• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experiences from my coastal Portugues Camino 2024 with my son

sommerjule

Hi everyone,
I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here.

We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started March 13 in Póvoa de Varzim and finished in Vila Nova de Conde March 22. It was more to try out walking together than a „full“ pilgrimage.

We did short stages between 10-15 km daily, with some detours.
I booked all accommodation before, because when was walking last year on the Camino Central in April, the albergues and private places would fill up quickly and I wanted us to be able to take our time. None of the places we stayed at was full in March, while we were there this year. Still, I enjoyed the safety of the pre-booking.

Of all the accommodations, I can highly recommend CMB guesthouse in Apúlia. Very nice clean room, rooftop terrace, kitchen to use and with breakfast for 40 euros for two persons.
IMG_2743.jpeg

The week that we walked, the weather was great. My son really enjoyed the parts of the Camino along the beach and spent time playing on the beach, so we were really slow, which was fine. It is different than walking alone, of course, because I adapted to his rhythm of walking instead of at my own pace.
959C066E-196F-4668-8413-CA6C22ECD544.jpeg

On the warmer days (25degrees and more) my son would heat up really quickly. So it was good that we had not too many kilometers to walk and could take a lot of breaks.
IMG_2766.jpeg

The infrastructure is, as many here wrote before, really good. If there was no cafe, there was a supermarket where we could find food and cold drinks. the picture above is from the parking lot at the church at Castelo da Neiva, (the only place with shade). We did a short detour to a supermarket for emergency ice tea and crips ;-)

We both enjoyed the great Portuguese pastry at the many cafes along the way. And the friendliness of the Portuguese people. My son got to try out some of English that he learns at school.

Overall, walking together was a great experience and we might come back when he is a littler older and do the full way or the rest of the way that we did not walk this year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a great adventure to have created and shared with your young lad👍. Time well spent in making memories that will last, thank you for the recounting.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone,
I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here.

We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started March 13 in Póvoa de Varzim and finished in Vila Nova de Conde March 22. It was more to try out walking together than a „full“ pilgrimage.

We did short stages between 10-15 km daily, with some detours.
I booked all accommodation before, because when was walking last year on the Camino Central in April, the albergues and private places would fill up quickly and I wanted us to be able to take our time. None of the places we stayed at was full in March, while we were there this year. Still, I enjoyed the safety of the pre-booking.

Of all the accommodations, I can highly recommend CMB guesthouse in Apúlia. Very nice clean room, rooftop terrace, kitchen to use and with breakfast for 40 euros for two persons.
View attachment 167849

The week that we walked, the weather was great. My son really enjoyed the parts of the Camino along the beach and spent time playing on the beach, so we were really slow, which was fine. It is different than walking alone, of course, because I adapted to his rhythm of walking instead of at my own pace.
View attachment 167848

On the warmer days (25degrees and more) my son would heat up really quickly. So it was good that we had not too many kilometers to walk and could take a lot of breaks.
View attachment 167850

The infrastructure is, as many here wrote before, really good. If there was no cafe, there was a supermarket where we could find food and cold drinks. the picture above is from the parking lot at the church at Castelo da Neiva, (the only place with shade). We did a short detour to a supermarket for emergency ice tea and crips ;-)

We both enjoyed the great Portuguese pastry at the many cafes along the way. And the friendliness of the Portuguese people. My son got to try out some of English that he learns at school.

Overall, walking together was a great experience and we might come back when he is a littler older and do the full way or the rest of the way that we did not walk this year.
Awww I LOVED reading this. I’m taking my 9yo daughter and hoping for some down time and reconnection and just being together. You are making me feel as though my shorter stages are the smart move! We each are bringing a journal to draw and write and packing picnic blanket (aka Turkish towel) for us to sit and ponder while we take walking breaks. Thanks for sharing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Awww I LOVED reading this. I’m taking my 9yo daughter and hoping for some down time and reconnection and just being together. You are making me feel as though my shorter stages are the smart move! We each are bringing a journal to draw and write and packing picnic blanket (aka Turkish towel) for us to sit and ponder while we take walking breaks. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks.
I think the journal is a great idea. My son would have loved to draw during the Camino but unfortunately he broke his wrist a week before we went on Camino.

I am sure you will have a great time together with your daughter. For me, at least, and for my son also, it was really good to have some „quieter“ time together , because we have a really busy family / work / school life at home.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back