• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aaaaargh!

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
First World problem; but I wish pilgrims wouldn't upload Vlogs on YouTube titled 'Coastal Camino' when the content is about the Camino Litoral . .
(Moanng about trivial things is an age thing . . . forgive me🙃)
Buen Camino everyone

A selection of Camino Jewellery
First World problem; but I wish pilgrims wouldn't upload Vlogs on YouTube titled 'Coastal Camino' when the content is about the Camino Litoral . .
First world problems indeed. But then I would be almost certain you are concerned about the Caminho da Costa and Senda Litoral. And if you were really concerned about the cultural appropriateness of any greeting on these routes, it would be 'bom caminho' :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I see the term, "first world problem" from time to time on this forum. Having spent a lot of time in the developing world (i.e. Sub-Saharan Africa), I have come to understand that term is viewed locally as somewhat demeaning. In other words, people who live in Sub-Saharan Africa think that we are calling them third world countries.

First world problems indeed. But then I would be almost certain you are concerned about the Caminho da Costa and Senda Litoral. And if you were really concerned about the cultural appropriateness of any greeting on these routes, it would be 'bom caminho' :)
Didn't realise I had commented on ' cultural appropriateness' on these routes.
Like I said, age can be a problem . . .
Como eu disse, a idade pode ser um problema . . .
Como dije, la edad puede ser un problema . .
😉🤣🤣😉

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I see the term, "first world problem" from time to time on this forum. Having spent a lot of time in the developing world (i.e. Sub-Saharan Africa), I have come to understand that term is viewed locally as somewhat demeaning. In other words, people who live in Sub-Saharan Africa think that we are calling them third world countries.

A very good point @RobertS26. We are living in changing times and I do find it important that we understand that perceptions are changing and we need to adapt our vocabulary.
It must make us even more aware that words do matter and that we need to think how and when to use certain terms and words. As a non native English speaker I am even more aware of this because sometimes I have to search for alternatives ( a good thing ! ) to make my thoughts clear.
I also used " the first world term " here in the past without thinking about it much.

Last edited:
I take on board all the responses and understand your motivation. My post, which was meant to be a bit of fun, seems to have turned into something else entirely different. Apologies if it offended some of you.
It does raise the larger issue of wordology
For example, should we stop referring to ourselves as 'pilgrims' if we walk Caminos for non- religious reasons?- that could be deemed offensive.🤔 . . However, most, if not all, accept the term for what it has become - a name for all those who undertake Caminos.
There is always room for a little give and take. (and a sense if humour 🙂)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
… We are living in changing times and I do find it important that we understand that perceptions are changing and we need to adapt our vocabulary.
I agree and well said @SabsP 🙏

I also used " the first world term " here in the past without thinking about it much.

You and me and a whole lot of others I’m sure.
I doubt there was any ill intent in the OP’s use of the expression. 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
I take on board all the responses and understand your motivation. My post, which was meant to be a bit of fun, seems to have turned into something else entirely different. Apologies if it offended some of you.
For example, should we stop referring to ourselves as 'pilgrims' if we walk Caminos for non- religious reasons?- that could be deemed offensive.🤔 . . However, most, if not all, accept the term for what it has become - a name for all those who undertake Caminos.
Agree with the OP
I am not a pilgrim and have never, I think called myself a pilgrim, yet it’s used for walkers all the time on the Camino.
I just like to walk

I know I should keep out of this thread but I’ve got the right arse this morning so here goes

The op mentioned a coastal Camino/ u tube problem he/she had, yet the first two words of “first world” were honed in on and the members were down on him/her like a ton of bricks (I won’t use the other, more commonly used word)

I am certain the op did not want to be offensive by the “first world” expression but no sooner said, they were cancelled/ ridiculed with one poster saying using age as an excuse was not an excuse at all
well it it can be an ”age” thing and I could probably be arrested for half the things I say but I’m not that stupid that I will say them in certain circumstances
my grandchildren are pretty good at saying “shush Nana, you can’t say that”

