Best public transport route from Santiago to Barcelos?

Washie

Apr 2, 2019
Ireland
Time of past OR future Camino
CP Coastal/Central 2019/22/23
CF 2020
Muxia 2023
I have travelled to and from Barcelos from Porto airport but I now want to travel to Barcelos from Santiago de Compostela airport as the flights are much cheaper to there. Any advice on the best route? Rome2Rio has recommended a bus to Santiago de Compostela, then a bus to Braga, then another bus to Barcelos. Alternatively, there is the train to Vigo, then a bus to a different train station in Vigo, then a train to Barcelos. Any advice on either route or a better alternative?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Albertinho

Veteran Member
Jan 4, 2013
The Netherlands
Time of past OR future Camino
Pilgrims Office Volunteer
Both possibilities are o.k.
The train to Vigo and change there for the train to Porto which stops in Barcelos

The ALSA bus from Santiago stops in Braga and from there you could take the bus or the train ( change at a station called Nine)
The bus goes faster than the train because it is more direct.
The train stops everywhere but it is nice to see the Portuguese coastal route from the train windows from Caminha to Viana do Castelo

Reactions: Washie

Most read last week in this forum

I am looking to walk the Camino Portuguese next spring. It seems as though many start in Porto instead of Lisbon. I would like to have a longer Camino — so the question is - what is the Lisbon to...
Has anyone found a spreadsheet planning tool to plan stages for Camino Portugues. I am not sure yet which route I will take but likely to be a mixture. I used one for the Camino Francais which was...
Hi all, I just finished my first Camino. I was on the Portugues route from Porto to Santiago: Coastal till Vila do Conde after that Central till Santiago. I would love to give back some of the...
Hi, I am trying to book at Pilgrims Nest/Ninho and I have a What's App phone number of +351 916 866 372 but no response and I tried calling and it sounds like a bad number. I also had this number...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides