Camino Forum App now available
Camino Forum Android APP Camino Forum iOS APP
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

FORUM RULES

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ivar, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivar

ivar Administrator Staff Member Donating Member

These are the rules of this Camino forum and they will be used by moderators with the intention of making this forum a good and comfortable place to share and exchange anything related to the Camino de Santiago.

Point system: This forum has implemented a point system for those users that violate any of the rules below. Every member starts with 0 points, but for each infraction the user is given x number of warning points. Each point given is automatically removed 1 month later.

Users that accumulate the following number of active/non-expired points will see the following:
    1-4 points - No action
    5-9 points - All posts need to be approved by a moderator
    10-19 points - Banned for 1 month
    20-29 points - Banned for 3 months
    30 and more points (does not expire) - Banned.

If you see that any of your posts has been moderated, please check your current Point Balance on your profile page (under your avatar).

1) Please do not be rude or write anything that can be considered a personal attack. We can have opinions that differ on topics, but we should not get rude or personal. What is rude? or what is a personal attack and what is not? The "receiver" of a comment might think it is rude/a personal attack, while the author might disagree. The final judgement is made by the moderators (we will do the best we can).

2) No discussions on religion, bull fights , sports and politics. These topics "always" end in a fight, so let's not go there. It is true that the Camino and religion is closely related, so some leeway will be given.

3) No commercial posts in the forum. As the Camino becomes more and more popular, there are more products and services related to the Camino. If you have one, please feel free to post it in our Camino Resources section. Post each product only one time, this will generate an automatic post in the Camino Resources forum making this the only forum for commercial posts. The one exception is that Camino Books posted in the Resource section will have their automatic posts appear in the Camino Book section.

Conclusion: All commercial posts (including books) should be posted in the resource section. If it is a "Camino Resource Book", it will automatically (you do not have to do anything) show up in the Camino Book forum.

Exception: Lodging facilities can post one post describing their place in the "Lodging" forum within each Camino. No unnecessary "bumping" allowed" (replying to your own post to get more attention).

All other commercial posts will be removed.

4) Obscene language and subjects are prohibited. The occasional slip will be tolerated, but please do not let it become a habit.

5) No trolling. Trolling consists of provoking large volumes of responses by posting absurdities, deliberately offensive insults, etc.

6) Personal comments that are not of general interest should be done by using a Private Message/Conversation. If it's a private comment, then it's a private message.

7) If you do not agree on a moderator decision, please contact the moderator or @ivar in a Private Conversation. All disagreements should be handled in Private Conversations and not in public.

8) Each person is only allowed to have one account in the forum.

9) If you are walking for charity and ask for money, this should be done in the 'Walking for a good cause' section of the Camino Resource section.
    All post asking for money in the forum will be deleted.

10) Commercial avatars are not permitted. Members will be asked to remove those deemed to be commercial. Moderators will warn members and remove these avatars. @ivar shall determine if an avatar violates this rule.

11) Signatures should be a maximum of 3 lines "tall".

12) For photos uploaded to the forum
    (including the Photo section) the following rules apply:
    • Photos uploaded to the forum is the property of the person who took the photo.
    • Please only upload photos that are your own.
    • To use these photos in any other way, please contact the person who took the photo for permission.
    @ivar will have the final say in any dispute.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  2. stevenjarvis

stevenjarvis Active Member

Ivar, wonderful. I love the VIOLATION POINTS ! Can we reduce them by attending confession, or is that religion ?:oops:

LaurelL, Jean MB, FamPed and 12 others like this.
  3. ivar

We might start trading points (kidding!).. :)

FamPed, SYates, Davey Boyd and 9 others like this.
  4. vicrev

vicrev Active Member

Well done Ivar,all good......:).....Vicrev

5. stevenjarvis

Brilliant idea. Can we exchange Violation Points for Likes Received or Trophy Points ? Will the Violation Points be visible somewhere, and will they be on public display ?
    We could set up a kind of Nasdaq exchange with a Violation Points Volatility Index etc. Endless possibilities.

peachluck and Saint Mike II like this.
  6. vicrev

vicrev Active Member

7. stevenjarvis

Vicrev you have offended me by being a creep, I award you 3 Violation Points. :p

EDIT
    I have realised that sticking my tongue out at you might be offensive, therefore I have awarded myself 3 Violation Points.

8. vicrev

vicrev Active Member

Your Post,steven,would have to be the first test for the new rules & in record time !!!......:eek:.:p..........Anonymous

9. ivar

These points are only visible to moderators and me.

Caneadea likes this.
  10. stevenjarvis

So members wont know how many and for what violation ?

11. ivar

Well, you will see your own points (I have not checked this, but I would imagine that you can see it on your own profile page). Once you receive point(s) we will send you a private conversation with the reasons why.

Caneadea and FatmaG like this.
  12. stevenjarvis

Ok thanks Ivar that makes sense. Let's hope the moderators don't have to use them ...

13. Al the optimist

Al the optimist Veteran Member Donating Member

Nice improvement, well done guys.

14. wawpdx

wawpdx Active Member

My favorite is Rule 6 although I know it will always be one with lots of gray areas.

I think the discussion of the sense of a shift in the tone of some sections of the forum and hence the level of trust, has already resulted in some kinder, gentler phrasing or explaining. Including more moderators makes sense to me because some of the previous ones seem to have faded away.

Thank you, Ivar!

wayfarer likes this.
  15. FatmaG

FatmaG Active Member

At the same time, the point 6 is the most difficult to judge, I think.
    I might very well write a personal comment which in my eyes is of general interest but in the eyes of the readers isn't. (because the comments related to personal experiences are often personal things --- well, do you understand what I mean by this?)
    But it is a good thing on the other hand as we will hopefully be more attentive to one another.

Caneadea likes this.
  16. falcon269

falcon269 sidra; no commercial interests

Camino(s) past & future:
    yes
    Under Rule 6, shouldn't a message directed at Ivar go only to Ivar as a PM???;)

Irony will be rampant for a while, I am thinking...

Did I just get my first point for rampant cynicism?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    stevenjarvis and FatmaG like this.
  17. tyrrek

tyrrek Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
    This looks good to me, but I think the ban on discussion of religion might need some further clarification given that the Camino is a pilgrimage. (I guess this rule is really aimed at those long, generic threads on religious dogma that extend way beyond the original posting.) Thanks for the work on this review. Buen Camino!

18. AJ

AJ Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Malaga(08)Leon(09,11)San Sebastian(09)Vezelay(10)Canterbury-Rome(11)Rome-SdC(12)Winchester-SdC(13)Piedmont,Frances,Portuguese(14)MaryMichael,Norte,Frances(15)Levante,Sanabres,Invierno(16)
    I have a slight problem with this ban too and for the same reason.

indyinmaine likes this.
  19. Caplen

Caplen Wherever you go, there you are.

Camino(s) past & future:
    Fall 2000 - Frances;
    Summer 2001 - Norte/Frances/Fisterra;
    Spring 2015 - SJPdP>Irun(GR10)>SdC((Norte)>Fisterra/Muxia
    Agreed. I'm concerned that such a ban would not be applied fairly. The Camino has a long catholic history and religious trappings, and many pilgrims walk it for devoutly catholic/christian reasons. But many pilgrims are of other faiths, or agnostic or atheist. They walk it for reasons that may or may not be religious, spiritual or secular. They should have an equal voice.

I regularly see postings where fellow peregrinos make religious references, blessings, greetings or prayers, or speak of their religious motivations. I've never witnessed anyone complain about that (and to be clear, I am not complaining about that).

I've only witnessed things get "huffy" if anyone expresses a thought that does not fall in line with unquestioned, unchallenged devotion to the catholic church.

Personal attacks on the religious faith of individuals on either side are not acceptable, obviously. But discussing church and religion in general, even critically, as it pertains to the Camino in history, pre-history, and modern times should not be censored.

20. Lise T

Lise T Guest

Hi Ivar and Mod's

Thanks for the work you have put into these rules. I think they are great.

Yes..some of them will be hard to enforce/apply...but you have to start somewhere.

Im just wondering.....was there a post that introduced the new moderators? I may have missed it.

:)

21. LTfit

LTfit Veteran Member Donating Member

Hi Lise T,

No, you didn't miss anything;)!
    I have joined the ranks along with MendiWalker, Susannafromsweden and Tincatinker.

Regarding rule 2): if you read beyond the bold type you can see that there will be leeway given, just as in the past. Actually nothing new.

Cheers
    Update: Ivar just posted a new thread with the entire list of moderators

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    Rosemaryk1 and Lise T like this.
  22. Kiwi-family

Kiwi-family Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Astorga to Santiago (2012); Baztan, Voie de la Nive, Frances to Leon, Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra and back (2014); Oxfam Trailwalkers NZ (2015); Portuguese from Porto (June 2015); Via de la Plata/Sanabres (May/June 2016)
    If you want to trial whether the condemned party can see their black marks, you can give me 50 and I'll tell you whether they are visible to me or not. If that results in me being banned for two months, then I'll get a lot of work done at home;-) (I'm serious if you want to try it out)

Lise T and Susannafromsweden like this.
  23. Lise T

Lise T Guest

Thanks LTfit

And Rachel. ...I totally understand.....im having the same problem......:)

24. stevenjarvis

I agree with Caplen in that it is going to be a challenge to define "religion" and subsequently censor discussion in a forum predicated on Christianity. So good luck with that....

