Lost & Found (Found) Lost my credit card between Larrasoaña and Pamplona

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
F

Former member 92300

Good luck reuniting with it! This is one of my fears of my daughter travelling alone a month after me - she seems to always be losing stuff like this - it makes me so nervous! Especially if she loses her card after I had home (there will be an overlap where we are both somewhere in Spain).

ELHS220

Jul 10, 2012
Massachusetts
Time of past OR future Camino
Last: FRANCÉS-2023
If possible, take two or more different cards and keep them in separate places. For me, one in my wallet, another in my day pack, and a third in my big pack (I use the transport service).

Also, I have a duplicate copy of my ATM card and keep them separate. The account is the same but, if one is lost, no one else would likely be able to use it because a PIN is required.

I have never understood why a PIN is not required for a credit card purchase. At most gasoline stations, you have to enter your billing address zip code. But, anywhere else, no ID is required. Maybe I am missing something here, but it doesn’t seem to make sense.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

ranthr

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2008
Finnmark, Norway
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Since I was robbed on the train from the airport in Barcelona on the way home from my second camino in 2007, I have sewn an inner pocket into all my trousers. There I keep some euros, an extra creditcard, identification, health information and personal contacts.
Hope you get your your card back, Feetzgerald!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Feetzgerald

Dec 15, 2021
England
Future
Late update! But the magic of the Camino showed itself.

I started walking back to see if I could find it. Bumped into a woman pilgrim who asked if anything was wrong and I explained the situation. She told me that a man had found it and picked it up and was going to leave it in Pamplona for me. He must have passed right by me!

About an hour or so later I'm just nearing Pamplona. I got into a cafe and see a pilgrim. I begin to explain my situation in English and then in broken Spanish, but he's French and speaks little English. Then suddenly his face lights up and says "ah, credit card!" and digs into his travel pouch and brings out my card. I'm so relieved that I'm thanking him in every language I know and offer to buy him a 'cafe au lait' which he gracefully accepts. We then sit together with our coffees and attempt to communicate in what little we know of each others languages, with help from a French woman who speaks a bit of English.

I guess my days of being an English Francophobe are over. Vive la France!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

rometimed

Feb 16, 2015
BC, Canada
(SJPdP: 2015, MAY/JUNE2022!!! ) (Eng Way: 2015)
Late update! But the magic of the Camino showed itself.

I started walking back to see if I could find it. Bumped into a woman pilgrim who asked if anything was wrong and I explained the situation. She told me that a man had found it and picked it up and was going to leave it in Pamplona for me. He must have passed right by me!

About an hour or so later I'm just nearing Pamplona. I got into a cafe and see a pilgrim. I begin to explain my situation in English and then in broken Spanish, but he's French and speaks little English. Then suddenly his face lights up and says "ah, credit card!" and digs into his travel pouch and brings out my card. I'm so relieved that I'm thanking him in every language I know and offer to buy him a 'cafe au lait' which he gracefully accepts. We then sit together with our coffees and attempt to communicate in what little we know of each others languages, with help from a French woman who speaks a bit of English.

I guess my days of being an English Francophobe are over. Vive la France!

Love it. Classic Camino magic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Kelly Ann

Oct 20, 2017
N/A
Since I was robbed on the train from the airport in Barcelona on the way home from my second camino in 2007, I have sewn an inner pocket into all my trousers. There I keep some euros, an extra creditcard, identification, health information and personal contacts.
Hope you get your your card back, Feetzgerald!
Can you share the details of how you were robbed please?

ranthr

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2008
Finnmark, Norway
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Can you share the details of how you were robbed please?
When I was to leave the train at Saints, going from the airport in Barcelona, somebody pressed me from behind and stopped me in front. I got a bit irritated because I wanted to get off the train. When I got off I noticed that my wallet was gone, and I told it to an English woman who sat next to me. She told me she had seen somebody trying to stop me and that they did not leave the train. I went into the train again and cried out about being robbed. I saw the people that robbed me but they refused to give me back my things. Went off at the next station and took the train back to Saints where I went to policeoffice. i was not alone. Several people was in front of me in the queue. I was without my passport, without money, luckily with another creditcard than the ones being robbed.
After this happening,many years ago on my second camino in 2007, I always take more care, have more secret places to keep valuables, always have copies of my passport and some hidden money.
Afterwards I learned thet this was a typical method of robbing people, and on my way home from Barcelona I could see the persons in actions again. It was possible on the trains because you could travel all day on a ticket if you did not leave the train. So a lot of people had their working day robbing people on the airportline.
Always taking the bus from the airport after that, there youhave to show a ticket for each trip.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Jul 14, 2012
Vanderbilt Beach and Estoril
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
Many years ago I started traveling with my wallet in my front pocket, after all who is going to go there.without my knowledge.
I would never trust one of of those over/around the neck thingies after hearing a story about a guy who got robbed in his sleep in an albergue in Ciizur Menor. He suspected it was a .......non pilgrim.
I also travel with an expired US Passport with as few dollars and Euros tucked inside in case I get held up. I can hand them the the goods they are looking for and walk away much safer and smarter knowing that perhaps a few blocks away they realize the error in their ways.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

After walking in rainy and chilly Galicia for about a week I ended up in a warm hotel room, feverish and with a cold. And I asked myself: why am I doing this? It felt like truancy, but I decided...
Hi I am curious to know what snake this is, just after Astorga before Murias de Rechivaldo ... lovely little thing!
We are leaving Sahagún and can’t find any coffee for breakfast. Any advice or has someone seen any on the way. Saludos Nando
Got a notification from my Phone that we started our first Camino 8 years ago today... We accidently left our phone charger and Kindle charger at Orrison along with our euro plug adapter and...
On our way.. When we planned this months ago we forgot we we’re flying out on Memorial Day Friday.. Doh!!
My wife and I just walked into Santiago this morning. We started in SJPdP to Pamplona to San Sebastian to Oviedo and then here to Santiago. As we walked around this morning we stopped and had a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.