• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are there different Compostelas?

D

DavidsRetired

I was recently asked if there were different Compostelas; 1 for people who only do the last 100km and those who walk from SJPdP (+/-). I’m unaware of the answer, but it has made me think, that if there is not, then perhaps it’s an idea for consideration.

So, are there different Compostelas?

And if not, I’d be curious on others view as to this being a viable option or not.

Cheers,
Dave

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Dave,
There is only one compostela. It is for everyone who has completed at least 100 km on foot and who attests that his/her walk was for "spiritual or religious" reasons. If the pilgrim does not fall into one of those two categories, he/she will receive an equally beautiful certificate of welcome. The main difference is that the "certificate of welcome" is not religious, whereas the compostela is -- translation here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...of-the-compostela-from-latin-to-english.6745/

The compostela is available for a donativo contribution, sadly many pilgrims leave nothing.

There is also a "distance certificate" -- this is different than the compostela, has no religious significance and is written in castellano rather than Latin. The pilgrims' office staff will put your name in its non-Latin form, your starting point, the name of the camino you walked, the total kms you walked, etc. In my experience as a volunteer in the pilgrims office a couple of years ago, staff were always willing to defer to the individual's calculation of kms walked, so if you or the servicemen walking this camino have either used a GPS track or have some clear idea of how many kms they have walked, they should make sure to let the office staff know before the office staff enters the number of kms that they have on file for each starting point.

How is preparation going? When will people be embarking? Hoping that plans are all falling into place. (For those who may not know, Dave has raised funds and organized things so that Canadian veterans with PTSD will be able to walk the Camino). https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/an-operational-stress-injury-initiative.34981/

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie; as with anything of this nature, many challenges arise, and this is so far out of my wheel house that it’s rather taxing (sometimes all consuming, as I don’t wish to let anyone down). Having said that, we’ve come a long way, and learned a great deal.

To date we have fundraised 12k, which is a wonderful achievement in itself. I’ll also mention, that some of those funds came from pilgrims on my Camino in Sep/Oct 2015. Several pilgrims heard from others, and literally walked up and presented me with money for this initiative; that took me by surprise and gave me hope on my own camino journey.

The initiative is currently in the application stage and open until 01 May 2016, and soldiers are applying. As we have not reached our necessary funding goal as yet, this is a concern, so I have recently sent out letters to over 25 defence contractors, in the hope that they’ll help in some form, or perhaps sponsor 1 soldier. So far, 3 have declined and I’ve not heard back from the others.

Logistically, we are also reaching out to those agencies, who may be able to help us with travel arrangements and some other issues; so we are hopeful in this regard. Part of that will be about, handling earlier returns and/or injuries and such.

On a positive note, Soldier On Canada has reached out to us, and has offered $1000 dollars per participant for equipment purchases. So I am incredibly pleased about that. Additionally, a Psychologist has offered her services and provided a Pre and Post Questionnaire and will also help us choose candidates.

In essence I am trying to capture as much information as I can, so at the completion of this initiative, we’ll be submitting a project report that will include financial aspects and, with the assistance of the Psychologist Questionnaires, we can present everything that we’ve learned about what sort of individual (soldier) benefits most from completing this journey.

The projected dates are April/May 2017. We hope to have all tickets purchased and the dates finalised by mid to end Sept 2016.

So all in all and despite the personal challenges, which this has presented me, I am committed to making this happen. I’ll also be walking the Camino (at my own expense), as will some others who wish to support the soldiers.

A quick note: we had originally considered a group camino, but have now decided and feel that an individual camino may provide a better personal outcome. What changed in this regard, was when walking in 2015, I saw several groups, but noticed that they all depended on a leader and the rest just following without thought. This does not mean they can’t walk with others, but I am suggesting that they take time to walk by themselves and to meet other pilgrims enroute. Also some of the joys I found, was navigating the Camino myself and how in-tune you become to finding markers and such.

Anyway, we are hopeful it will all come together as planned.

Hope you are well.

Cheers,
Dave

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Dave,
There is only one compostela. It is for everyone who has completed at least 100 km on foot and who attests that his/her walk was for "spiritual or religious" reasons. If the pilgrim does not fall into one of those two categories, he/she will receive an equally beautiful certificate of welcome. The main difference is that the "certificate of welcome" is not religious, whereas the compostela is -- translation here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...of-the-compostela-from-latin-to-english.6745/

The compostela is available for a donativo contribution, sadly many pilgrims leave nothing.

There is also a "distance certificate" -- this is different than the compostela, has no religious significance and is written in castellano rather than Latin. The pilgrims' office staff will put your name in its non-Latin form, your starting point, the name of the camino you walked, the total kms you walked, etc. In my experience as a volunteer in the pilgrims office a couple of years ago, staff were always willing to defer to the individual's calculation of kms walked, so if you or the servicemen walking this camino have either used a GPS track or have some clear idea of how many kms they have walked, they should make sure to let the office staff know before the office staff enters the number of kms that they have on file for each starting point.

How is preparation going? When will people be embarking? Hoping that plans are all falling into place. (For those who may not know, Dave has raised funds and organized things so that Canadian veterans with PTSD will be able to walk the Camino). https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/an-operational-stress-injury-initiative.34981/

Buen camino, Laurie
I'm curious as to how many people opt for the certificate rather than the Compostela. As I'm not going to be walking for religious or spiritual reasons, I suppose that's the way that I'll go. Receiving a Compostela isn't a goal for me. I'm only interested in the experience.

I always check out what others before me fill in on the form at the pilgrim office and when looking at it, my guess is that between 90/95% fill in religious/spiritual.

