• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zubiri

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree with K, I stayed there last year and it was fantastic, although a little out of town. They also accept bikes.

In April 2015 I stayed at the municipal albergue in Zubiri, not a very positive experience.
In 2017 during Holy Week the town was very busy and the municipal had opened a gym floor in the back for overflow. A bus picked up a load of pilgrims and took them elsewhere as the whole town was "completo". Thankfully we had made a reservation at the next town along the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had the same experience in Sept 2016, I got one of the last beds in the second ground floor room at the municipal and before long upstairs was full and the old gym was opened with people begging for camping mats to sleep on.

I had the same experience in Sept 2016, I got one of the last beds in the second ground floor room at the municipal and before long upstairs was full and the old gym was opened with people begging for camping mats to sleep on.
After the lovely experience in the quiet, delightful municipal in Valcarlos, the one in Zubiri was a real disappointment. However, I was still thankful to have a place to sleep that night. I was very happy with all other lodging as I moved along on the trail.

I also stayed at Suseia in May 2017 and loved it.
Very warm welcome after a strenuous walk in pouring rain, beautiful dinner, nice room and showers and a generous breakfast.
I felt like being a guest in a private home.
Would definitely return. It is well worth the few extra steps to get there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Albergue Suseia is amazing -wonderful modern space with such thoughtful extras -such as towels & bathmats. Warm hosts & excellent dinner. :):):)
Will 2nd this about Albergue Susie’s. An absolute gem to stay in and amazing host in Alex. Highly recommended

I, too, stayed at Albergue Suseia on April 24, 2017. It was here that two Austrian nurses, Gabriell and Zlatica, removed the gravel from my deep arm wound suffered after a backward fall on a steep pitch coming down the backside of the Col de Lepoeder the day before, and placed a battlefield dressing over the tear. I think of them fondly a year later, and happy I landed at the Suseia. The Camino provides...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am only able to parrot what others are saying. My stay was in September 2017 and was easily one of the most comfortable private Albergue’s I stayed in. I ask my host for a nicerr glass of wine. My host poured me a glass of wine from his own collection, calling it the #3 in the previous year’s Navara will me competition, Astounding!
Wonderful meals, wonderful hosts, ..... a must stay.
(An extra 100 steps on your Camino.....really worth the effort)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
At the time, I did not know that the owner/operator of the "snack truck" at the Alto de Erro on the bend in the N-135 before heading down hill the final 3+ kilometers into Zubiri, was also the owner of the Suseia. I stayed at the Ultreia in SJPDP. He saw my sello and said, "very good albergue," but never mentioned his association with the Suseia—he just handed me a brochure after he stamped my Credencial. He smiled. He smiled again later that same day after his "truck work" was finished for the day. He then had on his Suseia hat. Perfect!

We've hiked Camino Frances three times and each time have found the final descent into Zubiri to be quite challenging. Steep downhill slopes on slippery, sometimes wet rocks. No doubt this contributed to "black toe" I developed each CF. Does anyone know of an alternate route to Zubiri to avoid the last trecherous part? The Gronze map indicates it may be possible to follow N 135, but this is a longer route. Bob

The Municipal was a very disappointing experience on our first Camino.
I've stayed at El Palo and it's very nice.
I now stay at Pension Amets.

€83,-
We've hiked Camino Frances three times and each time have found the final descent into Zubiri to be quite challenging. Steep downhill slopes on slippery, sometimes wet rocks. No doubt this contributed to "black toe" I developed each CF. Does anyone know of an alternate route to Zubiri to avoid the last trecherous part? The Gronze map indicates it may be possible to follow N 135, but this is a longer route. Bob
The N135 is longer but much easier; I always walked it during late autumn/winter.
In dry weather followed the camino to Puerto de Erro where a food truck was often parked. From there walked on the verges of the N135.
In rain or snow I would follow the N135 from Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
The Municipal was a very disappointing experience on our first Camino.
I've stayed at El Palo and it's very nice.
I now stay at Pension Amets.
I have also stayed at El Palo, this is a current notice from their website
"COVID19

As an exceptional measure, the reservation of bunk beds will be for 2 people from the same family or group. In case of being a single person, you must reserve a regular bed in a multiple room.

It is MANDATORY to bring your own sleeping bag (in multiple rooms), mask and hydroalcoholic gel for personal use. It is recommended to bring individual garbage bags to store shoes, clothes and other items. The blankets have been removed and the capacity in the multiple rooms has been reduced.
"

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
F8CA6272-06FB-4D35-822E-B7011B60E808.jpeg
Cannot comment on the Zuberi Albergue, municipal or otherwise, but after a tough day on the long, rugged downhill we stayed at one of the best lodging experiences of the Camino. Best part was private use of a huge hot tub which we really needed.

Yes we stayed at Casa Txantorena during our 2019 camino and loved the place. We have reservations there again mid September. There is a nice outside garden to enjoy a few glasses of wine. We had an incredible view from our bedroom window. And a sumptuous breakfast the next morning.45302C34-01FB-4293-9DEF-84A8D23B5776.jpeg

Attachments

• DD34200F-E5F8-4DFC-A4BF-5C26D8657F31.jpeg
    DD34200F-E5F8-4DFC-A4BF-5C26D8657F31.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Yes we stayed at Casa Txantorena during our 2019 camino and loved the place. We have reservations there again mid September. There is a nice outside garden to enjoy a few glasses of wine. We had an incredible view from our bedroom window. And a sumptuous breakfast the next morning.View attachment 102675
Agree on the terrific room and view. Balcony window covered with beautiful flowers. I felt a little guilty hanging some laundry out to dry.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back