25. William Marques

William Marques Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I think tolerance will be our watchword when dealing with discussions of religion and the Caminos. As with all discussions it is not the variety of opinions that is a problem but when posts become personal we have to act.

smj6, koilife, Kanga and 2 others like this.
  26. JohnMcM

JohnMcM Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances - Muxia - Finisterre 2014
    StJPdP to Burgos 2015
    Primitivo 2015
    Porto -SDC 2016
    Portuguese Senda Litoral 2016
    Ingles 2016
    The rules have been proven to be necessary as far as I can determine, although personally I wish they were not necessary.

Seems to me a sensible thing to do so, why don't we all give them a go to start with folks. If it turns out you have an issue then perhaps you can raise your concern with mods via a PM?

Respect for each other, each other's views and opinions and diversity of thought can't be a bad thing can it?

NewBeginning, Mmc_56 and Rosemaryk1 like this.
  27. Tincatinker

Tincatinker Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Lots ;0)
    Having been firmly, and rightly spanked for an im-moderate post on this forum I promise to strive not to take myself, or indeed anything posted on this forum too seriously. I will strive to regard it more as a conversation in a pub - a valuable part of human life - lively, contradictory and subject to occasional carelessness. Nevertheless this thread was opened by Ivar as a (re)statement of the rules of this forum. And if anyone is entitled to set the rules of this forum it can only be Ivar. The rest of us, well, we can participate, choose not too or even set up our own dissenters forum ( if we really want to work that hard).
    Meanwhile the rules have been set, and me I 'm happy to strive to post within those boundaries.

28. ivar

Dear all,

The ideal situation is to not have any rules at all. For those that have been with us for some years, you will remember that this forum was working for about 6-7 years with no rules at all. I realize as we grow, we need some rules, and that is why I have created the rules above. These rules can of course change over time, and please let me know by sending me a Private Conversation if you have ideas for new rules. I promise to have a look at them. As for today (november 2013) I think the rules are pretty good and covers what we need to cover.

The users that have offered their time to moderate here in the forum, should of course be able to like and comment as other members. They are pilgrims first, moderators second.

As mentioned, if anyone have ideas for improvements of the forum rules, please send me a Private Conversation. For now I will lock this thread, and post updates if any of the rules are edited or new ones added.

Thanks all!
    Ivar

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    FamPed, Dennis D, josway2015 and 3 others like this.
  29. ivar

Update: I added this to rule #3:

"The one exception is Books posted in the resource section, they will have their automatic posts appear in the Camino Book section. "

30. ivar

I have added a rule #8:
    8) Each person is only allowed to have one account in the forum.

31. ivar

Updates the warning point intervals. Added "5-9 points - All posts need to be approved by a moderator"

Tia Valeria likes this.
  32. ivar

You can now see your Warning Point Balance under your avatar on your profile page. Added the following above:

"If you see that any of your posts has been moderated, please check your current Point Balance on your profile page (under your avatar)."

Tia Valeria likes this.
  33. ivar

Today we have added the following rules to our Forum Rules:

10) Commercial avatars are not permitted. Members will be asked to remove those deemed to be commercial. Moderators will warn members and remove these avatars. @ivar shall determine if an avatar violates this rule.

11) Signatures should be a maximum of 3 lines "tall".

34. ivar

Today I have added the following rule related to photos uploaded to the forum.

12) For photos uploaded to the forum (including the Photo section) the following rules apply:
    • Photos uploaded to the forum is the property of the person who took the photo.
    • Please only upload photos that are your own.
    • To use these photos in any way, please contact the person who took the photo for permission.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  35. ivar

Update: Added "Bull fights" to rule #2. :confused:

natefaith, Kialoa3, dougfitz and 3 others like this.
  36. ivar

Update: Added this to rule #3:

Exception: Lodging facilities can post one post describing their place in the "Lodging" forum within each Camino. No unnecessary "bumping" allowed" (replying to your own post to get more attention).

37. ivar

Updated Rule #3 regarding books posted in the forum. From now on all commercial products (including books) should be posted in the Resource section only.

If the resource that is posted is a book, an a new thread will be automatically created in the "Camino Book forum" once the resource has been created.

Kanga likes this.
  38. William Marques

William Marques Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Post to move rules to top of page.

SYates likes this.
  39. wayfarer

wayfarer Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
    Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
    SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
    In answer to a question we received, the link to the Forum Rules is at the top of every page. See image below.

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.10.21_15h14m58s_001_.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.