However I do sometimes despair that the rubbish that comes from the mouths of generation Z and maybe ABC as well and in no way, shape or form can they be contradicted / debated with and personally I think I’d be afraid to say anything Controversial on this forum because of the replies I might get
Now I just keep to “simple” threads

I know now that I should have kept away from this thread

Replies on a postcard please……..now that is definitely an obsolete expression and ,an “age” expression, often said before internet arrived

A very good point @RobertS26. We are living in changing times and I do find it important that we understand that perceptions are changing and we need to adapt our vocabulary.
It must make us even more aware that words do matter and that we need to think how and when to use certain terms and words. As a non native English speaker I am even more aware of this because sometimes I have to search for alternatives ( a good thing ! ) to make my thoughts clear.
Indeed. My colleague got ‘told off’ at work newly 20 years ago for using the term ‘third world’. It can be hard keeping up with ‘acceptable vocabulary’ especially when you leave the corporate world so it’s good to help each other when/where necessary.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Isint the accepted term these days...under developed countries, not third world!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Makes total sense. Thanks for the education! 🙏🏼

So when making a self deprecating statement like ”first world problem” (And making fun of yourself) instead, you should say “developed world problem.?” Doesn’t quite have the same ring to it, does It?

And the reason behind this is, because if you refer to that there’s a first world, someone who lives in a less developed geographic region, might take offense.? Even though you didn’t actually say the phrase “Third World.”

Ok educated and noted.

Interesting articles IMO.
Interesting article. Thank God for the World Bank (if that’s not too deist). The Fat and Lean could be a bit of a body shaming/sizeist minefield (if that’s not too militaristic a reference).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's a good point. I tend to see the phrase as an acknowledgement of privilege ("I worry about the small stuff because I don't have to worry about the big stuff"). But maybe it would be better to say it like I expressed it in the parentheses.

To get to the initial complaint itself, beyond how it was expressed, I think it is not uncommon for people who are not Camino aficionados to call the Senda Litoral the "Coastal route". They are easily confused by the fact that it is the route that actually follows the coast.

It is indeed a thin line but nevertheless food for thought.
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, I know. The only thing in earnest about my comment was the sarcasm. You really have to be working hard to believe the OP intended to be anything other than self deprecating. That didn’t stop some of the “usual suspects” taking them to task over what, in the scheme of things, was a truly innocuous remark. It now seems to be the mark of this world that we have to either wear the badge of shame or affix it.
Touché on the thin line and food for thought bit definitely a higher form of wit. 👍😀

Last edited:
I think it is important for all of us to be open to correction, especially in things that may intentionally or unintentionally hurt others. My students do call me out when I say something that was maybe considered acceptable in the past, but no longer is now. They do it kindly and I take it an opportunity to learn something about better communication.

I think the overall tone from the OP is that the problem stated may be annoying yet trivial compared to some other greater problems.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, I know. The only thing in earnest about my comment was the sarcasm. You really have to be working hard to believe the OP intended to be anything other than self deprecating. That didn’t stop some of the “usual suspects” taking them to task over what, in the scheme of things, was a truly innocuous remark. It now seems to be the mark of this world that we have to either wear the badge of shame or affix it.
Sorry I am lost with this post (but I am tired!) but I don’t think anyone was critical of the OP, nor should they be, they just offered the view that terminology has moved on, in a helpful and non-emotive way?

Sorry I am lost with this post (but I am tired!) but I don’t think anyone was critical of the OP, nor should they be, they just offered the view that terminology has moved on, in a helpful and non-emotive way?

Thank you. Tired here too so I will leave it with this. But it was an interesting discussion. Not unlike the talks we sometimes have around the kitchentable of an albergue :) .

