• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally Back Walking!

Time of past OR future Camino
I have been pretty silent on the forum this past winter -- its been a tough one! My husband Tom had neck and elbow issues that stopped the first stage of our California Mission Walk last November and I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the beginning of January. I am happy to report that we are both doing well. Tom had some minor surgery to address some of the pain he was having. and we understand what was happening and how to manage it. I have come through on the other side of my cancer treatment. Two surgeries and radiation therapy (no chemo required) and I am finally starting to feel back to my old self.

Thanks to advice from Kanga and others, we purchased an Aarn pack for Tom to minimize the weight on his shoulders. Today was our first test walk with it fully loaded and things went great.

Because of all the medical stuff, we don't have a European trip planned. But we are returning to California in a week to continue our California Mission Walk. Then in July we are walking the AVON39 Walk to End Breast Cancer with our kids and my sister. The AVON39 is a 39 mile walk in two days -- 26 on day 1 and 13 on day 2.

We are planning to walk the Haervejen in Denmark next summer and also have signed up to serve as hospitaleros at Gaucelmo with our intrepid co-hospitalera, Elaine, next summer.

If you want to know more about our health and plans, you can read about them on our blog, Footloose and Tuition Free at https://lizb82657.wordpress.com/

Liz

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tough one, indeed, Liz. Glad to hear your health issues are improving. Thanks for the update and all the best in your future ventures. Will you continue with the California missions? That seems such an amazing journey. Buen Camino to both of you, wherever you may walk.

Thanks Bala. We plan to walk the Mission walk in stages. After this summer I think our next stage will be Thanksgiving 2016. We'll probably have to stick to shorter stages until retirement! We're teachers and walking in the summer heat of Southern CA doesn't seem fun! Liz

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been pretty silent on the forum this past winter -- its been a tough one! My husband Tom had neck and elbow issues that stopped the first stage of our California Mission Walk last November and I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the beginning of January. I am happy to report that we are both doing well. Tom had some minor surgery to address some of the pain he was having. and we understand what was happening and how to manage it. I have come through on the other side of my cancer treatment. Two surgeries and radiation therapy (no chemo required) and I am finally starting to feel back to my old self.

Thanks to advice from Kanga and others, we purchased an Aarn pack for Tom to minimize the weight on his shoulders. Today was our first test walk with it fully loaded and things went great.

Because of all the medical stuff, we don't have a European trip planned. But we are returning to California in a week to continue our California Mission Walk. Then in July we are walking the AVON39 Walk to End Breast Cancer with our kids and my sister. The AVON39 is a 39 mile walk in two days -- 26 on day 1 and 13 on day 2.

We are planning to walk the Haervejen in Denmark next summer and also have signed up to serve as hospitaleros at Gaucelmo with our intrepid co-hospitalera, Elaine, next summer.

If you want to know more about our health and plans, you can read about them on our blog, Footloose and Tuition Free at https://lizb82657.wordpress.com/

Liz

I'm so glad to hear you are both doing well. It sounds like you have a great plan mapped out too!

Buen Camino!

Buen Camino Liz! I used your guide for the Primitivo this May and it was great! Thank you!
Petro

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back