• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino "Bartolome" Gibraltar-Lisbon

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
I know I don't get to decide such things, but From March 1 to May1 2023 we walked an odd route from Gibraltar north to Seville and then Seville west-northwest to Lisbon and then on to Santiago. I'm proposing an informal Camino route name of "Bartolome" - named from one of my favorite NT apostles.
We recorded our GPS for those intrepid folks that might like to follow us. We had a few skips due to health reasons and an injury, but the route is mapped out the whole way.
So what was it like?
The Camino Serrano (Gibraltar to Seville) is somewhat well marked and there were sufficient lodging options although no Albergues of course. The trip over the Sierra Nevada and through the Valley of the Vultures was challenging and beautiful.
From Seville we went one stage on the VdlP and then cut west northwest up and into the Sierra Morena. This lower, but much longer chain proved fascinating. We were, of course, the only pilgrims around and most people we spoke with were excited about supporting our trip. There was little interaction in English in these small villages, but our limited Spanish was sufficient for most scenarios. The food focused on wild boar and mushrooms and was very tasty.
We crossed the Portuguese border at Rosal de la Frontera and everything changed - In Pias, Portugal we were greeted with excitement, great conversation, and great wine. The next week was a repeat - a very supportive population. We made it to within 3 days of Lisbon when we had a medical emergency that diverted us via ambulance to Evora (fascinating town). We took a train from there to Lisbon to make up the time.
From Lisbon North is well covered in other forums.
As mentioned, the GPS is available as is a VERY large collection of lodging options from my research. We VLOGGED our journey at Rock2Santiago.com if anyone is interested in pictures and commentary.

Enjoy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.