• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho Portuges de o Salnés

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
My good friend and forummember Diogo92 attended me on a detour from Pontevedra to Pontecessures(Padrón) called the caminho Portuges de o Salnés.
A rather special detour. You walk in 2 days to Vilanova de Arousa and from there by boat to Pontecessures.
I am curious one or two of the million forummembers has walked and "sailed" this detour and what are the experiences.
I got some information about the trip but mainly in Spanish .no problem to read for me but I like the way we communicate on this forum ,reading the big lines and the details.
So hopefully awaiting some response

Best regards from this end of the world.
Albertinho

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My good friend and forummember Diogo92 attended me on a detour from Pontevedra to Pontecessures(Padrón) called the caminho Portuges de o Salnés.
A rather special detour. You walk in 2 days to Vilanova de Arousa and from there by boat to Pontecessures.
I am curious one or two of the million forummembers has walked and "sailed" this detour and what are the experiences.
I got some information about the trip but mainly in Spanish .no problem to read for me but I like the way we communicate on this forum ,reading the big lines and the details.
So hopefully awaiting some response

Best regards from this end of the world.
Albertinho
Untill now no reactions. Nobody knows this route ?ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406968310.280615.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406968331.607582.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406968351.350559.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406968366.541561.jpg

It leads in two days walk from Pontevedra to Vila Nova de Arouso and from there a 28 kms boattour to Ponteseccures (Padrón)

I am curious about any experiences of fellow pilgrims-forummembers who walked this caminho.

Some one asked about walking part of this last year. There was a good blog in Spanish giving specific details about it. She never came back to say if she walked. The route intrests me because there was talk of making a landmarked route which goes from Vilanova de Arosa to Padron, for me I like the thought of doing a coastal route from Porto which takes in as much as possible the coast and has historical connections.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some one asked about walking part of this last year. There was a good blog in Spanish giving specific details about it. She never came back to say if she walked. The route intrests me because there was talk of making a landmarked route which goes from Vilanova de Arosa to Padron, for me I like the thought of doing a coastal route from Porto which takes in as much as possible the coast and has historical connections.

It's already marked Mark :)

Hi Mike sorry for late responding.
We are in a wifiless area ,cruising through Norway We follow the Indonesian and Philipine shipscrew and where they sitdown on shore there is wifi .they know it
I will explore the forum later this month when I will be home again
If you found something about the topic,I am curiously interested.
A greeting from Ålesund Norway
Albertinho

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You might have seen this thread already, I gave a link on it www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/torres-del-oeste-from-padron.23394 The site the link takes you to has slightly changed since I posted it, you now go to the long blue bar underneath the yellow scallop shell header and on that line is a drop down (camino de santiago-jackobsweg) which gives Ao Salnes, Bobs your uncle!

It appeals to me because If I keep walking caminos, the Caminho de Costa from Porto is one which I would like to do and this seems like a very beautiful and natural way to go after joining the central route, even if they did not waymark a land route to Padron, it probably would be easy enough to make your own route which took in a few historical places as well. Not sure about going by boat, the Quay side on the river Exe has some giant pedlo Swan type boats, maybe I will stick to them;)

Been looking at this thread on a mobile, but have access on a full screen computer at the moment Ive just seen the photos properly for the first time and the one with the board giving the 3rd Etapa and distances. I can feel a 12/13 day sojourn calling me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mike. When I am back home,I am going to study the information you mentioned

Best regards from polar bear country
North of the polar circle Tromsø Norway

Albertinho

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You might have seen this thread already, I gave a link on it www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/torres-del-oeste-from-padron.23394 The site the link takes you to has slightly changed since I posted it, you now go to the long blue bar underneath the yellow scallop shell header and on that line is a drop down (camino de santiago-jackobsweg) which gives Ao Salnes, Bobs your uncle!

It appeals to me because If I keep walking caminos, the Caminho de Costa from Porto is one which I would like to do and this seems like a very beautiful and natural way to go after joining the central route, even if they did not waymark a land route to Padron, it probably would be easy enough to make your own route which took in a few historical places as well. Not sure about going by boat, the Quay side on the river Exe has some giant pedlo Swan type boats, maybe I will stick to them;)

Been looking at this thread on a mobile, but have access on a full screen computer at the moment Ive just seen the photos properly for the first time and the one with the board giving the 3rd Etapa and distances. I can feel a 12/13 day sojourn calling me.

Twelve days Mike , hell mate it takes us 4 days there and back with jet lag.
Caminha is calling Mike,
Good luck,
David

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cheers David, I've still got the desire to keep walking after my last Camino, But I have Plantar Fasciis at the moment so I am going to keep my head down and wait for the right time. Have you walked this year, I thought you were walking from Mont St Michel?

Cheers David, I've still got the desire to keep walking after my last Camino, But I have Plantar Fasciis at the moment so I am going to keep my head down and wait for the right time. Have you walked this year, I thought you were walking from Mont St Michel?

Went early Mike as we lost mum in Feb.
Great innings 92.
Went to Somme for Anzac Day ,
Only visited Thiepval where Angela's grandfather lies.

Then off to Mont St Michel.
Very nice,quiet,lonely walk .
If people walked this then we would" never" have a discussion on the forum about getting lost on the Frances or Norte.
It was green and the people were terrific.
Good accommodation and alberques were yours alone if you wish to use.
Saw 12 pilgrims over 500km and all but three were heading "TO" the Mont.
Had trouble when in the Loire as the bikes and there groups book out the towns ........completely.
The camino actually uses the bike roads in many places.
Got a """bit""" wet , just before Bordeaux,got the train, had a holiday there for 3 nights [ love Bordeaux] visited old dutch pilgrim friends just out of Angers [ another city we love for food] where they have a wonderful gite , another 3 nights there with the kidneys failing and then mate we headed to our favourite ...... The Lot
A few days in Cahor , bus to Figeac and then a leisurely 10 days stroll on the GR65 and the Cele valley, back to Cahor.
From Cahors back to Paris for a few nights and then home mate.

Should have gone with friends in August to do the Frances , they were repeating also, but got that look only a wife of 47 years can give.
Have been granted 3 months [July-Sept] next year...God willing Mike.
We will start in Aire- sur- L'Adour and go to Muxia.
I find the french side is a wonderful warm up before the mountains.
** There is a family debate on this as Angela wants to turn RIGHT when we arrive at StJPdP and walk to Biarritz/San Sebastian/Bilbao and then get the bus to Logrono and finish the Frances.
Notice how many of those towns just mention have good tapas/pintxos.
From Muxia the train to Caminha and follow the water as far as we can go towards Finisterre.

And if YOU get a move on we would love to then start in Ribadeo and head east along the coast if all is documented and get onto the Ingles
You blokes made us plot the land out here so your turn there Mike......lol

There's the 3 months gone Mike.
Hope the soles improve mate,
David

Sorry about your loss David.My Mam went in September of last year.
That is a lot of walking and routes,If you like pintxos stop of in Vitoria on the way to Logrono, I spent 2 nights there when I jumped from the Aaragones to Leon, lovely city and great food.
Terry and Valerie are your people for the route from Ribadeo they are possibly walking it next year. Was going to do a long one next year but can feel Hospitalero duties calling, might still walk this year again over xmas and new year but until I book the flight it is just a thought( a strong one).

Good luck to you and the Missus, hope to see you on the road someday.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mike, '
Many have mentioned Vitoria....all good reports.
Yes i know Terry and Valerie are doing the hard yards on Camino Del Mar.
I hope their work will be appreciated and recorded in many lodgings.

Was just an old convict complaining Mike.
Keep well mate.
D

Last edited:
Hi, just going to add this to the thread, it could be just as relevant to the coastal topics, but covers the alternative from the the main route at Pontevedra as well www.campusstellae1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/a-30-dias-do-caminho-da-costa-as-minhas.html It gives the route as 13/14/15 days depending if you start in the center of Porto and walk or sail at the later point, all the stops are at places where there are albergue de peregrinos, when it takes the variant-camino ao salnes it gives the walking distances and the nautical miles when you have the choice of the two.

Buen Camin(h)0

Hi, just going to add this to the thread, it could be just as relevant to the coastal topics, but covers the alternative from the the main route at Pontevedra as well www.campusstellae1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/a-30-dias-do-caminho-da-costa-as-minhas.html It gives the route as 13/14/15 days depending if you start in the center of Porto and walk or sail at the later point, all the stops are at places where there are albergue de peregrinos, when it takes the variant-camino ao salnes it gives the walking distances and the nautical miles when you have the choice of the two.

