• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ribadeo to Ferrol

Llew

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Fin 2012, Norte/Ingles 2015, Port/Fin 2022
I am planning to walk Camino del Norte next year but instead of going from Ribadeo to Arzua would like to continue on the coast to Ferrol and then walk the Ingles to Santiago.
Has anyone walked this route? If so what is waymarking like, accommodation etc and is it possible to get maps of the route in Ribadeo or elsewhere.
Any help would be appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Llew

I'm not sure I understand. The Camino Ingles from Ferrol is well waymarked and there is a guide to the route.

However there is no camino route with waymarking from Ribadeo around the coast to Ferrol. From Looking at Google maps I see there are roads along the coast from Ribadeo to Ferrol but there is no pilgrim infrastructure.

Let us know what you decide to do!

John

Hi Johnnie,
Understand the Ingles is well marked and I have a guide for this route.
What I am after is from Ribadeo to Ferrol. Your reply that their is no pilgrim route answers part of my question. The other part is - has anyone walked this route. If so what is accommodation etc like. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Llew said:
Hi Johnnie,
Understand the Ingles is well marked and I have a guide for this route.
What I am after is from Ribadeo to Ferrol. Your reply that their is no pilgrim route answers part of my question. The other part is - has anyone walked this route. If so what is accommodation etc like. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Llew,

Hit this link >> http://goo.gl/maps/O9YsB to see a simple walking route following the coast from Ribadeo west to Ferrol. I enjoy making maps so I did this as a whim. Click on any blue bubble and when a white card appears click search nearby and enter the term accommodation. Red dots will then appear linked to further info. Zoom out with the minus sign to see all tourist accommodation appear along the route.You might do another search for camping, etc. If you are familiar with making Google maps you can easily make your own map like this. If not I'll be happy to tell you how.

Enjoy mapping your planning,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret, Have spent quite a bit of time on this site and it great. A lot of information. Many thanks. One further question. Have you walked this route.
Llew

We found the website for a new route called the Camino del Mar that runs from Ribadeo to Xubia, where it joins the Inglés. There are stages being marked and added to the site as they are completed.
We have no idea of what it is like regarding good signing or infrastructure, but it does sound interesting. You can find it here - http://www.lugocamino.com/camino-del-mar.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tia Valeria,

What a fortuitous find! Thanks for sharing it.

I just looked at that Camino del Mar route website. At the moment there are 9 Stages from Ribadeo to Xubia covered on 9 static maps. However there seems to be no mention of accommodation or other services. Perhaps one way to find such infrastructure would be to trace the Camino del Mar route onto a Google map and then use the Google map "search nearby" tool as I mentioned above.

It will be fun to try this!

MM

We will have to try your map link. It sounds fun. Terry loves maps, so maybe he will be the one to try it out.
As for the Camino del Mar.... another walk and full guide maybe Johnnie?

Hola Llew,
If you have walked this route could you post some details here please, or PM us. We are looking at walking next year and need some info re difficulty of some stages for accomodation, particularly where the route is away from the FEVE. We would expect to split some of the Lugo-Caminos stages and have found some places to stay using Google maps etc but may have to use the FEVE to get to them and then back again to walk next day. First hand knowledge would be really helpful.

We have ordered the Mapas Militar for the area and are waiting for them to arrive.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Valerie try the Spanish Wikiloc site, some people have posted on there details of walking stages from Ribadeo and at the other end people have posted details of the walk from San Andreas de Texido. The gronze site has a link to the albergue which is situated 9 km north of Ferrol, its website has alternate routes to start the Ingles. You could also try contacting the Lugo Amigos they must have scouted the route before doing their little day trips to the north coast, not sure if they marked it while they were walking, but have seen some talk about local authorities being very interested in trying to get official status for it, so marking it could be the build up to that.

