• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid and coffee

DTCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Madrid 2023
In reading Sharpy’s and David’s posts on the Madrid I’m getting concerned that one of my favorite parts of the Camino may be in jeopardy; my morning cafe con leche.
For those that have done it, were you able to have one daily and if so did it require late morning starts to have coffee where you slept, or did you find it on the way???

I may bring a coil and a cup depending on the feedback…

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In reading Sharpy’s and David’s posts on the Madrid I’m getting concerned that one of my favorite parts of the Camino may be in jeopardy; my morning cafe con leche.
For those that have done it, were you able to have one daily and if so did it require late morning starts to have coffee where you slept, or did you find it on the way???

I may bring a coil and a cup depending on the feedback…
There is always a bar in each little town. They all sale coffee ☕

Coffee is important!!!

There were definitely some days when there was no coffee first thing in the morning. If you need your caffeine first thing, you might want to carry a coil or instant! But there is coffee somewhere each day!

The day over the mountain to Segovia, I knew there would be no coffee when I left, so the night before I bought one of the now ubiquitous cans of cold coffee that you can get in stores. Definitely not ideal! But it was caffeine and then the proper coffee in Segovia in the afternoon was all the better.

The biggest surprise was leaving Segovia on a Saturday - maybe around 8:00 - and not finding any coffee in the city. Nor was there any coffee in the first village you come to up the hill (where the bar opens late on Saturdays. I think I was there around 9:00). But - a nice surprise - there is a small coffee stall in a park in Valseca. People on the street showed me where to go - it is about 5 minutes off the camino. Coffee was really good and the people there were very friendly (someone bought my coffee for me). It is on google maps -- Chiringuito Valseca in the Parque Municipal.

Santa Maria - first coffee was in the hostal Avanto where I stayed. Second coffee in Nava. Nothing was open on a Sunday morning in Santa Maria itself. It might be different on weekdays.
Coca - first coffee at the bar where you return the key. Second coffee not available until the end of the day's walk in Alcazaren.
No coffee in the morning in Alcazaren. First coffee in Valdestilla, where there are at least two bars.
Puento Duero you will be able to get coffee in the albergue. There was also coffee in Ciguñuela.
Penaflor, for me, was a bust in terms of dinner and coffee. No food in town (no shop) except a bag of chips available at the one bar (of two) that was open when I was there (I think it was a wednesday). No shop. No coffee the next morning.
Excellent first coffee after Penaflor in Castromonte (but no food).
In Valverde de Campos (after Castromonte) - there is a bar that is open in the morning, but only for a few hours....However, there is a man, who works for the village, who will come and open the bar for you - if he sees you! I was sitting on a bench in a square across the way, eating my lunch, and he came and asked if I would like to have something to drink at the bar. Super nice. The bar is also a small shop.

Medina - lots of coffee!
After Medina - There is apparently a bar in Tamariz, but it was not open when I walked by.

Cuenca - good bar/restaurant in afternoons -- not open first thing in the morning. There will be coffee available in the albergue in the morning when you leave. And Villalon is only about an hour away with lots of bars.

Santervas - there will be coffee at the albergue in the morning. After Santervas there is a tiny pueblo where there is a bar -- it was not open when I walked by - but there was someone there cleaning and she asked me if I wanted a coffee. :) Next option would be Grajal. Or just keep going another hour to Sahagun.

The day of the week makes a real difference. Three days in a row I ended up in villages on the days that their bars were closed. My advice: don't start your walk on a Tuesday! (if you are doing the standard etapas) :)

Coffee addict here. When I'm doing less traveled Caminos where services are limited I pick up coffee-to-go the night before. If you're fussy about your coffee being hot this won't work. If you're like me and not picky about how you get your fix it's a way around coffee scarcity.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had no problem finding coffee - but I also took my own instant
Coffee is important!!!

There were definitely some days when there was no coffee first thing in the morning. If you need your caffeine first thing, you might want to carry a coil or instant! But there is coffee somewhere each day!

The day over the mountain to Segovia, I knew there would be no coffee when I left, so the night before I bought one of the now ubiquitous cans of cold coffee that you can get in stores. Definitely not ideal! But it was caffeine and then the proper coffee in Segovia in the afternoon was all the better.

The biggest surprise was leaving Segovia on a Saturday - maybe around 8:00 - and not finding any coffee in the city. Nor was there any coffee in the first village you come to up the hill (where the bar opens late on Saturdays. I think I was there around 9:00). But - a nice surprise - there is a small coffee stall in a park in Valseca. People on the street showed me where to go - it is about 5 minutes off the camino. Coffee was really good and the people there were very friendly (someone bought my coffee for me). It is on google maps -- Chiringuito Valseca in the Parque Municipal.

Santa Maria - first coffee was in the hostal Avanto where I stayed. Second coffee in Nava. Nothing was open on a Sunday morning in Santa Maria itself. It might be different on weekdays.
Coca - first coffee at the bar where you return the key. Second coffee not available until the end of the day's walk in Alcazaren.
No coffee in the morning in Alcazaren. First coffee in Valdestilla, where there are at least two bars.
Puento Duero you will be able to get coffee in the albergue. There was also coffee in Ciguñuela.
Penaflor, for me, was a bust in terms of dinner and coffee. No food in town (no shop) except a bag of chips available at the one bar (of two) that was open when I was there (I think it was a wednesday). No shop. No coffee the next morning.
Excellent first coffee after Penaflor in Castromonte (but no food).
In Valverde de Campos (after Castromonte) - there is a bar that is open in the morning, but only for a few hours....However, there is a man, who works for the village, who will come and open the bar for you - if he sees you! I was sitting on a bench in a square across the way, eating my lunch, and he came and asked if I would like to have something to drink at the bar. Super nice. The bar is also a small shop.

Medina - lots of coffee!
After Medina - There is apparently a bar in Tamariz, but it was not open when I walked by.

Cuenca - good bar/restaurant in afternoons -- not open first thing in the morning. There will be coffee available in the albergue in the morning when you leave. And Villalon is only about an hour away with lots of bars.

Santervas - there will be coffee at the albergue in the morning. After Santervas there is a tiny pueblo where there is a bar -- it was not open when I walked by - but there was someone there cleaning and she asked me if I wanted a coffee. :) Next option would be Grajal. Or just keep going another hour to Sahagun.

The day of the week makes a real difference. Three days in a row I ended up in villages on the days that their bars were closed. My advice: don't start your walk on a Tuesday! (if you are doing the standard etapas) :)
That’s what I’m looking for! Thanks to you (and others) for the detailed information! Having always done the Frances coffee always was available within a hour or two, and it wasn’t until Sharpys posts I realized the Madrid might be different. Sounds like I’ll be fine and I’ll carry a few packets of instant for the sections that have no services.

That’s what I’m looking for! Thanks to you (and others) for the detailed information! Having always done the Frances coffee always was available within a hour or two, and it wasn’t until Sharpys posts I realized the Madrid might be different. Sounds like I’ll be fine and I’ll carry a few packets of instant for the sections that have no services.
The occasional absence of coffee isn’t the only point of difference between the C.Madrid and the Frances; but I think you will get far more out of the Madrid. Just prepare yourself for the culture-shock in Sahagun,

There is always a bar in each little town. They all sale coffee ☕
Unfortunately this isn't so on the Camino Madrid and even if there is a bar then it is often closed during the morning, during the day and sometimes they are only open on Friday night and the weekend.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back