Buen Camin(h)0
Great information Mike. thanks for posting.
Just doubting where to start the Portugese whether in Povoa da Varzim and walking on to Esposende and Viana do Castelo or Starting in Valenca or Tui and walk to the coast.
We like to walk no more than 20 kms a day and I see a lot of 25 ams tracks so need some study

Anyway thanks again

Bom caminho

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great information Mike. thanks for posting.
Just doubting where to start the Portugese whether in Povoa da Varzim and walking on to Esposende and Viana do Castelo or Starting in Valenca or Tui and walk to the coast.
We like to walk no more than 20 kms a day and I see a lot of 25 ams tracks so need some study

Anyway thanks again

Bom caminho

I would start before Tui
If time is a problem a day or three before hand would be nice , especially along the coast.

I would start before Tui
If time is a problem a day or three before hand would be nice , especially along the coast.
That should mean Viana do Castelo and on to Caminho and cross the ferry to A Guarda and on .
We want to visit casa da Fernanda so thought to go to them from Porto by train,bus ? And from there to get or in Tui or Viana do Castelo and start walking.Anyway we want to walk the coastal to Vigo and from there to Pontevedra and the ruta de Salnés..

That should mean Viana do Castelo and on to Caminho and cross the ferry to A Guarda and on .
We want to visit casa da Fernanda so thought to go to them from Porto by train,bus ? And from there to get or in Tui or Viana do Castelo and start walking.Anyway we want to walk the coastal to Vigo and from there to Pontevedra and the ruta de Salnés..

Viana is a big town,plenty of accommodation , good sleep and then commence.
Just before Caminha [6km] there is a town called Moledo.
All the locals dine for lunch at O Nosso , very good food.
Caminha's alberque is in a very nice spot on river , lovely setting and vibrant town , especially on market day or their many festival [ drop of a hat they have one ]

Ferry across the Minho and you are in Gods country,
Bon Camino Albertinho

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Thornley for the answers.
I know Viana do Castelo. We stayed in Vila Praia de Āncora last spring at a campingsite after finishing the camino Ingles and toured around by our own car as far as Braga, casa da Fernanda, Viana , Caminha and A Guarda before travelling south and eastwards to Tomar,Évora, Sevilla Cáceres and Salamanca among others.
We even showed up in Saint Jean Pied de Port to "taste" the atmosphere there for one day.
Two and a half month on the road .the longest stay away from home ever.
We were like nomads :).
Now I am collecting all the information about the caminho da costa.
The best option should be that we travel from Porto to Viana. Find local transport to casa da Fernanda where we stay, than back to Viana. Than we walk from Viana to the camping in Vila Praia to stay for the night before walking on to Caminha .

The question for me is how to get from Casa da Fernanda to Valença/Tui others as walking. Bus ? Train ? We walked this track already last year but this track does not belong to the walkingplans of our next year's caminho Portuges.
From Valença the walk is south westwards to Vila Nova de Cerveira to cross the bridge over the river Minho and on to A Guarda.

So we want to walk the caminho da Costa but also want to visit Fernanda and her husband Jacinto too for one or two nights

Thanks Thornley for the answers.
I know Viana do Castelo. We stayed in Vila Praia de Āncora last spring at a campingsite after finishing the camino Ingles and toured around by our own car as far as Braga, casa da Fernanda, Viana , Caminha and A Guarda before travelling south and eastwards to Tomar,Évora, Sevilla Cáceres and Salamanca among others.
We even showed up in Saint Jean Pied de Port to "taste" the atmosphere there for one day.
Two and a half month on the road .the longest stay away from home ever.
We were like nomads :).
Now I am collecting all the information about the caminho da costa.
The best option should be that we travel from Porto to Viana. Find local transport to casa da Fernanda where we stay, than back to Viana. Than we walk from Viana to the camping in Vila Praia to stay for the night before walking on to Caminha .

The question for me is how to get from Casa da Fernanda to Valença/Tui others as walking. Bus ? Train ? We walked this track already last year but this track does not belong to the walkingplans of our next year's caminho Portuges.
From Valença the walk is south westwards to Vila Nova de Cerveira to cross the bridge over the river Minho and on to A Guarda.

So we want to walk the caminho da Costa but also want to visit Fernanda and her husband Jacinto too for one or two nights

Is Casa De Fernanda south of Porto?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back