Mike

Thanks Mike. As far as we know the route stages were only put on-line once that section was marked with direction signs. We plan to contact the Lugo Amigos and ask about 'habitaciones' etc along the route, especially in the two more remote parts. We have used Gronze before and will also check out the other site you mention. Our maps have arrived so we can plot the route from the info we have so far :)

Hi Valerie,
I am not planning to walk the Norte until May/June 2014 so am as much in the dark as everyone else on this route. Still in 2 minds whether I will go this way or take the usual route from Ribadeo to Santiago direct. If by the time I depart there is a way marked route along the coast I think I would still be inclined to take it. Don't want to be walking on highways or main roads all the way though.
Thanks to all who are posting info on this. Am finding it very helpful.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is the pioneering spirit :)

Ivar has given this new Camino a place of its own on the forum. Thank you Ivar.

mikevasey said:
............ The gronze site has a link to the albergue which is situated 9 km north of Ferrol, ........
If checking the stages of the Camino del Mar as given by the Lugo Amigos then please note that there are 2 places (at least) called Covas. One is 2kms from Viveiro and has accomodation - hostales hotels etc nearby. The other is the one Mike mentions, 9km north west of Ferrol, and is not on the proposed Camino del Mar, as such, but another walk into Ferrol.

Duplicate place names can be very confusing :?

€46,-
A little more research shows accomodation can be found along the first sections of the route, especially where it roughly follows the FEVE, fairly easily. However the latter stages are more of a problem, both for length and accomodation.

The stage to San Andrés de Teixido is 20kms and there are, apparently, 2 bars but no accomodation. Taking a taxi is suggested to Cedeira, a point 12kms further on along the route, with the possibility obviously of returning to walk on. The final section from Porto de Cabo (near Cedeira) there is no food or accomodation for 20kms - to Xubia. Then there is a further 2kms approx to Narón/Neda. So broadly speaking there is no accomodation for at least the final 40 kms.

We will investgate further but currently think we may walk as far as possible before taking the FEVE round to Xubia, to join the Camino Inglés, leaving those younger than ourselves to try the more remote part. We certainly hope to walk as far as Viveiro and maybe beyond to a point near Ortegueira. Time as well as facilities will determine the outcome.

We will not be carrying sleeping bags, tent etc and even the days food will stretch our weight limit so our options are a little more limited than some peoples'.

Hi, Tia,
Looks like another off the beaten path camino is more than a twinkle in your eye. I know you'll keep us informed as you go on with the planning, is this in the works for 2014?

This route sounds like a nice option for people who don't want to leave the coast at Ribadeo on the Norte, though it would mean foregoing the hospitality of Miraz.

And it looks like a beautiful way to extend the Camino Ingles for those who want to walk more than 100 kms.

Have you confirmed that there is in fact signage for this route? Thanks much, buen camino, Laurie

The route is supposed to be fully signed now from Ribadeo to Xubia, in 9 stages. It looks from some of the photos that the sign is a fish and also arrows (blue). Various links posted by Mike here http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/camino-del-mar-f112/topic19275.html

We are looking at the possibility of 2014, to celebrate 45 years of marriage, but no firm plans at the moment.

Part of our planning will be to contact the Lugo Amigos with a few questions, such as signage; accomodation/route updates etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there
I’d like to add some information to this discussion based on my experience this summer of walking a large part of this route (Ribadeo to San Andres de Teixido) My decision was based on enjoying the solitude I was able to get walking the first part of Camino de Norte but the knowledge that as I got closer to Santiago it would get increasingly busy. I was aware of this discussion going on so as I went around I wrote notes and stopped in at accommodation to ask prices etc. I’m happy to put this information (currently on a word document) onto the internet for people to link to but as this is my first ever contribution to a forum I’m at a bit of a loss as to where to do this. So if someone would like to tell me where to post it I will. I had printed off the 9 maps of Camino do Mar and I had the very basic maps that I was able to pick up form tourist information along the way. If I was able to find my way around I can't belive that anyone else couldn't. I saw some yellow arrows pointing the way so it has been waymarked, although no tile markers and I have to say I didn’t follow the arrows for a lot of the sections as I was rather enjoying following the coast and the freedom to find my own way (you can’t get lost if you keep the sea on your right!) on the paths and tracks. If you have Militaty maps with you i'm sure you'd find even better routes than I did. ( I think it's important to remember that before any of us set of on the various Caminos we didn't go for a walk in the countryside by following yellow arrows!) By the time I got to Galicia I was a bit weary of wiggles of the way marked path that would take you to a village, I’m guessing to visit the church, inevitably to find it locked. The Galician coast is so beautiful and always open so I preferred to see that! Having said that I had already walked 500km of “Norte” and had completely made my peace with the National Highways and now enjoy the almost Zen experience of walking on tarmac so also did some sections of main road. I didn't find the traffic unpleasant at the times I was walking at all. Just let me know where I should post my walking notes and details of accommodation and I’ll do it. Should I post it as a blog for example?