True, but even though the chosen language of this forum is English, it’s important to remember that we (this forum) are an international community. One person’s choice of words, whether used for humour or with pop culture phrases may be misunderstood by others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There should always be room for humor in life, especially on The Camino. I understand that many walk The Camino for strictly religious reasons, and have every right to do so and not be judged one way or the other for doing so. Those who walk for Spiritual reasons or non religious reasons should not be judged by others as well.
We all walked "The Way"-the same roads, same towns, villages, cities-in our own way, in our own time.
Every one of us found many things that brought a smile to our face, if not outright laughter.
I left The Camino remembering different languages, different nationalities, different foods and drinks but I mostly remember lots of different (and same) laughter. That laughter was not directed AT other pilgrims but TO (including) other pilgrims.
Please, lets look for ways and words to bring us together, not separate us, on The Camino.

Agree with the OP
I am not a pilgrim and have never, I think called myself a pilgrim, yet it’s used for walkers all the time on the Camino.
I just like to walk

I know I should keep out of this thread but I’ve got the right arse this morning so here goes

The op mentioned a coastal Camino/ u tube problem he/she had, yet the first two words of “first world” were honed in on and the members were down on him/her like a ton of bricks (I won’t use the other, more commonly used word)

I am certain the op did not want to be offensive by the “first world” expression but no sooner said, they were cancelled/ ridiculed with one poster saying using age as an excuse was not an excuse at all
well it it can be an ”age” thing and I could probably be arrested for half the things I say but I’m not that stupid that I will say them in certain circumstances
my grandchildren are pretty good at saying “shush Nana, you can’t say that”

However I do sometimes despair that the rubbish that comes from the mouths of generation Z and maybe ABC as well and in no way, shape or form can they be contradicted / debated with and personally I think I’d be afraid to say anything Controversial on this forum because of the replies I might get
Now I just keep to “simple” threads

I know now that I should have kept away from this thread

Replies on a postcard please……..now that is definitely an obsolete expression and ,an “age” expression, often said before internet arrived
you should get a Big postcard--with lots of Happy faces on it. Well said

Can I just point out that first, second and third worlds have a political and not a socio-economic origin.
First World = Western Alliance/NATO
Second World = Soviet Bloc/Warsaw Pact
Third World = non-aligned/everybody else.

When the terms were coined Spain was a Third World country, technically Switzerland still is.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Can I just point out that first, second and third worlds have a political and not a socio-economic origin.

When the terms were coined Spain was a Third World country, technically Switzerland still is.
Very interesting information, Jeff.
Btw, nice to see you on the forum.🙂

Sure but the meaning has changed over time… and I am not an expert here, but didn’t the break up of the Soviet Bloc/USSR render the prior definition redundant? I have always assumed that am no expert!!! I was on the early 20s at the time and not paying too much attention!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is it any wonder I've got too much time on my hands?
It's ticking away with my sanity
I've got too much time on my hands
It's hard to believe such a calamity
I got too much time on my hands
And it's ticking away, ticking away from me
Too much time on my hands
(T-t-t-t-ticking away)
(And I don't know what to do with myself)
(T-t-t-t-ticking away)
(Too much time on my hands)
(Too much time on my)

There is an old Spanish saying that may helps to settle the arguments, thoughts, opinions, etc. that have been expressed on this thread so far:

“No hay palabras mal dichas, sino mal comprendidas.”

Translated it says: “There are no words misspoken, but misunderstood.”

There is an old Spanish saying that may helps to settle the arguments, thoughts, opinions, etc. that have been expressed on this thread so far:

I don’t understand that!

🤣

Can you clarify what you mean please? Serious question? Does it mean anyone can say anything?

Last edited:

Well I get it, but don’t ask me to explain how I get it or we’ll be going around in circles all night!

Please explain as I am confused? As you say ‘you get it’?

Please explain as I am confused
Please explain as I am confused? As you say ‘you get it’? I would very much appreciate your help?
Please explain as I am confused? As you say ‘you get it’? I would very much appreciate your help?
The way I understand it is that someone says something that they don’t mean to be nasty/hurtful/ not politically correct but then others misunderstand what they are saying and react in a ”not so nice knee reaction” way because the misunderstand the intention of the writer

now I am not an eloquent writer or speaker so I am probably getting myself in knots here
Us Irish folk tend to write the way we speak, but I do get what the poster is saying

For heavens sake I am trying to fight my way through James Joyce Ulysses at the moment and I don’t know whether I understand him or not
I read it years ago as well and THOUGHT I understood it but I must have skipped to the last page back then and thought “job done” now I’ve read it and I can tell everyone it was a great book!!

The way I understand it is that someone says something that they don’t mean to be nasty/hurtful/ not politically correct but then others misunderstand what they are saying and react in a ”not so nice knee reaction” way because the misunderstand the intention of the writer

now I am not an eloquent writer or speaker so I am probably getting myself in knots here
Us Irish folk tend to write the way we speak, but I do get what the poster is saying

For heavens sake I am trying to fight my way through James Joyce Ulysses at the moment and I don’t know whether I understand him or not
I read it years ago as well and THOUGHT I understood it but I must have skipped to the last page back then and thought “job done” now I’ve read it and I can tell everyone it was a great book!!
Blimey! The OP used the word ‘first world’! Don’t think anyone has an issue but a kind soul took the time to say that terminology had changed and an alternative phrase was suggested in line with where society is generally at. That’s it!

I wasn’t aware that that Irish folks write the way they speak. I don’t really know what you mean tbh? Does that mean you can write or say anything at all?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To me it does mean that it is quite impossible to have a decent adult discussion here before someone starts to mock my intentions.
So true SabsP I think that was me
Apologies
Somethings I meant but your intention was good and the articles were informative
A few days ago my oldest grandson informed me of some words/ expressions that were once the norm but no longer wanted or accepted by certain members of society
He had been told the “new words” in school
I can tell you, my head was spinning
Again, apologies SabsP

Can I throw a Tinker’s spanner in here while the engines still running?

Developing World. Developing into what? A simulacra of the “developed” world. May the gods forgive us. When they’re finished laughing.

I remember one social worker congratulating me because I appeared to have been assimilated. The Borg hadn’t made it onto everybody’s TV screens at that time…

Blimey! The OP used the word ‘first world’! Don’t think anyone has an issue but a kind soul took the time to say that terminology had changed and an alternative phrases was suggested in line with where society is generally at. That’s it!
So you do understand the quote after all
Well done

€83,-
I am a simple mid-western American and I've no idea what "the Borg" is, and I don't understand that the Irish write how they speak because I thought we all do that; at least I think I do.🤔
I think this is one of those times when where we live, our varying cultures, and often our opinions are formed and come from our own "neck of the woods" and are not always understood across the board by others.
That said, I only understand the quote "to a degree", but it seems my interpretation is a bit different than other replies to it.
I apologize if I am rambling and not making myself clear.
Ok simple question. We go out for dinner tonight with two folks from Tanzania. We get it to an economic discussion. Would you refer to Tanzania as a third world country? Are you comfortable with that?

I used to live in India. I would never have used the term ‘third world’! They would be far too polite to say anything of course but it wouldn’t sit well with me!

Is that really too hard for folks to understand?

PS Chrissy. I have been to USA mid west many times. Folks were smart as anything ! I am sure you are too! Don’t sell yourself short!!

Last edited:
I am a simple mid-western American and I've no idea what "the Borg" is, and I don't understand that the Irish write how they speak because I thought we all do that; at least I think I do.🤔
I think this is one of those times when where we live, our varying cultures, and often our opinions are formed and come from our own "neck of the woods" and are not always understood across the board by others.
That said, I only understand the quote "to a degree", but it seems my interpretation is a bit different than other replies to it.
I apologize if I am rambling and not making myself clear.
Yes, the Borg Collective is a Star Trek thing. It's a race of beings who assimilate everything into a single thinking system. Each individual as a member of the collective knows what every other member knows and they lose their personal identity. "Resistance is futile" is their mantra as the Borg Collective turns you into one of their members...

I know that there a quite a few things posted on here by English speaking members from other lands that I don't really understand and some of them are also posted by people from the United States. I just try to remain open and learn as I go...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok simple question. We go out for dinner tonight with two folks from Tanzania. We get it to an economic discussion. Would you refer to Tanzanian as a third world country? Are you comfortable with that?

I used to live in India. I would never have used the term ‘third world’!
No. Tanzania is a country. It would be extremely rude to suggest to my dinner companions that they came from a subjective part of the planet

€83,-
apologize if I am rambling and not making myself clear.
I wouldn’t be concerned about that Chrissy. A lot of it going around. 😉. When the OP created a thread with a pretty harmless and self deprecating post (albeit using an expression that’s probably past its use by date, as was pointed out early on 🙏) how could he have known that the title would be so apt? I’m with @nycwalking - best to sit this one out. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:

The translation
"There are no words spoken wrongly, but words that are misunderstood"
makes more sense to me. It might to others. Whether I agree with the saying, which I don't, I do think that in this case it is apt.

I agree with @TravellingMan22's observation:
In that context, I find the suggestion that the early flow of the discussion was otherwise a rather strange interpretation. More, as we are a forum that covers several major English dialects, and many more variations within our national versions of English, I do see it as appropriate to be reminded that we might be using words in ways that others could find offensive. Personally, the discussions that ensue from such observations are, in the main, treasures of new information and insights.

So @Frankybaby66, you should take heart that what you started as a bit of fun has resulted in some of us being better informed.

Unfortunately, there will always be some curmudgeons who take delight in criticising others rather than engaging in the discussion. I look forward to the day where they contribute to the topic under discussion rather then the conduct of the other contributors.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Um!

Is the Coastal Camino the same as Camino Litoral?
No, at least not to my understanding. The Portuguese names are Caminho da Costa and Senda Litoral, and while they both follow the general line of the coast after the first day leaving Porto, the Senda Litoral appears to stick closer to the beaches where it can.

There is a major difference between the two on the walk out of Porto. The Senda Litoral follows the river to the coast, whereas the Caminho da Costa initially follows the same route as the Caminho Central through the suburbs before heading to the coast.

There is a major difference between the two on the walk out of Porto. The Senda Litoral follows the river to the coast, whereas the Caminho da Costa initially follows the same route as the Caminho Central through the suburbs before heading to the coast.
I always wondered about that and have been a bit confused. Thanks for clarifying for some of us.

Ok simple question. We go out for dinner tonight with two folks from Tanzania. We get it to an economic discussion. Would you refer to Tanzania as a third world country? Are you comfortable with that?

I used to live in India. I would never have used the term ‘third world’! They would be far too polite to say anything of course but it wouldn’t sit well with me!

Is that really too hard for folks to understand?

PS Chrissy. I have been to USA mid west many times. Folks were smart as anything ! I am sure you are too! Don’t sell yourself short!!
Ah ah Travelling man check out your post No 50
i think you may have misquoted me there
i am not from the mid west of anywhere
As regards the “Irish Speak”
Try reading Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt, a guy from Limerick like myself

i am done with this thread

Travelling man, you asked for my interpretation of the quote and that’s what I gave, yet you keep coming back for more and more

Its getting a bit nasty methinks and as an answer to your question as to whether “I can write or say anything at all”

I think I can do both although I’ve never been a CEO or a member of the corporate world or travelled extensively like your good self as you have reminded us so often on this forum
Best wishes to you
Annette

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Annette, I have read Angela's Ashes, and I have loaned out my book a few times; I always make sure I get it returned back to me. It is a very special account of a time in history.
It is where I lived but a few years after the author
The church mentioned was where we got married and Barrick Hill was where we took a shortcut to school
Malones pub at the bottom of the hill mentioned were our friends and playmates
The Peoples Park was our play area too and where we got up to mischief
Mr Sexton was still the church warden when we got married at St Joseph’s
ahh…so many memories
Next year a sentimental journey shall be undertaken by my sister and myself