I am sure for a large majority this is true, but i also do believe a good portion fills this in just to get the compostela.
And i totally get both (i also have both :) ) and they are equally nice.

I'm curious as to how many people opt for the certificate rather than the Compostela. As I'm not going to be walking for religious or spiritual reasons, I suppose that's the way that I'll go. Receiving a Compostela isn't a goal for me. I'm only interested in the experience.
Hi trecile,

What you decide to do is of course your own choice. We all walk the Camino for our own personal reasons.

One thing I would say though is that you may find the experience is truly life changing and you may well feel different about this when you reach the end.

Buen Camino,

Mike

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
technically there is only one, howeevr, when submitting your credencial and if you state that you wlked for 'cultural' reasons, you get the one on the right (see below)compostelas.jpg

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I think Dutch is right -- I don't know percentages, but it is overwhelmingly the case that people want the compostela. When I was volunteering in the office, it was not infrequent that people who come to sign in, who don't know the difference, would say that they had walked the camino for touristic/sporting/other reasons. And then someone behind them would tell them to change that response so they would get the "real" compostela. It seems that the certificate is seen as an inferior substitute, but I think the Cathedral has gone out of its way to make the certificate just as attractive as the compostela. And for the life of me, I do not understand why someone who is not a believer wants a compostela, which describes that person's camino as a religious pilgrimage to a holy place to pray to the Apostle.

There is a Compostela for hiking the last 100 km or riding the last 200 km...more distance is optional but you can also request an official Distance Certificate...there is also a Finisterrana for hiking or riding to Finisterre...and a Muxiana for hiking or riding to Muxia...but I have also read that there is a Half-Way Certificate for hiking or riding the Camino Frances half-way between SJPDP and Santiago...and possibly another certificate if you make it to a particular town near the end of the Camino Frances and cannot physically complete the remaining journey...but you will have to ask the Camino professionals about the last two certificates...I am just a tourist class Camino Pilgrim.

Compostela.jpg Muxiana.jpg Finisterrana.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I asked this question today in a different thread and I am interested to see that you posted these images, @Kurt5280 and @jefferyonthecamino . Just to make sure: the documents dated May and September 2015 that say "perfecto itinere sive pedibus sive equitando post postrema centum milia metrorum, birota vero post ducenta, pietatis causa, devote visitasse" are the proper one and only Compostelas?

Exactly...or an easier way to remember and I identify a Compostela is your full name will be converted to Latin...except my last name was not due to the fact that Amish names do not convert to Latin...and it did not happen in the movie "The Way" either?

I understand the two noted documents, and have both myself. Perhaps I should have rephrased the question, as posed to me.

In summary, it was questioned why the same Compostela, was provided to those who only walk the last 100km, where others walk much greater distances. That’s not to say one’s walk has more spiritual value then the other, based on distance. However, it is worth understanding and perhaps some consideration or dialogue to present two distinguishable compestellas.

Oh, didn’t see Kurt5280 response. So there are separate compostelas? Okay, that’s what I was looking for. Thank you. PS. Is there a link to clarify this?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Different compostelas for different distances? Why? So that it becomes a reward, a medal, a prestige object with bragging rights?

Is that in the spirit of the camino? I cant imagine it is.

Hi Dutch; this was simply a question asked by a friend, and I was looking for a response. I don’t think they had any design on a certificate of achievement per-say, but were trying to understand the certificate process. It’s an honest question.

Different compostelas for different distances? Why? So that it becomes a reward, a medal, a prestige object with bragging rights?

Is that in the spirit of the camino? I cant imagine it is.
Did I miss something? I don't see anything about different Compostela for different distances.

What I do remember was, on my 2nd outing in 2012 or so, people saying that one should ask for the "cultural tourtist" certificate, not tne "religious/spiritual", the Compostela, as the first was much prettier than the Compostela ;). I guess that now that they are both equally pretty people feel they might as well go for the "real" one, after all if they have bused and taxied, kept people up at night while on the phone or barging in the albergue drunk at night and never donated at a donativo why not!? o_O

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And for the life of me, I do not understand why someone who is not a believer wants a compostela, which describes that person's camino as a religious pilgrimage to a holy place to pray to the Apostle.

I have all three. Maybe four, I haven't actually compared them. And I don't always bother if the queue is humongous. I added the Catholic version for completeness.

I have plenty of time for religious people. I'm more of a cultural and spiritual fellow traveller. I have been at that counter and when I received a disappointed look from the volunteer the time I answered 'walking holiday'. My partner at the time saw that and upgraded her venture to make the counterperson's time seem more valued.

She like s the stamps best. There are some lovely designs. I agree with her.

I think Dutch is right -- I don't know percentages, but it is overwhelmingly the case that people want the compostela. When I was volunteering in the office, it was not infrequent that people who come to sign in, who don't know the difference, would say that they had walked the camino for touristic/sporting/other reasons. And then someone behind them would tell them to change that response so they would get the "real" compostela. It seems that the certificate is seen as an inferior substitute, but I think the Cathedral has gone out of its way to make the certificate just as attractive as the compostela. And for the life of me, I do not understand why someone who is not a believer wants a compostela, which describes that person's camino as a religious pilgrimage to a holy place to pray to the Apostle.
Apparently, some of the volunteers will give you a Compestela even if you marked that you walked for cultural reasons, and did not ask for or want a Compestela.
I know this, because I was given a Compestela after my first Camino, despite clearly saying that I did not walk for religious or spiritual reasons. I only discovered this when I compared the certificate I received on my second Camino to the one that I received in the first. They were different, despite the fact that I filled out the form the same way both times.Compestela.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back