• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Apps - show your appreciation

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Annually - often more - from 2014
Prompted by another recent thread which questioned the value of an app which had few recent reviews might I encourage those with positive experiences of Wisepilgrim (and other) apps to take a few seconds to leave a suitable review wherever you bought it from? It can be as simple as clicking on a ‘star’.

Apps such as WP, Gronze et al cost so little that they are almost free; but they rely on a real human to check and update the data.

I’ve just spent no more than 10 minutes leaving reviews. It may help the developer in the long run. If they were not there I suspect many of us would miss them.

(I have no association whatsoever with any app developer. Mrs HtD wouldn’t approve)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Prompted by another recent thread which questioned the value of an app which had few recent reviews might I encourage those with positive experiences of Wisepilgrim (and other) apps to take a few seconds to leave a suitable review wherever you bought it from? It can be as simple as clicking on a ‘star’.

Apps such as WP, Gronze et al cost so little that they are almost free; but they rely on a real human to check and update the data.

I’ve just spent no more than 10 minutes leaving reviews. It may help the developer in the long run. If they were not there I suspect many of us would miss them.

(I have no association whatsoever with any app developer. Mrs HtD wouldn’t approve)
I have left reviews also. I had bought the bundle that Wise Pilgrim offered about 5 years ago. A steal of a deal. Did the same with Buen Camino. Is there a place to leave a review for Gronze? If there is please let me know where it is.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Talking of apps, can anyone answer the question put to me by someone in the orienteering club I belong to... Most GPS type apps measure distance from point A to point B but do not include the distance walked up a hill and down again between the two points. Example: Pamplona to Estella. How is the actual distance recorded/ measured? Do the satellites only measure in a two dimensional way or do they include the height gain/loss. Could be quite a difference in mileage. If the supposition is correct, is there an app which measures actual distance and not just 2 dimensionally.
I'm sure one of you will know the answer! It is something I had never thought of before.

Is there a place to leave a review for Gronze? If there is please let me know where it is.
Gronze is a website, not an app so no app store to review it in.

Yes, there is a Gronze maps app, but it's still in beta and currently only available in app format for Android. Also, if you do install the maps app it will only work while you are connected to the internet via cellular service or wifi.

Gronze is a website, not an app so no app store to review it in.

Yes, there is a Gronze maps app, but it's still in beta and currently only available in app format for Android. Also, if you do install the maps app it will only work while you are connected to the internet via cellular service or wifi.
Yes I know there is nothing in the app store. I just thought there might be some "camino" type site that may have recommendations. If there is one maybe you would know as you amaze me with the knowledge you have regarding support for pilgrims walking. I could never gather the info you do especially when I am walking I am oblivious to so much besides the natural surroundings and the sounds I hear. The only time I start to perk up to the obvious is when my stomach tells me to eat or my body tells me to rest. The rest of the time I might as well be on Mars. It is amazing I get lost so rarely. Except of course when I walked from Le Puy and spent my entire time in France looking for the GR posts. Having no telephone or even a map and speaking no French made it even more fun. I think that Camino is about 750k. I know I had to add about 75k more wandering aimlessly.:(:);)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes I know there is nothing in the app store. I just thought there might be some "camino" type site that may have recommendations.
I know of one: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/ 😉

But seriously, the best way to support Gronze is probably to click on their links to booking.com. I also mention it fairly often on Camino groups on Facebook.

Do the satellites only measure in a two dimensional way or do they include the height gain/loss. Could be quite a difference in mileage.
Actually there isn't much difference in mileage. Let's use an estimate of the Route Napoleon from SJPdP to the highpoint. About 20,000m horizontally and 1,000m vertically. Sum the squares and take the square root. There is only 25m difference, roughly one in a thousand.

The satellites give information that allows programs to determine elevation and postion after getting information from at least 3 or 4. They do not give position or elevation themselves. While I suppose the programs could factor in elevation in computing distance walked it is much easier to just assume the earth is flat since computing multitudes of hypotenuse won't change the value much. I guess militaries may have the capability to do this but I can't see phone apps having it.

Elevation does get involved in determining walking times which is of more importance to walkers than actual distance. See Naismith's Rule at Wikipedia. This is also why apps may figure out total elevation gain for you instead of adding up the hypotenuse between points.

Actually there isn't much difference in mileage. Let's use an estimate of the Route Napoleon from SJPdP to the highpoint. About 20,000m horizontally and 1,000m vertically. Sum the squares and take the square root. There is only 25m difference, roughly one in a thousand.

The satellites give information that allows programs to determine elevation and postion after getting information from at least 3 or 4. They do not give position or elevation themselves. While I suppose the programs could factor in elevation in computing distance walked it is much easier to just assume the earth is flat since computing multitudes of hypotenuse won't change the value much. I guess militaries may have the capability to do this but I can't see phone apps having it.

Elevation does get involved in determining walking times which is of more importance to walkers than actual distance. See Naismith's Rule at Wikipedia. This is also why apps may figure out total elevation gain for you instead of adding up the hypotenuse between points.
This. Exactly this. The errors introduced when trying to add this calculation is counterproductive.

My method I use is to manually map the gps track, thereby eliminating all stray points and poor satellite readings. There is a point in this process where too many points causes the distance between points to sum to a lower number, and I would rather my distances be ever so slightly higher.

I use the geographic (more or less) centers of small villages, and major structures like cathedrals for big cities. This may cause some distances to not jive with other guides, as they may measure to the entrance of the city… which in the case of many still leaves a few km to go.

I should also add that for anyone comparing a guide distance to a step counter will always find big differences. This is primarily because the guide distances don’t consider your coffee/bathroom/wanderings and those add up quickly.

And then of course I provide an elevation chart and leave it to you and your personal abilities to decide what is strenuous and what is not.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Talking of apps, can anyone answer the question put to me by someone in the orienteering club I belong to... Most GPS type apps measure distance from point A to point B but do not include the distance walked up a hill and down again between the two points. Example: Pamplona to Estella. How is the actual distance recorded/ measured? Do the satellites only measure in a two dimensional way or do they include the height gain/loss. Could be quite a difference in mileage. If the supposition is correct, is there an app which measures actual distance and not just 2 dimensionally.
I'm sure one of you will know the answer! It is something I had never thought of before.
Apologies to HtD for hijacking his thread.... this to an ex surveyor is an interesting question but unfortunately the answer is pretty long winded and in the end comes down to "it depends". TBC

I know of one: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/ 😉

But seriously, the best way to support Gronze is probably to click on their links to booking.com. I also mention it fairly often on Camino groups on Facebook.
Thanks for the tips. I do click on the links from Gronze often.Can't websites receive money if someone redirects to another website from the one they are looking at? I like to check out more photos of the albergues I am thinking of staying in. I heard about that website. Do you think it is any good??? ;)

Done, with pleasure.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

As I walked to Calzadilla de la Cueza today (long straight road), probably prompted by noisy torch-bearing pilgrims who got up at 4:20am (5 o’clock is bad enough, but seriously? We couldn’t leave...
I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
I found this interesting, and thought others might too...
I'm at the airport, suddenly being nostalgic. If you had to choose one sello as your most valuable, why would it be that one? Could be a religious or spiritual experience, the people you met...
Got a notification from my Phone that we started our first Camino 8 years ago today... We accidently left our phone charger and Kindle charger at Orrison along with our euro plug adapter and...
Hi Guys. I plan to walk the Camino (811km) next spring. I need suggestions from pilgrims who have walked and are still walking the Camino this April. How was the weather? Did you have too many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.