Status
Not open for further replies.

chignome

Keeping the Faith
Apr 18, 2023
USA
Time of past OR future Camino
4-25-23
I'll be starting my Camino 4/25 - I'm trying to decide on my sleeping bag sit. I plan on 85% Hostel sleeps and wonder if a Thermolite Reactor Extreme LINER (+15degrees to normal sleeping bag) is adequate for this time of year? Some have said a silk liner is adequate, but I'm not sure they were walking at this time of year. (less than 4 days! scream! :) )

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
I'll be starting my Camino 4/25 - I'm trying to decide on my sleeping bag sit. I plan on 85% Hostel sleeps and wonder if a Thermolite Reactor Extreme LINER (+15degrees to normal sleeping bag) is adequate for this time of year? Some have said a silk liner is adequate, but I'm not sure they were walking at this time of year. (less than 4 days! scream! :) )
I always carry a light down sleeping bag if I am planning on sleeping in Albergues. If I am planning on staying in Hostals, Hotels & the ilk I see no need

chignome

Keeping the Faith
Apr 18, 2023
USA
4-25-23
I always carry a light down sleeping bag if I am planning on sleeping in Albergues. If I am planning on staying in Hostals, Hotels & the ilk I see no need
uh oh....I didn't know there was a diff btwn Albergues and Hostals (thanks for spelling correct!)...I am planning on Albergues...i think...what is the difference - I'm fluent in 2 languages, but Spanish or French are not one of them {:-/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
My husband used a Thermolite Reactor liner our first Camino. You may need to wear some of your clothes during the first few weeks to sleep in as April and May can have variable weather. It was too hot for him later in the year and we now carry just silk liner bags for the warm months. Albergues are rooms with bunk beds usually for several people although they can also have private rooms.

Reactions: chignome
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
Albergues are the basic, usually dormitory style, accommodations serving the pilgrim paths. Hostals are generally small, family run, Hotels.

Albergues will usually provide some sort of disposable bottom sheet and pillow cover and some, very variably, will provide blankets. I'm never prepared to risk my own comfort / nights sleep. That's why I carry the sack. And it means I'll likely survive a night in a church porch if things go awry

Reactions: Mournes

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Feb 6, 2020
Greece
Starting May 2023 from St Jean Pied de Port
Thank you! I plan on Albergues, for the most part, then. Are you out there now? How are those at night temperature-wise? Anyone?
I'm currently living in northern Spain. Inside my house (without heating) it is more than 10ÂşC all the time (usually more like 13-15). The outdoor temperature has been as low as 3ÂşC in the last week, but it won't be that cold in a dorm with other people.

chignome

Keeping the Faith
Apr 18, 2023
USA
4-25-23
Albergues are the basic, usually dormitory style, accommodations serving the pilgrim paths. Hostals are generally small, family run, Hotels.

Albergues will usually provide some sort of disposable bottom sheet and pillow cover and some, very variably, will provide blankets. I'm never prepared to risk my own comfort / nights sleep. That's why I carry the sack. And it means I'll likely survive a night in a church porch if things go awry
And the questions keep coming... PILLOWs! to bring or not bring? Wadding up my clothes is what I was planning - but in the interest of a good nights rest... what say you? If you can't tell, I am highly interested in keeping my pack as light as possible (have some back limitations I need to be vigilant about in order to be able to complete my pilgrimage).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

lovelyshell

Sep 5, 2016
Southern California
October/November 2016
And the questions keep coming... PILLOWs! to bring or not bring? Wadding up my clothes is what I was planning - but in the interest of a good nights rest... what say you? If you can't tell, I am highly interested in keeping my pack as light as possible (have some back limitations I need to be vigilant about in order to be able to complete my pilgrimage).
Most albergues have pillows. I bring a lightweight sarong as a pillow cover, also doubles as a wrap coming out of the shower.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Madis

Jan 24, 2022
Estonia
caminopilgrim.travel.blog
Via de la Plata, Mar/Apr 2024
When it comes to a sleeping setup, then just concider what is the least you would be comfortable with. Also, of it will all fit well in your backpack. You can alwys add a layer of clothing or two on yourself for those colder nights. Besides most albegues have basic blankets you can use for those chilly nights.

Reactions: CWBuff
Jan 22, 2023
USA
Camino Frances, April 2023
I personally would do the liner right about now. Unless you have a very lightweight sleeping bag. The days are getting warmer as we move west. I have a sleeping bag and I’ve used it a few times, more like a blanket though.

Cityjune

Mar 23, 2023
London
17/04/2023
I am day 4 now into the camino frances. The nights are cold. Not all albergues have blankets. The main albergues in roncesvalles and in zubiri have no blankets. My friend in her silk liner was freezing. She did not sleep. I had my lightweight sleeping bag and was toasty warm I saw that most of the people from around the world have a sleeping bag with them . Take a sleeping bag .
Everywhere has pillows so far but it’s only day 4 for me

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Mar 5, 2019
Willow Grove, PA
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
agree with @MadisV
On top of everything else DO REMEMBER - anything you bring with you have to carry... 500 miles
So lest you want to recreate Napoleon retreat after crossing Berezina in 1812 consider the weight and ramifications
I did not travel during this time of the year but for staying in Albergues all the time (4 times I did have a private room but all others instances were in communal dorm) I had a light liner and pretty much all but ONE Albergue provided pillow covers

Reactions: Madis

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
This thread has inspired me to start a poll here. I think it is safe to say that the advice from experienced pilgrims will be very similar for any of the months that are not mid-summer or winter, and for any of the routes in Spain and Portugal.

I will close this thread, since the OP has received some good specific replies, and it would be nice to collect the future advice on a single general thread.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides