• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing the camino by wheelchair

summermom

Hi all,

I've been studying the route (looking at videos, etc.), trying to decided what sections I would have to avoid by wheelchair. My mom will be in the wheelchair with me pushing her. We plan to get on the camino at Astorga (250 km to Santiago). I'm hoping to do the trip in 14 days (however, I've given myself 5 extra days in case of issues pushing the chair).

We're hoping to build a modified wheelchair with mountain bike tires which will go over the ground easier.

My question: Is it convenient to hop off the walking trail onto the bike trail (or road) at the dangerous sections? I realize that there is a 5km section that is extremely rocky (making pushing a wheelchair next to impossible). I'm sure there are several other sections that I would have to get off the walking trail.

Does anyone remember the sections (from Astorga to Santiago) that they would suggest I modify or skip? I would hate to have to skip sections of the trip.

My mom can get out of the chair and walk short distances (approx. a quarter of a mile at a time, but nothing more because her knees and feet are bad). As for me, I'm a physical nut with a crazy need for endurance activities ... the nuttier the better. However, I don't want to risk my mom's life ... so I'll skip the dangerous parts (for her)!
Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We've done that section by mountainbike a couple of times. It was all ridable, though a few parts are pretty rough. They are not hard to detour.

The top of the climb to OCebrero offers two options, a trail and a nearly abandonned road. Take the road. The descent to Tricastella is similar-- a really gullied trail, or a smooth road nearby.

There were a few boulderfields in Galicia which were short, and may have been upgraded. There a many little roads around them.

If you get the mtb tires, and maybe a bit of help in the hard spots, you can do it. Good luck.

Maybe someone on this board can give you a really up to date description.

Hi
I have gone over your route in my mind,you have 2 slight problems,both easy to overcome,the first is the climb to O Cebreiro-but if you are fit you could do it,apart from a few loose rocks to begin with, the rest is a hilly path,but there is a road route if you wish to by-pass this.
second is the route down from the Cruz de Ferro,this is steep in places with loose rocks especialy after El ACEBO but as the path keeps crossing the quite road you can avoid the rocks all the way down to Molinaseca.
in many places there is the option of going on fairly quite roads so you should be ok,the cycle paths are the same as the walking ones.
good luck
Ian

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Astorga to Villafranca can be done on the quiet road a few meters from the trail. I would estimate that the distance is about 10 km longer because of curves in the road. You will not be able to use the path in several stretches after El Acebo into Molinaseca. It is narrow, angled rock, or narrow loose, large stones.

From Villafranca, you can travel on quiet roads to O Cebreiro, either by the really quiet roads that go up past La Faba, or Piedrafita do Cebreiro up the road to O Cebreiro. Check a map.

From O Cebreiro, the road is shorter to Triacastela up to about Alto de Poio. The last 200 meters to Alto de Poio is barely passable on foot! From there the road curves a lot into Triacastela, adding some distance.

Triacastela to Sarria through Samos is the recommended route, and gets lots of complaints because it is mostly on the road. The short cut to Sarria might be tough. Go through Samos.

Out of Sarria there are some rock canyons that are hard on bicyclists, but nearby country lanes should be easy to navigate.

From Melide road and path are nearly the same all the way to Santiago.

Get local maps, and you will not have a problem staying close to the path in the tough spots.

With a wheelchair, I would suggest taking a taxi up to O'Cebreiro. It is a tough climb for one person on foot -- I can't imagine pushing a wheelchair up it!!!

You don't want to miss it, as it is a beautiful place. Maybe you could book private lodging there, if you take a taxi.

I did meet a man in a wheelchair on the Camino in 2009. He did most of the pushing himself, with his wife helping in the tough areas. So it is do-able... just don't be afraid to call a taxi if you get tired or into a rough patch.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

It's such a lovely thing that you want to do the camino with your mother. I met one mother/son couple where she couldnt carry anything and he carried all her stuff. They did have their issues but both said that it brought them closer together.

Maybe doing a flatter section of the camino would be an option for you - say from Logrono to Leon and then take a train skipping the mountains. The last 120km were more hilly than I thought they would be but (I assume) do-able. I absolutely loved the flat meseta and even preferred it to the mountains.

There is a book by someone who did the whole camino in a wheelchair (sorry, dont know the name) but if you could find it, it might give you a better idea.

All the best to both of you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I want to thank everyone for helping me. What a great "camino" group! The helpful hints to bypass the rough sections will definitely come in handle. Thank you all for the suggestions.

I checked out the guide and it is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much Ivar for the link!

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and help. This is a once in a lifetime trip for my mom, and she is so excited. Thank you so much for helping us make this possible!! We're going in May 2012, so I'll practise pushing the chair with someone in it through roughly the same terrain that I can expect on the trip. I'll let you all know how it goes next July!

Thank you. A Canuck with a dream!

Leaving Riego de Ambros; the kind of place to avoid.

Attachments

• P5270421.jpg
    P5270421.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,302
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Be sure to take visibility "road" vests/jackets for both you and your mother for the roads. Some are not too busy but the drivers are fast and not looking for people on the road. The vests can be very light if made of netting, as most are. They really do add a bit of safety to the road parts.
Buen Camino.

added: I am taking a net vest that I altered to be able to get over my pack as well as the front on my next Camino. I will feel much better on some of the paved portions. I had to take a couple of roads due to a leg injury in 2010 and decided then that I would take something for visibility next time.

I agree that O Cebreiro with a wheelchair would be incredibly tough, but it also sounds like you're up for an endurance test! I accidentally took the road instead of the path as I missed the turn off at La Faba. The road is steep and winding, and has little shade in places. However there is very little traffic. I rejoined the main walking path just before O Cebreiro at Laguna de Castilla, but I assume you could go the rest of the way up by road. I was exhausted by the time I got to Laguna, but a pint of shandy sorted me out. I don't remember any other obvious resting places on the way up. Buen Camino!

Hi all,

I've been studying the route (looking at videos, etc.), trying to decided what sections I would have to avoid by wheelchair. My mom will be in the wheelchair with me pushing her. We plan to get on the camino at Astorga (250 km to Santiago). I'm hoping to do the trip in 14 days (however, I've given myself 5 extra days in case of issues pushing the chair).

We're hoping to build a modified wheelchair with mountain bike tires which will go over the ground easier.

My question: Is it convenient to hop off the walking trail onto the bike trail (or road) at the dangerous sections? I realize that there is a 5km section that is extremely rocky (making pushing a wheelchair next to impossible). I'm sure there are several other sections that I would have to get off the walking trail.

Does anyone remember the sections (from Astorga to Santiago) that they would suggest I modify or skip? I would hate to have to skip sections of the trip.

My mom can get out of the chair and walk short distances (approx. a quarter of a mile at a time, but nothing more because her knees and feet are bad). As for me, I'm a physical nut with a crazy need for endurance activities ... the nuttier the better. However, I don't want to risk my mom's life ... so I'll skip the dangerous parts (for her)!
Thanks!
Hi if you contact these guys http://illpushyou.com/ I'm sure they will be able to help you. They completed the Camino a few weeks ago. Really lovely guys.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I suggest you check out the following site

http://illpushyou.com

These two guys who have known each other since birth, just completed the camino; one pushing the other in a wheelchair

Last edited:
When I was volunteering in the pilgrims office this past May, I had the honor of writing compostelas for four young Polish women. Three of them took turns pushing the fourth in a wheelchair. They told me that they had arrived with very little information but an abundance of determination and got a tremendous amount of help every night from hospitaleros, bar owners, pilgrims with good guidebooks, etc. I think building in a few extra days for the unexpected, which is always a good idea, is a particularly good idea in your case.

I wish you a wonderful camino with your mom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I suggest that U check this guy's webside out! If he can do the highest mountain in Sweden (last year) and now in this very week will go for the highest i Europe! He is one of three son's to an old neighbour to me! Google translate can be useful when you read this side! Good luck! I wish you all the best! Of course you need different preparations, compared to those who can use their legs, but so what?! ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406047157.735655.jpg

Hi if you contact these guys http://illpushyou.com/ I'm sure they will be able to help you. They completed the Camino a few weeks ago. Really lovely guys.
This thread is from 2011, and the original poster has not visited the Forum since February 2013. Other pilgrims may be helped, but probably not summermom.

I suggest that U check this guy's webside out! If he can do the highest mountain in Sweden (last year) U will manage camino! And now, this very week he will go for the highest i Europe! He is one of three son's to an old neighbour to me! Google translate can be useful when you read his side!
Good luck! I wish you all the best! Of course you need different preparations, compared to those who can use their legs, but so what?!

Www.aronandersson.se

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/han-besteg-kebnekaise--med-rullstol-och-kryckor/

If You start a blog, please send me an email and tell me the adress!
lotta.anvret@gmail.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've spent time teaching and learning a ton from athletes in my local Adaptive Sports Program. I teach skiing. I say, "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING, NOTHING CAN DETER YOU"! Go for it, you'll figure it out I'm sure.... Maybe we'll meet up on the trail.
Ultreya!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back