Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cheap Lodging

barryg

May 3, 2018
Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello!

I am wondering how much I should allow for lodging. I have heard everything from free lodging to 40 Euros per night (which is much too steep for me!). I don't need a bed. I can sleep anywhere. a hard floor is fine. Are there situations where I might be able to sleep in a church or courtyard or whatever? I have a light sleeping bag, but I read that there is absolutely no camping on the Camino. Any advice you may offer as to how to obtain inexpensive lodging would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Barry

Reactions: Miki Goldie
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Aug 19, 2008
Los Angeles for now. Next?
CF: 2001, 02, 04, 14. Ourense to Santiago 2019.
Look for albergues deemed donativo. That does not mean free, but pay-what-you-can.

Also, average price is about 10 euro a night. And, bypass restaurants and cook at albergues and purchase food at supermercados. That will save a few euro.

Buen camino.

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Sep 19, 2011
brooktondale, ny
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
You can also wash laundry in the sink for free, or join up with someone to wash a load so you can split the price.

When you get to an albergue ask how much a bed is. You can always ask if there is a cheaper albergue nearby. Most are about 10 Euros/bed. The big albergue near the cathedral in Burgos was 5 euro/bed. Municipal, parochial, and donativos will be the least expensive. But do pay what you can at donativos!

Stay at a place with a kitchen-- join up with others who are cooking too. Check the kitchen for left over pasta etc. People don't want to pack extra food, and sometimes leave stuff. Usually there is salt, and olive oil.

If dinner is included it will be about 12 euros more. Breakfast 4 more.

Buen Camino-

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Oct 15, 2012
Santiago de Compostela
egeria.house
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
If you go to the resources section of this forum and download the All Albergues List it will give you the prices for all each albergue plus a bunch of other, useful information. Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Feb 14, 2017
Northern California
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
5€ to 10€ a night for a bed, though we did meet a few sleeping under the stars (which means avoiding authorities, having sanitation issues, etc). Pilgrim menu or Menu del Dia (usually 10€) is a big enough meal for the whole day, but even small towns have stores where you can make a meal for under 3€ (tuna, olives, bread, fruit/veggies.). We averaged 25€ a day each at a comfortable lifestyle, but easily could have done it for half that if we avoided restaurants and bars.

Reactions: Miki Goldie

barryg

May 3, 2018
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
If you go to the resources section of this forum and download the All Albergues List it will give you the prices for all each albergue plus a bunch of other, useful information. Buen Camino, SY

Fantastic information! Thanks! I just downloaded the list.

Barry

Reactions: SYates
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides