• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Connecting with other peregrinos

arobes

Time of past OR future Camino
future - Portuguese route May 2022
Hello! I am doing the Porto to Santiago route mostly along the coast in May 2022. What is the best way to connect with others who will be there at the same time but not in the same group? Young adult looking for fellow travelers to have some companionship for part of the journey. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I haven't walked this route, but I expect that you will be presented with numerous opportunities through the day when you walk. This might start with leaving in the morning at the same time as other pilgrims, and walking with them for a while if they maintain the same pace. If they pass you or you them, then they are not walking at the same pace, and other than sharing a greeting, or the prospect that one or other of you slow down, there isn't going to be much prospect for a longer 'connection'.

The next opportunity is going to be when you stop for a coffee/snack/meal during the day. Here you might find other solo pilgrims willing to chat for a while, and you might even decide to walk together. Or if you are both heading to the same place, making arrangements to meet at the end of the day for a drink or a meal.

My experience is that there are opportunities during the evening in albergues as well to engage, particularly if there is a communal meal or a common area where people congregate.

As an aside, a group might welcome you if you make the effort, but don't expect that to happen just because you try and attach yourself to them.

After my first camino, where the person I started with walked much faster than me as it turned out, I have always mentally prepared myself to walk alone, and walking in company has always been a welcome addition to the experience.

Doug's suggestions are good. In particular, leaving with other pilgrims first thing in the morning is a good opportunity. I don't know what your plans were for accommodation, but staying in albergues (as distinct from private rooms), at least a night or two early in the Camino, might be helpful for feeling a part of a loose group.

Here is a thread that will have more tips.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! I am doing the Porto to Santiago route mostly along the coast in May 2022. What is the best way to connect with others who will be there at the same time but not in the same group? Young adult looking for fellow travelers to have some companionship for part of the journey. :)
I'm planning on being on multiple camino routes this spring. Will be on the coastal Portuguese trail from Baiona from May 14th through May 20th (the day I'm to arrive at Santiago). Probably too old to keep up with you, but if our paths cross for a few minutes, nice to say hi to a fellow poster from this board!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
G'Day, I walked the Costal route in May 2017, from Lisbon. The Boardwalk is amazing. I didn't encounter many Pilgrims, until I got closer to Santiago. I met far more of the French Way from St Jean PdeP.
Bein Camino.

I walked alone from Porto to Santiago and was happy to do so. However some evenings there were others staying in the same hostel/ auberge and their company was appreciated. During the day I sometimes came across others and enjoyed a snack and a drink before continuing. Each to his/her own BOM/ Buen Camino! Next year I hope to walk the Norte (From San Sabastian) and will, again, be alone. One of the important things is to have the opportunity to think
/ reflect and enjoy the experience.

Covid willing I will be starting out at Porto around 14 May, young at heart but 63 years of age by then.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Perhaps stay at municipal alburges that cater to pilgrims on a tighter budget.

I did the Portuguese inland route in 2019. Not alone. I found it was very easy to meet and walk with other pilgrims. In fact I walked with two fellow pilgrims for several stages and then met up with others with whom we shared several meals. I found friendship and companionship on both Caminos I’ve done to be the easiest thing. Why? You’re travelling in the same direction, roughly the same pace usually, to the same destination and walking for roughly the same reasons. In my view, you needn’t worry too much. You’ll meet up with as many as you desire.
PS: Pilgrims at your many stops will usually be easy to spot, and they’ll spot you too. Most are very welcoming.
Edit. Here’s the two buddies I walked with and got to know well and respect so much. One from the UK and the other from Australia. Would love to see them again!
1ADF9692-145F-4089-9389-EDC56CDD538F.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi!
Posted this before on another thread

Walking the Portuguese Coastal,Senda Litoral and Variente Espiritual were my first Camino route in Sept 2021!
I stayed in hotels and private accommodation you will have no probs meeting people on your Camino!
So don't worry; if you get on with someone you can arrange to meet up with them later for a meal or to walk the next day if convenient .
On my first day i met a lady after walking less than 800mtres ;who had been walking for 6 weeks so had loads to talk about.
Each day the Camino will provide new opportunities for you;and some will surprise!
I walked on three consecutive days with different young women for most of the day.
One from Vienna called SABINE,the second from Berlin called SABINE and the last from Hamburg called SABINA!!!! (weird)

There was only one day on my whole Camino where i didn't encounter another pilgrim and that was on the Senda Littoral!
I met and walked with wonderful people that made the Camino so much more than i had hoped for and the generosity of spirit and kindness shown to me was boundless.
Have fun.
Woody

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good morning aro
That sounds like a great camino. I read your post and wanted to encourage you about meeting others on your camino. When I did my camino norte in 2017 I started from irun all alone. The very 1st night I ended having dinner with 3 Canadians! Great company but they were walking a bit to fast for me for us to camino together for long.
Next I met some Interesting French men. 1 spoke perfect English but his friend didn't and he explained that he wasn't that friendly toward foreigners? I felt like telling him he is welcome for his iPhone he is so fond of created by a "foreigner" Hello we are both foreigners here in Spain. My point is you will easily meet many people during your camino. That part is certain. Will you find like minded and similar walking partners? That part is a little more uncertain. I'm from California and at the time I was 62. After about 1 week of solo trecking I stayed at a very fun alberge that conveniently had a bar next door. I invited a few pilgrims to come share a beer and before I knew it we had a group of about 8 people gathered around sharing blisters and photos😂.
My point is allow things to happen organically. Yes during my week alone I was lonely and at times a bit sad as I'm a people person. Also an insurance agent for 40 years.but the alone time was needed for me I can see now. Some excellent times of reflection and contemplation. Walking without a care along the coast of northern Spain. I had to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming. Once I became quite comfortable walking my entire camino alone I met 8 very interesting walking companions. We stayed together for the rest of my 3 week journey. Still friends 4 years later though we live all over the world.
This pilgrimage has a life of its own. If you begin it, prepare the best you can then let it happen and be present with journey. I wish you an amazing buen camino😉

As a geriatric (74years old)! walked Porto to Santiago last year and had NO problems. I walked early morning 'til about 13;30/ 14:00 then stopped, looked for a place to stay. Then rested & explored the area and enjoyed where I was. I met several walkers en-route and enjoyed their company for the evening. Am looking forward to next year! Buen/Bom Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Bag is packed, weather forecast looks like rain, but we've got our waterproofs at the ready! My partner and I fly into Porto tomorrow evening, then we'll spend the night in Matosinhos and start...
Greetings from Porto! It is absolutely gorgeous here today and I am sorely tempted to linger a few days to enjoy it all … but the Way awaits and I plan to start walking from Matosinhos on Sunday...
We are going to walk from Porto - Santiago from September 11th-28. What is the weather like? How busy is it at that time?
We are ariving in Porto on May 27th. We want to forward a suitcase to Santiago directly so we have other clothes post our Camino. Could any one please recommend luggage services that will ship...
How low must tides be to prevent boat crossings from caminha to A Guarda?
Thanks everyone for all your kindness and good wishes on the intro thread I posted a couple of days back! As promised, here's a report from our journey so far... Day 1: Matosinhos - Vila do Conde...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back