Ah ah Travelling man check out your post No 50
i think you may have misquoted me there
i am not from the mid west of anywhere
As regards the “Irish Speak”
Try reading Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt, a guy from Limerick like myself

i am done with this thread

Travelling man, you asked for my interpretation of the quote and that’s what I gave, yet you keep coming back for more and more

Its getting a bit nasty methinks and as an answer to your question as to whether “I can write or say anything at all”

I think I can do both although I’ve never been a CEO or a member of the corporate world or travelled extensively like your good self as you have reminded us so often on this forum
Best wishes to you
Annette
Thanks Annette.

The mid west refers to Chrissy! Sorry if not clear! Typing on phone and it’s has grouped two peoples post! Sorry. It’s just a debate and I have enjoyed engaging. I certainly don’t think you have been nasty to me and I apologise if you think I have been nasty to you. I wasn’t aware of ‘Irish Speak’ so I will try and ‘right that’… both my parents are Irish, albeit my father has passed away. My mother is 90 and yes she does come out with some stuff which makes we wince, (though I don’t think she writes much anymore), and my daughters virtually pass out!! Thankfully she is not in the corporate world It’s just a debate… no more than that. Far more interesting than bedbugs, snoring and bedraces I do try and share travel experiences on here. It’s about all I have to offer as I have no real knowledge or experience of many of the subjects on here. Thank you.

Last edited:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Annette.

The mid west refers to Chrissy! Sorry if not clear! Typing on phone and it’s had grouped two peoples post! Sorry. It’s just a debate and I have enjoyed engaging. I certainly don’t think you have been nasty to me and I apologise if you think I have been nasty to you. I wasn’t aware of ‘Irish Speak’ so I will try and ‘right that’… both my parents are Irish, albeit my father had passed away. My mother is 90 and yes she does come out with some stuff which makes we wince, and my daughters virtually pass out!! Thankfully she is not in the corporate. It’s just a debate… no more than that. Thank you.
Thank you Travelling man for your kind reply
I should Curb my tongue at times
I think I’d get on like a house on fire with your Mum
I like her already
My daughters are the same as yours and now I’ve got the 4 grandsons on my case
and you are right, it’s a debate and I have learned a few things
it’s just that the mouth engages before the brain at times
But thank you again
Annette

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tincantinker
are you a fellow Trekkie?
My sister and myself have watched Star Trek from the beginning
I think we were the first Irish Trekkie fans
I watched so many at times and all in one go is that I thought I was living “on the Bridge” at times
Then came Stargate and I so wanted to pass through that gate …..so much better than the High Street!

Tincantinker
I watched so many at times and all in one go is that I thought I was living “on the Bridge” at times
Then came Stargate and I so wanted to pass through that gate …..so much better than the High Street!
Apparently he is, or how would he have known of the Borg? 😅
I suppose, had I watched a few of the early episodes, I possibly would have become a Trekkie as well.🤔

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There should always be room for humor in life, especially on The Camino. I understand that many walk The Camino for strictly religious reasons, and have every right to do so and not be judged one way or the other for doing so. Those who walk for Spiritual reasons or non religious reasons should not be judged by others as well.
We all walked "The Way"-the same roads, same towns, villages, cities-in our own way, in our own time.
Every one of us found many things that brought a smile to our face, if not outright laughter.
I left The Camino remembering different languages, different nationalities, different foods and drinks but I mostly remember lots of different (and same) laughter. That laughter was not directed AT other pilgrims but TO (including) other pilgrims.
Please, lets look for ways and words to bring us together, not separate us, on The Camino.

Spiritual motives do not preclude humour.

Tincantinker
I’ve never really signed up to anything though I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the evolutions of Star Trek. If you’ve not found it already, and enjoy getting your head bent, try https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwhere_(novel)

I’ve always thought that the Borg, the concept of the hive mind, was a reflection in a mirror of a world that hadn’t even arrived yet but was coming our way at speed. Gaiman’s London below has always been with us but keeps itself in the shade.