Hi there
I’d like to add some information to this discussion based on my experience this summer of walking a large part of this route (Ribadeo to San Andres de Teixido) My decision was based on enjoying the solitude I was able to get walking the first part of Camino de Norte but the knowledge that as I got closer to Santiago it would get increasingly busy. I was aware of this discussion going on so as I went around I wrote notes and stopped in at accommodation to ask prices etc. I’m happy to put this information (currently on a word document) onto the internet for people to link to but as this is my first ever contribution to a forum I’m at a bit of a loss as to where to do this. So if someone would like to tell me where to post it I will. I had printed off the 9 maps of Camino do Mar and I had the very basic maps that I was able to pick up form tourist information along the way. If I was able to find my way around I can't belive that anyone else couldn't. I saw some yellow arrows pointing the way so it has been waymarked, although no tile markers and I have to say I didn’t follow the arrows for a lot of the sections as I was rather enjoying following the coast and the freedom to find my own way (you can’t get lost if you keep the sea on your right!) on the paths and tracks. If you have Militaty maps with you i'm sure you'd find even better routes than I did. ( I think it's important to remember that before any of us set of on the various Caminos we didn't go for a walk in the countryside by following yellow arrows!) By the time I got to Galicia I was a bit weary of wiggles of the way marked path that would take you to a village, I’m guessing to visit the church, inevitably to find it locked. The Galician coast is so beautiful and always open so I preferred to see that! Having said that I had already walked 500km of “Norte” and had completely made my peace with the National Highways and now enjoy the almost Zen experience of walking on tarmac so also did some sections of main road. I didn't find the traffic unpleasant at the times I was walking at all. Just let me know where I should post my walking notes and details of accommodation and I’ll do it. Should I post it as a blog for example?
Hi there,

Maybe you can make a pdf document and put it up as a Camino Resource here?
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/

(Click Add Resource, blue button top right to start...)

Saludos,
Ivar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome 'hotfleece'. That will be really helpful, thank you.

Plans are making progress for 2014, a little later than in other years for various reasons. We are starting a dedicated blog for this Camino, but we don't expect to post much before walking.

Infrastructure seems to be very limited. We will be contacting the Lugo Amigos direct to ask for more info about signing. They seem to have done 'day walks' with a bus pick-up so the stages don't even go from places that have accomodation in some areas. There are also 2 variant routes given between the wiciloc and the Lugo amigos sites, but we have our Mapas Militar so Terry is plotting the route and variants.

If others walk before we do hopefully they will post in this area of the forum, or add a resource as Ivar suggested.

Buen Camino to all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you thinking of walking this route Reb?

I will need to take some time to read it all. I had wondered how to do this. Norte to Ferrol appeals to my sense of adventure. As do a few other less travelled routes. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am intrigued by the route to San Andres de Teixido, yes. I would like to walk it at some point, esp. since spending a day with José Suarez, the former cathedral archaeologist who seems to know the rias better than anyone I ever met. He has a theory about the large number of towns up and down the coast with St. Andrew in their names or as a patron... an early competitor for St. James? They all seem to follow a line, and converge in the same spot. Hmmmm.

That is very interesting Reb. Is there any chance of sending us a PM with the places that have San Andrés along the north coast area - west of Ribadeo?
At least one cathedral (Romanesque on pre-Romanesque foundations) was founded by Anglo-Saxon refugees who had fled from the Vikings.
See Basílica de San Martín de Mondoñedo .
We plan to visit there as we walk next year but it would be good to know something about other churches along the route.

