead of 6:00pm. There is no bus, big or small, on Sundays.

The fare from Pamplona to Zubiri is 2.10 euros.

Here is the info on the 1:00pm bus:
http://www.autobusesdenavarra.com/siv/internet/itinerarios.jsp?codigoEmpresa=110&codigoItinerario=96

Regarding the albergues in Zubiri, you can book Albergue El Palo de Avellano via email or phone. In my opinion (after staying in Zubiri at both private albergues and several pensions), El Palo has the nicest facility (15 euros for bed and breakfast) and the best dinner (12 euros) in town. According to the listing on the Eroski site, you can book Albergue Zaldiko only by phone, but email will likely work, too.

El Palo de Avellano: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-el-palo-de-avellano
Zaldiko: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-zaldiko

Regarding time in Pamplona, I think it does warrant some time to look around. Food, architecture, gardens, history, the bull-run route - all interesting! - and Pamplona has all the services you may need such as the post office, cell phone stores, gear shops, and supermarkets. The only reason you might not want to spend time in Pamplona is to keep pace with your new pilgrim friends who are walking farther than Cizur Menor the next day. In any event, since Cizur is only 5 kms from Pamplona, you should have no trouble finding a bed if you arrive mid-afternoon.

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back