A group walk

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Chemin de Vézelay
I saw this posted on FB.
https://www.viefrancigene.org/it/re...0-jNXWSOCygGStB1ivxs9O4axE9uJds8opa5T7YyFypLc

At the moment it is only in Italian but will soon be translated in French and English. If you scroll to the end of the message, you’ll see the details of the walk, when it starts, for how long etc.

I have only ever walked alone or with my walking partner but this year, this is quite tempting....
Assuming the Covid crisis has calmed down a bit of course 🙁

I thought it might be of interest to some of you 🙂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Harington

Jul 15, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016
I saw this posted on FB.
https://www.viefrancigene.org/it/re...0-jNXWSOCygGStB1ivxs9O4axE9uJds8opa5T7YyFypLc

At the moment it is only in Italian but will soon be translated in French and English. If you scroll to the end of the message, you’ll see the details of the walk, when it starts, for how long etc.

I have only ever walked alone or with my walking partner but this year, this is quite tempting....
Assuming the Covid crisis has calmed down a bit of course 🙁

I thought it might be of interest to some of you 🙂
There is an English version https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/resource/news/camminata-evento-francigena-road-rome-2021/. If you click top right you can change the language.

Cliff175

Nov 12, 2012
Massachusetts
April / May Camino Frances 2013
Portuguese Camino May of 2014
St. jean to pomplona, - Santander to Oviedo, SAN Salvador to Leon , to Santiago in 2015
2017 March -- VDLP Seville to Santiago
I emailed Association for more information,, I never been on an organized Camino, Id be interested in walking the entire Camino. any ideas on number of people, accommodations , etc ?
Thank You for posting this,
Stay Safe, we'll be walking toward the Light soon,.

Reactions: Ernesto.IT
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
walking every day for the rest of my life
There are quite a few ambitious stages in that lineup - at least there’s a rest day after the 70km Day!!! But there are 50+ and 60+km stages back to back.
Go for it - if you can!

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
2024 Chemin de Vézelay
There are quite a few ambitious stages in that lineup - at least there’s a rest day after the 70km Day!!! But there are 50+ and 60+km stages back to back.
Go for it - if you can!
I haven’t looked at it in detail but I thought it was probably where a boat was involved....
I have been a ‘hardy’ walker (is that a word?) but even in my fittest days I never exceeded 51km. I don’t think this is expected on this trail 😃
In fact it looks quite reasonable as on both my VF we made two days into one.... on many occasions - just because time was at a premium.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
2024 Chemin de Vézelay
The long stages, 38 - 70kms are cycling days, if that's any consolation. And a relay format is proposed. Can a anyone who has walked it explain why the long stages are so long?
I have walked it and there shouldn’t be any unduly long stages. Sometimes we combined two stages (like 17km each) because time was at a premium. But normally it should be around 25 km daily, maybe 30 at a stretch. No more. 🙂

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
2024 Chemin de Vézelay
I emailed Association for more information,, I never been on an organized Camino, Id be interested in walking the entire Camino. any ideas on number of people, accommodations , etc ?
Thank You for posting this,
Stay Safe, we'll be walking toward the Light soon,.
The number of people will be known I guess nearer the day! Who can tell at this early stage?
Should there be many people, I guess accommodation might be a problem, there wasn’t much available when I walked it first - a tent was a bonus 😉
Let’s wait and see 😉

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2018
New Zealand
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
Go for it - if you can!
Yes I saw that too. The other distances seem quite reasonable, I wonder why those particular stages are so long. I have taken part in the Oxfam trailwalk a number of times which is 100km, and the training required to walk that distance (without injury or team members dropping out) is considerable and not for the faint hearted.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
2024 Chemin de Vézelay
Yes I saw that too. The other distances seem quite reasonable, I wonder why those particular stages are so long.
i honestly thing those unduly long stages are a mistake. It cannot be anything else. I have yet to check but I’m pretty sure. 🙂
If I am wrong I will eat my hat 😳😉😱

Last edited:

Kiwi-family

May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
@domigee I think covid must really be affecting you in an unusual way.....until now I have never seen you contemplate walking a busy route with lots of other people!! But off you go....and I'll look forward to the hat-eating video ;-)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Crosby

Mar 11, 2015
St. Louis, Missouri
May (2017) Camino Frances
Very compelling, depending on what the restrictions are for vaccine compliance. For those of us from the US who might like to join time might also be at a premium as we would only have 90 days to complete the walk once we enter Europe from England. Any thoughts from previous walkers? Is 90 days doable once you set foot in France?

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese

Juliana K

Sep 24, 2017
Vancouver BC
In the future:Via Francigena,Mozarabe
It is really tempting me, but it is combined with cycling which I don't want to and I cannot(shame).
Most of the Caminos I have done was alone. I think to join this group,
I will much feel safe but not cycling.
I don't know how Association provide bicycles.????If it just walk, I would like to apply.For within 90days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
2024 Chemin de Vézelay
@domigee I think covid must really be affecting you in an unusual way.....until now I have never seen you contemplate walking a busy route with lots of other people!! But off you go....and I'll look forward to the hat-eating video ;-)
😁
Well, the route itself is not busy, at least not in England nor France. Didn’t meet anyone on it!
The idea of walking with a group.... yes, you may well be right! 😂 This mutating virus combined with Brexit may well have affected me 😂🙃

Kiwi-family

May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
😁
Well, the route itself is not busy, at least not in England nor France. Didn’t meet anyone on it!
The idea of walking with a group.... yes, you may well be right! 😂 This mutating virus combined with Brexit may well have affected me 😂🙃
The route is not busy until you put a big group of people on it - all walking at the same time!!! You won’t recognise it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

cathal Ferris

Feb 20, 2014
Belfast
29th April to May 31 2014
April to May (2015) starting in Burgos on the (27th April 2015) completing in Santiago on the 10th May flights booked from Dublin into Madrid and alsa bus up to Burgos
12th August 2015 Starting at Croagh Patrick Clew Bay to Downpatrick known as Camino Way of St Patrick
Different strokes for different folks kinda met a lot of different people on my camino at various stages the conversation type of walking and where you wish to stop for food along with timetables will most likely decree your walking distance and interests along the way, Buen Camino

MichaelC

Dec 24, 2014
Honolulu, Hawai`i
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
I don't think I'd join a group walk, but I do enjoy studying their itineraries! It helps me plan my own walks. And I think these are good for spreading awareness; my guess is that it will attract a different cross section of folks than would normally walk a camino.

I was intrigued by the rest days between Canterbury and Rome: Arras, Reims, Chanplitte, Besançon, Colle del Gran San Bernardo, Orio Litta (Italy), Gambassi Terme, and Viterbo. They're not all what I would have predicted - at least for the Italian sections most friends have recommended Aosta, Lucca, Siena, and sometimes Viterbo as good rest-days.

The biking sections - long sections in northern France and the Italian rice fields, and short sections along Lake Geneva and northern Tuscany - seem like it would make the whole VF more accessible to those of us without lots of time.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.