• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Language Learning Software or other suggestions...

ChristineW67

Time of past OR future Camino
June "2014"
Hola!

I'm starting my Camino adventure mid June 2014. I have the time and desire, and would very much like to learn more Spanish. Currently, I can order food, gather essentials from a market, and behave in a courteous manner (salutations, please, thank you...), but I can't have a conversation. Worse yet, I can ask directions but cannot understand the answers. This last part worries me the most. I worry about getting lost in the larger cities and towns. I am easily overwhelmed by chaotic traffic and crowds, so understanding is often difficult even in English. I bought Rosetta Stone, but have a difficult time working thru the tedium. I'm interested in other options and techniques of language acquisition. I feel very limited by my ignorance and am ready to overcome.

Thank you for your kind suggestions,
Fondly, Christine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Check locally were you are living to see if there is a conversational Spanish class this fall or winter. That may help you get thru some of your concerns. Buana Suerte and Buen Camino

I love love LOVE Rosetta Stone.
I'm working on the 3d course now.
I tried many other programs but it was the best for me.
The "tedium" only lasted through the first few lessons.

Anyway, somewhere on here is another thread with many many suggestions for learning Spanish, including some free options online that are good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is always some element of sitting down and learning the verb structures, tenses etc, which can be dull whether done in a class or through an internet course etc, but fortunately you have a good reason to learn and have lots of motivation.

If possible you could try watching Spanish language TV or listening to the radio. (The news and documentaries have good clear Spanish.) This can be a bit disheartening if you're still at an elementary level and don't understand any more than the basic gist of what's going on, but it's useful in 2 ways;
1) it gives you 'the ear' for Spanish, and gets you used to the sound of it. To many who haven't yet got 'the ear' a sentence sounds like one long word, and
2) it helps you to identify the 'linking and thinking' words/expressions that people use while they're thinking about what to say next (pues, entonces...etc) so you're more able to focus on the substance of what they're saying.

A one to one class with a strong focus on conversation to identify and fill the important gaps would also be good, and learning a verb and 5-10 words a day can be done anywhere. Stick words on the wall/fridge etc.

Buen Camino!

As said there are many suggestions elsewhere but look up "Coffee Book Espanol" on the Internet for free short (around 15 mins) podcasts. Ideal while travelling or in gym. Presenters are Scottish, but help you learn the vocabulary/expressions.

I absolutely love learning Spanish! I started for the Camino (which I'll be doing next spring), but I've found a lifelong love!

Free resources (easily found on google):

for survival-level tourist Spanish:
Coffee break Spanish (80 15-min podcasts)
Mi Vida loca (BBC interactive video course)
Pimsleur (not free, but available at most public libraries)

For a deeper Spanish (if you want more than tourist Spanish):

Destinos (cheesy telecourse from the early 90s)
notes in Spanish (podcast)
Duolongo (gamified language learning - for basic vocab and grammar)

Regardless of how deep you want to go with Spanish, I recommend finding a skype tutor on italki (about 10$ per hour), or a free language exchange partner (half the time you practice English, half the time you practice Spanish). Language partners only work if you already know some Spanish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Go to myngle, and book Skype lessons. Here's my Spanish teacher:

http://www.myngle.com/users/XIMENAMITZI

She is in LaPaz Bolivia, so her time zone is not that far off mine in the US, and I worked with her before a recent trip to Cuba.

I've worked with several French and Spanish teachers on video Skype. You get one on one conversations on the subjects you wish. You can do standard grammar review, or just talk about whatever is useful to you. I like to send them an itinerary and talk about places we're going. Rather than learning "my uncle has brown hair" I'll send them a picture of a bike, and we'll practice pronouncing all the parts, and describe what tools are needed to fix them.

Our last trip took us near my French teachers house, so he gave us a tour of the town and had us over for dinner.

Destinos (cheesy telecourse from the early 90s)

I got addicted to Destinos. I'd skip the grammar to get to the next episode. When I got to Spain, I wasn't doing very well, and was frustrated that I had not made more progress. Then we had lunch in a bar with a Spanish soap opera on the TV....I could understand the whole thing! I had learned the basics of Spanish soap opera from those videos akkkk.

I did my 1st Camino in April and had your same basic level of Spanish, along with the frustrations of not being able to converse, since returning home in a June, I've started studying in earnest with Fluencia, an on line language class. It's $8/month and great. I am also joining a Spanish conversation class offered at the local tech school. I highly recommend both!

Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got addicted to Destinos. I'd skip the grammar to get to the next episode. When I got to Spain, I wasn't doing very well, and was frustrated that I had not made more progress. Then we had lunch in a bar with a Spanish soap opera on the TV....I could understand the whole thing! I had learned the basics of Spanish soap opera from those videos akkkk.
This made me laugh out loud.

So many great ideas! Thank you all very much. I'll keep you posted on what seems to work. I'm also going to dust off the Rosetta and recommit. I did spend a ridiculous amount of money on the software. Love the Skype lesson idea too. I tried watching Hoy, a Spanish morning show, but felt lost. I'll try the soap opera idea - very funny. :)

A bit more on the Destinos series---It starts off pretty easy, they do a good job of making you think you understand conversational Spanish. It goes to Spain, Argentina, Puerto Rico, Mexico etc which is fun. We did a trip to Puerto Rico, and we visited old San German just because in the show they had to go visit the Abuela to get her thoughts on whether Angel's daughter should marry some sleaze bag. It turned out to be a great tour guide to Puerto Rico!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use a combination of resources LoMas TV paid subscription, SpanishDict.com in particular the "Word of the Day" I subscribe to Yahoo Spain a Dictionary and I speak Spanish to anyone who will listen. I live in southern California so there is no shortage of listeners. And no, I never took it in High School. One last thing, I never use slang.

Duolingo was mispelled in one of the previous posts, http://www.duolingo.com/ web and mobile version
and its simply great language learning tool, can't recomment it enough.

Also I recently fugured out the Google Translate mobile app hat does text and voice translations
in Android version languages can be dowloaded offline

Hope you find it helpfull

The rtve weather forecast is good viewing and listening too (scroll down to 'ver video' photo link). The one about 16.00 is usually about 10 minutes, earlier in the day they are about 2 minutes. If nothing else it helps to get your ears tuned-in to hearing Spanish. We use it to keep 'in tune'.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Once you get to a certain point learning a language, I have found that you really just need to practice... I'd recommend checking your local area for a conversation partner. This would help you gain new skills while building your confidence, and also in the spirit of the peregrino, to help out a fellow human with their own language goals. :)
Buena suerte

Once you get to a certain point learning a language, I have found that you really just need to practice... I'd recommend checking your local area for a conversation partner. This would help you gain new skills while building your confidence, and also in the spirit of the peregrino, to help out a fellow human with their own language goals. :)
Buena suerte

I agree! Practice, practice, practice.

I thought I spoke English well, that is until I came to USA and had to use it. I cannot tell you how many times I ordered food to find myself eating something altogether different to what I thought I had ordered. Sure, I could read and write it just fine, but presented with the variety of speech differences I was fairly lost. I was also astounded when I was not understood lol!! Since I was using perfect grammar right?

I just smiled a lot and laughed at myself quite a bit too. Everyone understood that :)

rosetta stone is okay, but is really expensive! i find that i get bored of it too. i've been trying this for a while and really love it! you should give it a try! Click here!
Hmm, just joined today and the link goes to something called clickbank.net. I wouldn't click on that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back