Please excuse me for creating some confusion within the thread with my posting.
Some of you did not got the meaning of the saying. The OP of this thread gave the answer (post #9):

The saying refers to when we give a different meaning, intentionally or not, to what someone said with a good intention.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

And let’s not short-change the “fourth estate” or the “fifth column.” :)

He had been told the “new words” in school
When I lived in New York, I had lots of “African-American” friends who almost always used the term “black” and never questioned anyone else using the term. So I found it hard to take seriously the “diversity” videos that my employer required—videos that claimed one must never say “black” and always say “African-American.” (Same videos seemed to suggest that all “Asians” are the same, all “Latins” are the same, all women are the same.)

Can I gently and respectfully request that we bring this discussion back to Camino topics? A bit of digression is fine, and I obviously had no huge problems with this one, since I participated in it, but it appears to be seriously derailing the conversation and this is supposed to be a Camino forum.

Just an observation ...
The OP made a casual comment about a "trivial thing" - people titling videos on YouTube " 'Coastal Camino' when the content is about the Camino Litoral." Having read the entire thread, I don't think a single person addressed the comment. Rather, the OP was criticized for the phrasing, for not using the correct terms for the caminos in question, and even for using the Spanish 'Buen Camino' rather than the Portuguese 'Bon Caminho'.

I rarely post on these forums, partly because it seems that every post must be perfect ...

(@David Tallan: This post may not be about the Camino per se, but it is about peoples' conduct on these forums ... I hope that's sufficiently relevant ... :))

I rarely post on these forums, partly because it seems that every post must be perfect ...
Really!! It's unfortunate that you feel this way. But if you post about the way that members use words, as the OP did, you might expect others to chime in on how words are used, including those in the original post. This was hardly a serious post in the first place, albeit it descended into some virtue signalling pretty quickly.

Just an observation ...
The OP made a casual comment about a "trivial thing" - people titling videos on YouTube " 'Coastal Camino' when the content is about the Camino Litoral." Having read the entire thread, I don't think a single person addressed the comment. Rather, the OP was criticized for the phrasing, for not using the correct terms for the caminos in question, and even for using the Spanish 'Buen Camino' rather than the Portuguese 'Bon Caminho'.

(@David Tallan: This post may not be about the Camino per se, but it is about peoples' conduct on these forums ... I hope that's sufficiently relevant ... :))
I know that a single person addressed that comment. It was me. :)
To get to the initial complaint itself, beyond how it was expressed, I think it is not uncommon for people who are not Camino aficionados to call the Senda Litoral the "Coastal route". They are easily confused by the fact that it is the route that actually follows the coast.
Now can we get back to talking about Caminos?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
wish pilgrims wouldn't upload Vlogs on YouTube titled 'Coastal Camino' when the content is about the Camino Litoral .

Not that many people seem to be interested, but maybe the OP still is.

@Frankybaby, the coastal and the littoral are two crisscrossing lines that frequenty intersect and occasionally overlap. Look at this map of Portuguese caminos. There are two lines along the coast, a red one and a green one. You can’t really blame people, when everyone who walks this way has probably walked some of the coastal and some of the littoral!

Not that many people seem to be interested, but maybe the OP still is.

@Frankybaby, the coastal and the littoral are two crisscrossing lines that frequenty intersect and occasionally overlap. Look at this map of Portuguese caminos. There are two lines along the coast, a red one and a green one. You can’t really blame people, when everyone who walks this way has probably walked some of the coastal and some of the littoral!
Great map, thank you @peregrina2000 - from one who is often confused by the various paths from Porto. I've made a copy of that one.

€83,-
Aside from the Litoral segment out of porto to Vila do Conde, which is universally liked by all pilgrims (including me), which of the other Litoral sections are highly desirable to take vs the official coastal route? I have seen recommendations on multiple threads of a green arrow route between a ramallosa and Vigo, which is not marked on the linked map. any other recommended Litoral sections?

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back