Today is St Andrews Day,patron saint of Scotland. :)

€46,-
That is very interesting Reb. Is there any chance of sending us a PM with the places that have San Andrés along the north coast area - west of Ribadeo?
At least one cathedral (Romanesque on pre-Romanesque foundations) was founded by Anglo-Saxon refugees who had fled from the Vikings.
See Basílica de San Martín de Mondoñedo .
We plan to visit there as we walk next year but it would be good to know something about other churches along the route.

They were not Anglo-Saxon. They were Britons.
After the invasion of Britania by the Anglo-Saxon in V century, most of Britons fled to Wales, Cornwall, and Bretagne, but some of them arrived in nothern Galicia. There, they founded the Briton Churh with capital in Mondoñedo, where a church still remains. There is also a village near Mondoñedo called BRETOÑA with a meaningful name.

There are documents from the Council of Braga (Portugal), year 561, which show the attendance of Bishop Maeloc from the Briton Church of Mondoñedo.

They were not Anglo-Saxon. They were Britons.
After the invasion of Britania by the Anglo-Saxon in V century, most of Britons fled to Wales, Cornwall, and Bretagne, but some of them arrived in nothern Galicia. There, they founded the Briton Churh with capital in Mondoñedo, where a church still remains. There is also a village near Mondoñedo called BRETOÑA with a meaningful name.

There are documents from the Council of Braga (Portugal), year 561, which show the attendance of Bishop Maeloc from the Briton Church of Mondoñedo.
I took this from the website itself, which says 'Anglo-Saxon', however they could have been Britons who came after the Romans left and invaders came to Britain. One difficulty with such names is that 'British' is used to encompass those living in Britain and absorbed over time into the population of Britain. So they could be Britons, or Romano-Britons, fleeing from the Anglo-Saxons, with a later wave of Anglo-Saxons fleeing the Vikings and arriving in an already established community.
Just to add to the confusion we have been referred to as Anglo-Saxons because we are English :).

Where can we read the documents from the Council of Braga please?

Last edited:
Well, I really don't know, i have been checking on Google, and it seems that bishop Maeloc, (or Mailoc) attended also the II Council of Braga (in 572). If you put on Google "obispo Maeloc Concilio de Braga", you´ll see more information.
It is curious that Britons, (or Roman-Britons) fled from Britania after the invasión of Germanic tribes (Anglo-Saxons) and were accepted in Galicia for other Germanic tribe (the Suabians), that ruled Galicia in fifth century.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes it is interesting and there is obviously room for some research before we go, and also what we can learn while we are there. We hope to have a 'rest day' in the area so maybe will find some more information locally.
Terry is wondering if the worship was like the British Celtic church of the time and if there was a link with the Priscillian type of church, which had been banned as heresy. That might explain why they felt 'at home' in the area, which maybe was remote enough to avoid too much attention from the church heirarchy of the time. More research of history :)
Whatever it looks like a beautiful and interesting place to visit on our pilgrimage.

What I have been speculating so far:

Year 500 (more or less) Britons arrived in Galicia.
500-550 Some coexistance of arrianism, priscilianism and Britonic celtic church(?)
550-559 Catholicism conversion of the Suabian Kingdom by King Karriaric
563 Priscilianism (and therefore BCC(?)) is declared heretic in I Council of Braga.
572 Mailoc atended the II Council of Braga as a catholic bishop.

The Suabian Kingdom that included all Galicia had the capital in Braga.

Another speculation:

SANTANDER = SANT ANDER, where ANDER= ANDREW in Basque

Another Saint Andrew vs Saint James?

Thank you, very interesting. We too must explore more.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Greetings from Galicia

550-559 Catholicism conversion of the Suabian Kingdom by King Karriaric

I would suggest that conversion is too strong a word in this regard. There is a lot of physical evidence here in Galicia that the Olde way's continued for quite some time after this date. It was quite common to have a outward manifestation of faith that suited whatever the prevalent conditions of the time warranted, but behind the scenes Suebian hierarchy also continued to practice the Olde ways. There is a lot of physical evidence in the area of the Cannon do Sil, Ourense and just South up to Monforte.

Worth exploring friend.

Peace, Mark

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Mark.
We intend, as you will have seen, to make our Camino along this route next year, hence the interest in its history. Before we get off onto religious discussion can I point you to this blog about Priscillian. The discussion could continue there or by PM here on the forum.

If you have any information about the route as given by the Lugo Amigos, apart from what is given on their website, it would be helpful.
Feliz Navidad

Welcome to the forum Mark.
We intend, as you will have seen, to make our Camino along this route next year, hence the interest in its history. Before we get off onto religious discussion can I point you to this blog about Priscillian. The discussion could continue there or by PM here on the forum.

If you have any information about the route as given by the Lugo Amigos, apart from what is given on their website, it would be helpful.
Feliz Navidad

Greetings TIA and thank you for the welcome.

My post really was intended to open avenues regarding the history of this and the other ancient caminos here. There are many. In no way was I intending to open a religous discussion friends.

I will indeed check out the links you posted. Thank you.

If you need any specific research, photos or help with regard to this route I would be happy to assist as it close by. It is wonderful to see interest here in these older routes in the NW and Galicia many of which predate the Roman era. Heart warming to see this interest.

All the best, happy holidays.
Mark

€46,-
From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

Santander

(SANCTI ANDERII, SANTANDERIENSIS).

This diocese in Spain takes its name not from St. Andrew as some, misled by the sound of the name, believe, but from St. Hemeterius (Santemter, Santenter, Santander), one of the patrons of the city and ancient abbey, the other being St. Celedonius.

If you need any specific research, photos or help with regard to this route I would be happy to assist as it close by. It is wonderful to see interest here in these older routes in the NW and Galicia many of which predate the Roman era. Heart warming to see this interest.

All the best, happy holidays.
Mark
Thank you Mark for this offer. We may be asking for some advice re accomodation, or lack of it, after Ponte Mera. We have only found some very expensive hotels in that area so far but were planning on asking the pension owners about the next stop as we go along. The Lugo Amigos say that there is no accomodation after Ponte Mera and no food either after San Andres de Teixido. If that is so we will probably have to take the FEVE to help us on our way; walking to San Andres and then going back to Ponte Mera and FEVE to Xubia. If there is accomodation, and food, then we can see how we are progressing time wise. Meanwhile our research continues along the earlier sections. So far, so good :)

One thing that might help is if there is a bus service at all from San Andres round the area towards Ferrol which could help us get to and from accomodation in Cedeira etc

Falcon:
Yes, the evolution Santemeter - Santander is the official theory.

Mark:
We know about the Suebians from the toponomy,
They loved spas: Guitiriz (from Witeric), Allariz (Alaric), Mondariz (Mondaric), which still are famous health resorts.
They admired wolves: Gondulfe, Frexulfe, Ulfe, Friolfe, Friol(fe), Gulfariz, etc... with ulfe/olfe/gulf =wolf/wolves.

Saludos y Felices Fiestas

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am planning to walk Camino del Norte next year but instead of going from Ribadeo to Arzua would like to continue on the coast to Ferrol and then walk the Ingles to Santiago.
Has anyone walked this route? If so what is waymarking like, accommodation etc and is it possible to get maps of the route in Ribadeo or elsewhere.
Any help would be appreciated.
Were you able to walk this route successfully?

From his profile it looks as though Llew has changed plans and intends to walk next year (2015). We had planned to walk this year but also had to change to 2015(DV).
Our information so far has come from the Lugo Amigos website and others.
http://www.lugocamino.com/camino-del-mar
http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1956548
http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2711329
http://www.forestman.espacioblog.com
Some of these are blog links so may not go straight to the information.
We have noted that the stages do not start and finish where there is accomodation so it does need some serious homework. Look forward to hearing any plans you make and can share about the route.

Were you able to walk this route successfully?
Unfortunately I was not able to go this year and now planning for 2015. Have not yet decided if I will go the route I was I looking at as it is difficult to get good information. Will examine more over the coming year but now thinking I will stay on the traditional Norte.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.