Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in early March

raverider

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (2015)
Hi All,
first post - here's to many more!

My plan is to walk the Primitivo from Oviedo from the 1st of March this year. My reading so far suggests that I should be prepared for cold and wet weather, with lots of mud, which fine. What I cannot get a good feel however is the availability of albergues along the way, and how easily I will be able to buy food and drink (i.e. grocery stores as opposed to cafes and restaurants) at this time of year.

Also, I understand this is a less popular route than the Frances, however I am assuming that in early March I won't be entirely alone.

Any help and comments appreciated!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi raverider, welcome to the forum!

The Primitivo is one of my favorite routes, but I've only walked it in early summer and early fall. The cathedral's statistics, if I'm reading them right, show that 39 people who got their compostela in March 2014 started in Oviedo. That suggests you won't be running into too many people. I think jpflavin walked in April a year or two ago, so you should look for some of his posts. I know some of the private albergues, like Ponte Ferreira, close at some point, but I think there are enough municipal albergues and pensiones to ensure that you'll always find a bed.

Since grocery stores are there for the residents as well as the pilgrims, I'd be surprised if any of them close in the off-season. There just aren't enough pilgrims on the Primitivo to support its own commercial infrastructure.

If I look at some of the stages I posted, I see that I almost always stayed in municipal albergues, which don't close, and I know that several more have popped up since then.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-camino-primitivo.4841/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/back-from-the-primitivo-june-2012.14728/

ebrandt on the forum has done a masterful job of pulling together all sorts of nuts and bolts info for anyone walking the Primitivo -- you can see it here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tiago-and-then-to-muxia-finisterre-guide.225/

There are lots of Primitivo aficionados here on the forum, so you can be pretty sure that any questions will get a variety of responses! Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi All,

My plan is to walk the Primitivo from Oviedo from the 1st of March this year. My reading so far suggests that I should be prepared for cold and wet weather, with lots of mud, which fine. What I cannot get a good feel however is the availability of albergues along the way, and how easily I will be able to buy food and drink (i.e. grocery stores as opposed to cafes and restaurants) at this time of year.

Also, I understand this is a less popular route than the Frances, however I am assuming that in early March I won't be entirely alone.

Raverider -- I have not walked the Primitivo yet, but I live in the mountains of Idaho. That makes me worry about snow possibilities in the mountains on March 1. I moved to Idaho from Ohio and have learned the hard way how weather can catch you unawares when you are in the mountains! I have no idea whether its a concern for the Primitivo at this time of year. The lower elevations (Oviedo and the coast) seem to be warmed up into the 50s during the day on average, I just wanted to suggest that you check out the weather in the mountains! Buen Camino! Liz

As peregrina says it is a lovely route. Shops are there for the locals, but not everywhere has a shop. If you check out the various guides you will see where you may have to buy food for the next day. Also the weather as ebrandt says could be snow. If it below 2000 mts then some of the high passes can be affected. You can check the forecast for a few days ahead on 'Aemet' roll over the map and check Asturias and Lugo. If the snow level is down to 700mts then much of the Camino will be affected. I suggest that you listen to local advice and also build in an extra day or two in case you have to wait for the weather to clear.
Buen Camino

Thank you for all the excellent info! I will keep an eye on the weather leading up the walk. I am living in Berlin at the moment and the winter here certainly seems to be very mild; maybe this will be a trend for greater Europe this year.
Going by the Aemet website the current snow line in the region is at around 1700m, but obviously anything can happen between now and March.
I have built in enough time to take it easy, and am also keeping the option open of doing the Norte as a backup.

Again, than you for the time you all took to answer. I will post more questions (and answers where I can) in the near future.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, if you are in Berlin and have time this evening, you might be interested in this: https://pilgerforumberlin.wordpress...9-15-uhr-christine-als-frau-allein-unterwegs/ Perhaps the theme of the evening isn't actually what you are looking for, but there is always enough 'chat time' during eating where you could ask other pilgrims specific questions or simply just meet up with like minded people. I am setting out towards Berlin shortly, would be great meeting you there! SY

Hi, if you are in Berlin and have time this evening, you might be interested in this: https://pilgerforumberlin.wordpress...9-15-uhr-christine-als-frau-allein-unterwegs/ Perhaps the theme of the evening isn't actually what you are looking for, but there is always enough 'chat time' during eating where you could ask other pilgrims specific questions or simply just meet up with like minded people. I am setting out towards Berlin shortly, would be great meeting you there! SY

Thanks SYates! If I manage to finish work early enough, I will check it out. I am sure there would be lots to learn either way. I noticed they hold regular pilgrim's get-togethers, so will definitely keep an eye on upcoming events. Maybe I will see you there :)

Hi All,

Raverider:

I walked this route in early April after walking the Salvador. In my opinion, there were adequate facilities along the way though some may have opened in April. You can expect the possibility of snow in higher elevations and lots of muddy trails. That said, there could be an early drier Spring.

It is a beautiful walk and there will be contrasting lush valleys and snow capped mountains to your South. I saw few walkers but there was usually someone everywhere I stayed.

Ultreia,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Raverider,

My planning is Camino Primitivo medioMarch - 10 April with folding bike, the experts advice me to do the Camino del Norte. Because rain en snow possibility is much higher at the Primitivo. Camino del Norte from Oviedo - Ribadeo is coast route (+/- 200 Km) with warm sea water and wind from the Gulf of Biskaje. From Ribadeo you go left to Santiago (+/- 150 Km) with much more mountains. The Primitivo is from the beginning up and down, mountains rain and snow. But it is the most beautiful track. I agree the winter is mild. Several years ago (March) I was in Allicante in the backyard and it was 20 degrees Celcius. Let we plan and pray!

Buen camino

Tikky

Hello Raverider,

My planning is Camino Primitivo medioMarch - 10 April with folding bike, the experts advice me to do the Camino del Norte. Because rain en snow possibility is much higher at the Primitivo. Camino del Norte from Oviedo - Ribadeo is coast route (+/- 200 Km) with warm sea water and wind from the Gulf of Biskaje. From Ribadeo you go left to Santiago (+/- 150 Km) with much more mountains. The Primitivo is from the beginning up and down, mountains rain and snow. But it is the most beautiful track. I agree the winter is mild. Several years ago (March) I was in Allicante in the backyard and it was 20 degrees Celcius. Let we plan and pray!

Buen camino

Tikky

Sounds like a fantastic trip Tikky. Is your plan regarding the folding bike to carry the bike where you are not able to ride?

Yes, also walking and sleep in my tent, where there is no alberques!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Zona de Berducedo esta misma mañana.

Berducedo area this morning.

ScreenHunter_01Jan161101_zps82479501.jpg

ScreenHunter_02Jan161101_zps187c4244.jpg

ScreenHunter_03Jan161101_zps70583282.jpg

Wow! Well at least it is winter somewhere :) Here's hoping it will have melted and dried out (at least partially) by March. I will definitely make sure I have a solid backup plan though. Although I do walk around in the snow a fair bit here, I don't think long distances in the countryside would be terribly safe/enjoyable.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sigue nevando. No me extrañaría que en los puertos haya zonas con dos metros de nieve.

Still snowing. Would not surprise me at ports have areas with two feet of snow.

ScreenHunter_26%20Feb.%2006%2015.03_zpstkaxlkcv.jpg

ScreenHunter_27%20Feb.%2006%2015.03_zpskw4y3osc.jpg
Hola Angulero. 'Puerto(s)' has more than one meaning in English. o_O:confused: Port/mountain pass. Here it is the pass(es) that have snow. :)
Thank you for all the photos

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for all the photos Angulero. I might start looking into Plan B a little closer, although I will wait right up until the start of the trip to make my decision.
If I do decide to do the Primitivo, it looks like my journey will include either lots of snow or lots of mud. Or both.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Han cambiado el vídeo, ahora sale en el minuto 6 aproximadamente.

They have changed the video, now goes about 6 minutes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What I thought was fascinating about the video was the fact that these snow plowing crews are spending days and days to shovel out towns with a handful of residents -- in one case, three! Spain's countryside may be suffering from extreme depopulation, but the government sure seems to do its best to make it possible for you to stay there.
Buen camino, Laurie

Hi All,

Hi raverider,

I am planning to walk the Camino Primitivo in couple of weeks, starting 16th March. According to your posts you were planning to start on 1st March, which is today. Have you gone as planned? If yes, how is it in terms of weather? I must confess, I am a bit skeptical doing it in March as there is so little info about it, but at the same time I feel like I want to take on the challenge. Since completing Camino Francese beginning of July last year, I can not get the whole experience out of my head and need to go walking at the earliest opportunity. Yes, I NEED to :) It is going to be cold, I know, but I just want to go walking. So, if I know that there are people doing it in March, perhaps I will feel less anxious. Hope you are doing it now and hope all is going well for you! Please, let me know and Buen Camino! Good luck!
Karolina

Haven't actually decided yet, but been thinking of doing the same... round that time
Mid March-ish
Weather & gear the only concern...
Doesn't seem to be too much info out there, but perhaps enough all the same
One way or the other, at some point you just gotta start walking

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We are doing el primitivo, mid march, weather allowing as well, starting in Oviedo ending in Compostela.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...
We are arriving in Madrid on May 5th. I went online today to purchase train tickets to Oviedo and it doesn't show any train service. Does that mean the trains are sold out? Or maybe some other...
Hi, has anyone walked the Primitivo in mid-October? What was it like? Weather, tracks and accommodation? I plan to walk from Oviedo to Lugo only, then bus to Santiago after. Thanks for your input.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back