Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Madrid trains this spring??

Mito

Jan 23, 2018
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2011, 2013, 2018) Roncesvalles-Astorga
CLeP (2013) Le Puy-?
GUD (2019) Dovre-Trondheim
I am confused. When I look to see what the train options are from Santiago to Madrid in April, I only see two options and both are a 9 hour trip, changing trains part-way with a layover (Rail Europe). Yet many sites say there are several direct trains daily and the trip is only a bit over 3 hours. That's a big difference!

So my question is: am I simply trying to book too soon or is the direct, fast train between Santiago and Madrid cancelled or on hiatus?

I'm having a similar issue getting to Sarria although it looks like the direct train is just not available the day I need it. So.....I'll probably take a rest day in Madrid before heading to Sarria.

YEs, I know I could fly, but I absolutely love trains and far prefer them to flying.

Reactions: DirtAmy
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
So my question is: am I simply trying to book too soon or is the direct, fast train between Santiago and Madrid cancelled or on hiatus?
I think you are looking too soon. Trains are showing on the booking sites up until the end of March. Very likely that they will open for April reservations soon.

gyna2006

Jan 2, 2024
Romania
March 2024
Hi, Mito!
Yes, it is too soon.
I will take the train too from and to Madrid in late April and renfe.es the spanish speed railway company has not opened yet the booking dates for April.
I checked for myself and the most further in time for buying a train ticket is end of March.
So, you will have to wait until March, maybe middle of it to book your train tickets.
Buen Camino!

Reactions: trecile and Mito
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Mito

Jan 23, 2018
CLeP (2013) Le Puy-?
Thank you all! I'm booking through RailEurope as this is what I've done before. Any advantages booking direct through Renfe?

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Jan 3, 2017
Lancashire UK
Annually - often more - from 2014
Thank you all! I'm booking through RailEurope as this is what I've done before. Any advantages booking direct through Renfe?
Might be fractionally cheaper direct with RENFE, although their payment system sometimes doesn’t like North American cards. PayPal does seem to work though.

My preference is Trainline where you can set an alert for when your chosen service is available for booking.

Do book as soon as available - it’s vastly cheaper than a walk-up ticket.

Reactions: Mito and Bradypus
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Might be fractionally cheaper direct with RENFE, although their payment system sometimes doesn’t like North American cards. PayPal does seem to work though.
In the past I had trouble using my North American CC on Renfe, but I just successfully used it on the site a few days ago. In the past I used PayPal.
My preference is Trainline where you can set an alert for when your chosen service is available for booking.
Rail Europe used to have the feature to set up an alert, but last time I looked it didn't. It's very useful to be able to book as soon as the tickets are released because the prices can be very low.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Mito

Jan 23, 2018
CLeP (2013) Le Puy-?
Thanks all! I'll set up an alert through Trainline. I've always booked through RailEurope and early April didn't seem too far ahead. But I guess it is......

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Odd, I have just bought tickets from León to Barcelona for May 2nd via the Renfe website. It was surprisingly easy
The tickets I just purchased were Barcelona to Zaragoza for May 11. I guess that some routes haven't been released yet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Jan 3, 2017
Lancashire UK
Annually - often more - from 2014
@henrythedog I just did a search on TrainLine for SdC to Madrid in May. Since there are buses available it's not giving me the option to set up an alert for train tickets. What am I missing?
If you Google ‘ticket alert Trainline’ it explains - however I just tried for a date beyond RENFE’s current availability and I wasn’t given the option.

I’ll have a play around later.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

vinsman

May 13, 2012
Sacramento, CA
vinsman.com
Camino Primitivo
Camino Portuguese
I am confused. When I look to see what the train options are from Santiago to Madrid in April, I only see two options and both are a 9 hour trip, changing trains part-way with a layover (Rail Europe). Yet many sites say there are several direct trains daily and the trip is only a bit over 3 hours. That's a big difference!

I'm having a similar issue getting to Sarria although it looks like the direct train is just not available the day I need it. So.....I'll probably take a rest day in Madrid before heading to Sarria.

YEs, I know I could fly, but I absolutely love trains and far prefer them to flying.
You are too early. The train schedule is out only about a month before departures.

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
I don't know I'd this has anything to do with the delay in posting, but there is supposed to be an even faster connection which shaves another 30 minutes or so off this route. There's been controversy about why it isn't ready yet (equipment, etc), but they did a test run in January and the train brought the 3 Kings for the holiday celebration.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
Hi all! Have you used Pilgrim.es to plan your Camino? The reviews that I have found make me a bit nervous. Bit I can’t find any other company that will work with my group size. I don’t mind paying...
Hi All, My next leg is from Los Arcos. I'm hoping to go back in Sept and as i will be solo this time and no one to shared transfer costs with im trying to figure out best routes for bus and train...
Ryanair have announced that after November they will no longer be flying to/from Bordeaux. Unfortunate for those heading for SJPDP as it is a useful alternative to Biarritz...
I’m going to be getting the Monbus from Lavacolla just outside Santiago airport to Samos on Tuesday Is it worth booking online or ok to pay cash on the bus? Any thoughts would be welcome. Pay on...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides