• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zubiri

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Zubiri has more options than Larrasoana, but accommodation between St Jean and Pamplona can be tight especially in busy periods. Im not sure when you are walking.
Zubiri is at the bottom of a hill with ridges across the track. It can be tricky to walk down, and a challenge to knees, especially if slippery. From Zubiri to Larrasoana is easier terrain.
Some people like to walk on to Larrasoana to give them a shorter walk into Pamplona and more time there the next day.
I find the sight of the bridge into Zubiri a welcome sight after I've picked my way down that track and avoided all the limestone ridges.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Austin. My walking companion and strategist always chose the end of the road. Don't be tempted by the first cafe, the first anything. Me? Lazybones, I would plump for the easy route, except in the end, she is right!
And always check out the exit route at night.
That said, we walked to Larrasoaña, to fit with our onward schedule.
Buen camino.

Walking on the CF path down to Zubiri can be very difficult in wet weather ie, rain, sleet or snow. However many accommodations are there at all price levels. In good weather if space is difficult to find in Zubiri opposite the town on the south side of the Arga river along the dry CF path you might find a nook for ad hoc camping.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I prefer to stay in Larrosoana, although I do take a nice break in Zubiri to eat, drink, and relax a bit.
My problem with Larrosoana is that half the time, there's nothing open there.
I should stay there sometime. Where do you stay?

Also, Zubiri is tiny, not a whole lot of options for sleeping, and the municipal has always been nasty dirty, in my opinion. I won't stay in that municipal. Other options in Zubiri can be found on Gronze.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Having overnighted in both Zubiri and Larrasoaña, I have to say that, as towns go, I preferred Zubiri. The central part of town was quite lively with a street market the day we were there plus there was a great cafe in the center of town that proved to be a great meeting place with other pilgrims. However, an overnight in Larrazoaña puts you about 6 kms closer to Pamplona guaranteeing an earlier arrival into the city if that is important to you. Our accommodations in both towns were great. In Larrasoaña I stayed at the Albergue Saint Nicolas that offered a wonderful communal dinner. In Zubiri, we stayed at a very nice private inn the Txantxorena. I believe that you’ll experience a certain amount of fatigue on day two of your Camino after having crossed the Pyrenees. Making day two a bit shorter by stopping in Zubiri might be just what you need.

Just wondering if you think Zubiri is the place to stay between Roncesvalles and Pamploma
Thanks
Austin
Depending on the time of year you go, make sure you have bookings for the first several nights from SJPDP. We went before Holy Week started and found nothing available in Zubiri. A lovely lady at one albergue started phoning around for us (an hour) and found there was nothing available until Pamplona, so we had to taxi ahead. I taxied back the next morning, paying 50Euros! as I didn't want to leave out any stages at this early point. My 2 friends didn't want to and spent their day in Pamplona, thus the costly taxi.
So be prepared that the first week may not work for spontaneous overnights until the bottleneck thins out. Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My problem with Larrosoana is that half the time, there's nothing open there.
I should stay there sometime. Where do you stay?

Also, Zubiri is tiny, not a whole lot of options for sleeping, and the municipal has always been nasty dirty, in my opinion. I won't stay in that municipal. Other options in Zubiri can be found on Gronze.
Nothing wrong with Zubiri, but I will typically arrive there too early to want to stop walking for the day. I have stayed at 2 different places during my three times staying in Larrosoana, and my favorite is Casa Tau (which is a splurge). My one stay at San Nicolas hostal was quite nice, I thought.

Like many do for Zubiri, I will make reservations ahead for Larrosoana because it does have fewer lodging choices. I also like the fact that by staying in Larrosoana, I am ahead of whatever 'wave' of pilgrims who stay in Zubiri, who also are going to be walking into Pamplona.

By the way, any information about the Zubiri municipal albergue? Is it ever going to open again...?

Yes, absolutely stay in Zubiri. We've stayed there all four caminos. We stayed in three different albergues and each was excellent. There is a nice grocery store to buy wine and/or trail snacks for the next day, but please note it closes on Saturday at 2 pm if that is the day you are hiking. Also a few nice bars and places to eat. There is the historic bridge over the river as well. Bob

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I left Roncesvalles at 8:20am on 17th May 2019, probably one of the last to leave Roncesvalles that very busy day and walked to Zubiri arriving at 3:47pm where I was able to get an unreserved bed at the very nice Albergue El Palo De Avellano. Which I am happy to recommend. It was a very wet day and the hospitalera at El Palo did several clothes washes for pilgrims and cooked a delicious dinner.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back