• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone taken the short cut from France to Route Aragon via Hecho?

shannon Leigh

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Aragones, via de la plata. looking to do either norte or portugues
A couple of years ago I was surprised to find Camino signs and aubergues in Valle de Hecho / Selva de Oza which boarders the French Parc National Des Pyrenees. To further my surprise, I walked to Aguas Tuertas (in the middle of no where (stunning. epic scenery) and met a man who was on the Camino and just came from the French side.When I looked back at the map, I did not see a trail that goes to France from Aguas T, but when there, I did see a minimal path go around the mountain. Since then I have not been able to find any kind of map or info to describe this "path". From a birds eye view looking at the map, , It seems like it is only about 2 kms from the French Lac d Arlet (I did find a trail on the French side going to a refuge above the lake but nothing about passing over the mountain into Spain), but I am sure it must be more than that due to climbing (I have not found an elevation map neither). I called the closest visitors center ( near Borce, France) who did not know about a path into France but said the route to Lac d Arlet currently (about 2 weeks ago) has snow and would be difficult. She suggested another route starting from a parking lot near Forges deAbel area (north of Somport) that goes to Aguas Tuertas or to an area near Valle De Hecho. I did find something online written about it (not to Aguas) but it was a 2 night trek staying in the refuges Lizara and Gabardito. I was hoping to cross over in one day (From Aguas T, I can walk to the Aubergue in Selva de Oza in about 3 hours.
Has anyone been this way or have a map that shows a trail to Aguas Tuertas from France ? I'll be going there in a week.
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Camino de Santiago that crosses Hecho Valley enters Spain at the Puerto del Palo (aka Col de Pau). I don't know if the route is marked on the French side but you can find a track to the Col de Pau from Lescun at http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=5193897 On the Spanish side, it's the GR65.3.3 and it should be marked but you can find tracks from Hecho to Puerto del Palo in Wikiloc so you know beforehand the route just in case it wasn't marked all the way from the pass.

(I have not found an elevation map neither

www.geoportail.gouv.fr for France.
www.ign.es for Spain

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of years ago I was surprised to find Camino signs and aubergues in Valle de Hecho / Selva de Oza which boarders the French Parc National Des Pyrenees. To further my surprise, I walked to Aguas Tuertas (in the middle of no where (stunning. epic scenery) and met a man who was on the Camino and just came from the French side.When I looked back at the map, I did not see a trail that goes to France from Aguas T, but when there, I did see a minimal path go around the mountain. Since then I have not been able to find any kind of map or info to describe this "path". From a birds eye view looking at the map, , It seems like it is only about 2 kms from the French Lac d Arlet (I did find a trail on the French side going to a refuge above the lake but nothing about passing over the mountain into Spain), but I am sure it must be more than that due to climbing (I have not found an elevation map neither). I called the closest visitors center ( near Borce, France) who did not know about a path into France but said the route to Lac d Arlet currently (about 2 weeks ago) has snow and would be difficult. She suggested another route starting from a parking lot near Forges deAbel area (north of Somport) that goes to Aguas Tuertas or to an area near Valle De Hecho. I did find something online written about it (not to Aguas) but it was a 2 night trek staying in the refuges Lizara and Gabardito. I was hoping to cross over in one day (From Aguas T, I can walk to the Aubergue in Selva de Oza in about 3 hours.
Has anyone been this way or have a map that shows a trail to Aguas Tuertas from France ? I'll be going there in a week.
Thanks

The Camino de Santiago that crosses Hecho Valley enters Spain at the Puerto del Palo (aka Col de Pau). I don't know if the route is marked on the French side but you can find a track to the Col de Pau from Lescun at http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=5193897 On the Spanish side, it's the GR65.3.3 and it should be marked but you can find tracks from Hecho to Puerto del Palo in Wikiloc so you know beforehand the route just in case it wasn't marked all the way from the pass.

www.geoportail.gouv.fr for France.
www.ign.es for Spain

BIG THANK YOU! I'll look into it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back