First time on Camino, is the route doable?

Nicolehastwodog

May 5, 2024
León
Time of past OR future Camino
20th May 2024
Hi there, I am Nicole. I will start my trip from Villar de Mazarife on 20th May 2024, ends in Ponferrada.
It will be my first time ever to hike on camino and I will be hiking alone. I have planned the route as below, could anyone give me any suggestion or feedback on this route?

20th: Villar de Mazarife - Hospital de Órbigo
21st: Hospital de Órbigo - Astorga
22nd-23rd: Explore Astorga
23rd-24th: Astorga - Castrillo de los Polvazares - Rabanal del Camino
24th-25th: Rabanal de Camino - Foncebadón - Cruz de Ferro - El Acebo
25th-26th:El Acebo - Riego de Ambrós - Molinaseca - Ponferrada
26th-27th: Explore Ponferrada

I have some questions:
1. Is Astorga worthy of 2-days stay?
2. I really like small towns like Molinaseca and Riego de Ambrós, but I only have 7 days to hike and not sure if I can squeeze an overnight stay. Any advice?

I will appreciate a lot if someone could answer my questions : ) Buen Camino!

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: chinacat
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
It is only 17km from Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga. Assuming you start reasonably early you should comfortably be there by lunchtime. Astorga is a pleasant town but it is not large and its main sights are very close together. You could probably spend a whole day there very pleasantly but an afternoon and evening might well be enough.

Aug 29, 2017
Plan to walk Comino 2020
Hi there, I am Nicole. I will start my trip from Villar de Mazarife on 20th May 2024, ends in Ponferrada.
It will be my first time ever to hike on camino and I will be hiking alone. I have planned the route as below, could anyone give me any suggestion or feedback on this route?

22nd-23rd: Explore Astorga
23rd-24th: Astorga - Castrillo de los Polvazares - Rabanal del Camino
24th-25th: Rabanal de Camino - Foncebadón - Cruz de Ferro - El Acebo
25th-26th:El Acebo - Riego de Ambrós - Molinaseca - Ponferrada

I have some questions:
1. Is Astorga worthy of 2-days stay?
2. I really like small towns like Molinaseca and Riego de Ambrós, but I only have 7 days to hike and not sure if I can squeeze an overnight stay. Any advice?

I will appreciate a lot if someone could answer my questions : ) Buen Camino!
I agree. Astorga is pleasant but if your on a tight schedule you can see everything in an afternoon and early evening.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Nicolehastwodog

May 5, 2024
León
20th May 2024
It is only 17km from Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga. Assuming you start reasonably early you should comfortably be there by lunchtime. Astorga is a pleasant town but it is not large and its main sights are very close together. You could probably spend a whole day there very pleasantly but an afternoon and evening might well be enough.
Hi Bradypus, thank you so much! I will cut it to one day in Astorga then spend a night at Molinaseca or Riego de Ambrós since many people mentioned the downhill to Molinaseca might be a challenge on the forum.

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: Bradypus

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
Hi Bradypus, thank you so much! I will cut it to one day in Astorga then spend a night at Molinaseca or Riego de Ambrós since many people mentioned the downhill to Molinaseca might be a challenge on the forum.
A wise choice I think. The path down to Molinaseca is very tricky. Especially if wet or icy. Worth considering walking down the road if it is wet. You should get a feel for it quite quickly and make your decision.

Nicolehastwodog

May 5, 2024
León
20th May 2024
A wise choice I think. The path down to Molinaseca is very tricky. Especially if wet or icy. Worth considering walking down the road if it is wet. You should get a feel for it quite quickly and make your decision.
Thank you again! May I add one more question? Are there any other nice villages or stop-by recommend?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
Thank you again! May I add one more question? Are there any other nice villages or stop-by recommend?
Apart from Ponferrada which is a large city you will see almost all that there is of the little villages as you pass through them. If you are staying in Rabanal then I would visit the church there - for the night prayers with the monks if you can. Apart from that I would just enjoy the scenery rather than looking for anything in particular.

Nicolehastwodog

May 5, 2024
León
20th May 2024
Apart from Ponferrada which is a large city you will see almost all that there is of the little villages as you pass through them. If you are staying in Rabanal then I would visit the church there - for the night prayers with the monks if you can. Apart from that I would just enjoy the scenery rather than looking for anything in particular.
Sounds like a plan! I really appreciate for your prompt reply and information : )

Sheesh

Sep 13, 2007
Canada
2009, 2013, 2022
I really enjoy Astorga but, agreeing with the advice you have received thus far, you should be able to see it's sites within one day and then use that extra day to slowly wend your way down the mountain. It is a tough path, especially if wet, so take your time and walking poles will really help.

Aslo, double check the opening times for the Templar Castle in Ponferrada. When I was there in the fall 2022 it was closed on Mondays.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Nicolehastwodog

May 5, 2024
León
20th May 2024
I really enjoy Astorga but, agreeing with the advise you have received thus far, you should be able to see it's sites within one day and then use that extra day to slowly wend your way down the mountain. It is a tough path, especially if wet, so take your time and walking poles will really help.

Aslo, double check the opening times for the Templar Castle in Ponferrada. When I was there in the fall 2022 it was closed on Mondays.
Thank you Sheesh! I'm going to change my route to:

22nd-23rd: Astorga - Castrillo de los Polvazares - Rabanal del Camino
23rd-24th: Rabanal de Camino - Foncebadón - Cruz de Ferro - El Acebo
24th-25th:El Acebo - Riego de Ambrós - Molinaseca
25th-26th: - Riego de Ambrós or Molinaseca - Ponferrada

I will visit the castle on Sunday since they still close it on Mondays : )

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Nicolehastwodog

May 5, 2024
León
20th May 2024
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Nicolehastwodog

May 5, 2024
León
20th May 2024

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Reactions: Nicolehastwodog

Sheesh

Sep 13, 2007
Canada
2009, 2013, 2022
Sorry for another question. Do you think 2 days in Ponferrada is too much? I'm thinking if I should stay 2 days in Molinaseca or stay final 2 days in Ponferrada.

Personally I tend not to do full rest days but, if needed, shorter days of say 10-14 km, starting a little later and ending earlier in the day. I may take a full day off in one of the larger cities, such as Burgos or Leon, possibly Logrono, but that is on a longer camino. On a week-long journey such as yours, perhaps shorter days are the key and taking your time during the day to reach your destination.

I have not taken a day off in any of the cities/towns along your itinerary. Maybe another Forum member will be along shortly to provide more input

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Nicolehastwodog

May 5, 2024
León
20th May 2024
Personally I tend not to do full rest days but, if needed, shorter days of say 10-14 km, starting a little later and ending earlier in the day. I may take a full day off in one of the larger cities, such as Burgos or Leon, possibly Logrono, but that is on a longer camino. On a week-long journey such as yours, perhaps shorter days are the key and taking your time during the day to reach your destination.

I have not taken a day off in any of the cities/towns along your itinerary. Maybe another Forum member will be along shortly to provide more input
Thank you so much again! I'm also a bit worried that I will be burnt out with walking full day for 6, 7 days. I'm considering stay at a place for 2 days before reaching Ponferrada to recharge.

WGroleau

Wandering Weirdo aka 伟思礼
Nov 23, 2015
2015–2018 (partial)
It’s possible, but a better question might be, is it recommended? I walked 66 kilometers one day, but I wouldn’t recommend it!

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides