• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally a camino tattoo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I went to a tattoo fair today totally unplanned. Came home with a tattoo to remember all my caminos. I’m thinking of adding more shells (one for each Camino by a different artist and maybe style) on different places of the body.View attachment 157437
Looks great ! I am planning one at some point but can’t decide on design!

I went to a tattoo fair today totally unplanned. Came home with a tattoo to remember all my caminos. I’m thinking of adding more shells (one for each Camino by a different artist and maybe style) on different places of the body.View attachment 157437
Hi Beatrice,
Lovely tatt! I'm interested in how/why you decided on the direction of the shell?
Happy trails.
👣🌏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Beatrice,
Lovely tatt! I'm interested in how/why you decided on the direction of the shell?
Happy trails.
👣🌏
Oh good question, we tested out different directions but this one looked the best when holding my arm down. And I also prefer the “all the rays leads to SdC” symbolism (the non Galician way) so when I look at it when I hold my arm in front of me it points towards Santiago. But others prefer to have the hinge towards them self.

Hola - I thought about getting one when I completed the cycle camino in 2015 and then one for walking in 2017. Now I just can't be bothered. But well done B!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Think seriously before you get a tattoo. Tattooing is bad for your health because it introduces heavy metals into your body. It's very difficult to get rid of them afterwards.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had mine done in SdC. I was so excited once it was done, I love it. A permanent souvenir. The tattoo studio (Ethan Clay) has a number of different designs and has a discount for pilgrims.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpeg
    IMG_1338.jpeg
    882.8 KB · Views: 39
Love your tattoo, Beatrice! Great place to have it on your wrist, so you can see it all the time.
Here's mine, on my upper arm.

Attachments

• 20231002_215055.jpg
    20231002_215055.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
I love it! I’m in SdC now. I just finished walking yesterday. I’m here until Nov. 3rd so I want a tattoo before I fly home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had mine done in SdC. I was so excited once it was done, I love it. A permanent souvenir. The tattoo studio (Ethan Clay) has a number of different designs and has a discount for pilgrims.
Nice.

Think seriously before you get a tattoo. Tattooing is bad for your health because it introduces heavy metals into your body. It's very difficult to get rid of them afterwards.
While this used to be true, for the most part, it is no longer so. A well-chosen artist is only going to use inks specially made for tattooing, and without heavy metals in them. Those with allergies to things in general are advised to stay away from red pigments because they can cause an ongoing inflammatory auto-immune response at the site.
There is recent bio-chem and paleo-genetics research that shows that ancient tattooing and traditional tattooing practices had the effect of increasing overall auto-immune effiency.
A recent-ish article in the Atlantic discussed the potential for frequent tattooing to offer ongoing heightened immune responses. Data are not all in..l and studies will go on forever, but in a world in which we breathe in heavy metals every day and “forever chemicals” invade our bodies via the flame retardenets in our furnishings etc., I am not going to worry about tattoos.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Nice one - definitely a keeper!!!
I got one in St. Jean and it was BAD!!! I got it covered up as soon as I got home. Will get a better quality one… 🤪

Very brave and beautiful. It will remind you of the your accomplishments, and perhaps inspire others as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
IMG20231008091311.jpg
Got mine in 2018 after completing the VdlP.
As I get older (now 68) & slower I'm thinking of a snail for the opposite arm?

Wow - have you seen how many tattoos are out there these day - will be a lot of unhealthy people going forward - by the way my dad got tattoos age 16 - He is 88 and still going strong. Don’t think OP needs to worry too much 😂

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We got our tattoos in Porto at Spider Tatoos.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
View attachment 157808
Got mine in 2018 after completing the VdlP.
As I get older (now 68) & slower I'm thinking of a snail for the opposite arm?
It can be a remember that even the slowest gets to their destination at one point so no need to stop walking.
Wow - have you seen how many tattoos are out there these day - will be a lot of unhealthy people going forward - by the way my dad got tattoos age 16 - He is 88 and still going strong. Don’t think OP needs to worry too much 😂
It was not even my first tattoo either but I assume the answer was not directed to me as I already got the tattoo. I can agree that you should think before you get one as it will always be there, but few people makes a tattoo on a whim (unless drunk). And the Swedish Medicine Agency did test tattoo colours and found that a lot of them still contained undeclared substances or above allowed limits https://www.lakemedelsverket.se/sv/...ingsfarger-pa-den-svenska--marknaden-20222023 and that could post a health risk but studies are also showing signs of health benefits.
So it is always good to know the risks and what you should think to ask before you get one (for instance get info about the colour that will be used).

Nice one - definitely a keeper!!!
I got one in St. Jean and it was BAD!!! I got it covered up as soon as I got home. Will get a better quality one… 🤪
Oh no not fun to get a bad one. I decided not to get one on the Camino I guess that it why it took me 10 years from my first Camino and an additional 7 caminos before I got it 😀

Wish you luck with your next one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got mine in honor of the way marker in Navarette. Love it.

Attachments

• IMG_2694.jpeg
    IMG_2694.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0656.jpeg
    IMG_0656.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
I went to a tattoo fair today totally unplanned. Came home with a tattoo to remember all my caminos. I’m thinking of adding more shells (one for each Camino by a different artist and maybe style) on different places of the body.
Great idea to mark your Caminos !
Tattoo's are much safer now than when i had my first over 50 years ago;although i don't think they have done much to reduce the pain🤣
I got this last month (Segrado Corazon Tattoos) the other is from 2021 the good bit is the price was the same two years apart!!!

Attachments

• CAMINO TATTOO SEPT 23.jpg
    CAMINO TATTOO SEPT 23.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 13
  • CAMINO TATTOO OCT 21.jpg
    CAMINO TATTOO OCT 21.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 21
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great idea to mark your Caminos !
Tattoo's are much safer now than when i had my first over 50 years ago;although i don't think they have done much to reduce the pain🤣
I got this last month (Segrado Corazon Tattoos) the other is from 2021 the good bit is the price was the same two years apart!!!

Nice. I’m lucky to be very pain tolerant. It is not even near some other things woman need to endure once a month.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.