• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Levante/Sureste variant?

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
Trying to work out where to walk next winter, and came up with a camino that apparently goes roughly parallel with the Sureste/Levante from Albacete, via Tomelloso, Alcázar de San Juan, Mora and Toledo, then heads almost due west, to Talavera de la Reina, Navalmoral de la Mata and Plasencia, from where it's easy to join the Vía de la Plata at Cáparra.

There doesn't seem to be much about it on foroperegrrinos.com, or any of the other obvious websites, so I assume the marking is possibly non-existent. Anybody here have any views? Sounds as if it goes through some interesting places and lovely countryside (especially as it nears Extremadura).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If I'm not wrong, that camino was created by José Miguel Burgui Ongay and was the first camino out of Alicante. It was used by very few pilgrims and when the current Sureste was marked in 2002 the route through Talavera de la Reina felt forgotten.

If you want to walk that route, you can find a list with the stages and distances at:

www.xacobeo.fr/ZE3.04.Ali_Burgui.htm

J.M. Burgui wrote a guide in 1997 about a camino from Alicante to Santiago that, if I'm not wrong, follows the route through Talavera de la Reina but I can't confirm it for sure because I didn't read the book. If you want to try to find it: Burgui Ongay, J.M.: Camino de Santiago: Alicante-Santiago, de la Explanada al Obradoiro, guía del peregrino a pie, en bici y a caballo. Alicante, Ayuntamiento de Alicante, 1997. If you don't find it online, you may try to get in touch with him to ask for info. His blog: www.jmburgui.es although it doesn't seem to be updated since 2013... You might ask the Amigos association in Alicante (he founded that association): www.encaminodesdealicante.org where someone might recall the route you plan to walk.

You may also try to get in touch with the Amigos association in Talavera de la Reina to see if they can provide you any updated info: http://caminosantiagotalavera.blogspot.com

What's it called?

Camino Alicantino.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
If I'm not wrong, that camino was created by José Miguel Burgui Ongay and was the first camino out of Alicante. It was used by very few pilgrims and when the current Sureste was marked in 2002 the route through Talavera de la Reina felt forgotten.

If you want to walk that route, you can find a list with the stages and distances at:

www.xacobeo.fr/ZE3.04.Ali_Burgui.htm

J.M. Burgui wrote a guide in 1997 about a camino from Alicante to Santiago that, if I'm not wrong, follows the route through Talavera de la Reina but I can't confirm it for sure because I didn't read the book. If you want to try to find it: Burgui Ongay, J.M.: Camino de Santiago: Alicante-Santiago, de la Explanada al Obradoiro, guía del peregrino a pie, en bici y a caballo. Alicante, Ayuntamiento de Alicante, 1997. If you don't find it online, you may try to get in touch with him to ask for info. His blog: www.jmburgui.es although it doesn't seem to be updated since 2013... You might ask the Amigos association in Alicante (he founded that association): www.encaminodesdealicante.org where someone might recall the route you plan to walk.

You may also try to get in touch with the Amigos association in Talavera de la Reina to see if they can provide you any updated info: http://caminosantiagotalavera.blogspot.com

Camino Alicantino.

Oh, now I see. That's interesting. My first thought was Aaaargh, not another route merging with the Sureste and the Levante already! Imagine them setting up waymarks: they would interfere with the Lana, the Levante, the Sureste... all the way to Toledo. You're right that it's a sibling to the Sureste. When I compare the stages, there are some differencies. Casa Santa instead of Montealegre del Castillo and so on. But it looks nice. I see Pedro Muñoz in there, which is actually visible at one point, a certain hill before El Toboso. It would be good to connect with Carcaboso on VdlPl. But I bet there are no albergues if it's an abandoned route?

/BP

/BP

By the way, I see a stage of 59 kilometers in there. Perhaps that's the reason why it wasn't functional...

By the way, I see a stage of 59 kilometers in there. Perhaps that's the reason why it wasn't functional...
I think the distances given in the xacabeo.fr website need to be regarded with some suspicion. It quotes only 29km from Mora to Toledo, while my mapmywalk.com last year said that Almonacid de Toledo (c10km closer) was over 30km from Toledo. Also, the 59km stage from Navalmoral to Plasencia can be cut by staying in Casteljada and/or Malpartida de Plasencia.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I smile when I read these excited threads about new ways/old ways/different ways. So many helpful pilgrims getting out there , finding out the logistics for those that may wish to follow. (And that is many).
I think how you would have been great support to the 'Christopher Columbus' s or Vasco de Gama's etc.
Please keep posting your ideas.
Annie

Most read last week in this forum

Looking forward to getting back on the Camino de Levante next week. It’s a long and solitary Camino, although I am as far as Zamora now, where it merged with the VDLP and on to the Sanabres. Here...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back