• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello! It’s been a long time coming.

franwolfe

Time of past OR future Camino
Future; April through May 2023
Hello all. I expect to book my flights this or next week from either Vancouver or Calgary to Paris. Then it’s a train/bus to SJPP. Since I am a true newbie at this I plan to enjoy all the learning that comes with it. I plan to leave Canada mid April with hopes of beginning walking within a couple days of arriving.

Tips, suggestions are welcome. I will do the CF. All the way. Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congratulations! As someone planning to book for a May departure from Vancouver, I can suggest you consider flying back from Porto. Of all the routes I researched from Vancouver, the cheapest I could find is Vancouver - Paris - Biaritz and then returning Porto - Vancouver.

Cheapest/best flights I've found is with KLM or Air France. Prices have been fluctuating between $1100 and $1400 for my preferred dates. If you book a better/cheaper route please share the info!

Welcome to the forum! You might find this thread useful to start your research on the forum - it has links to many tagged threads about the Camino Frances. Other than that, feel free to post new threads with your questions.

For travel to SJPP, you might also want to check the option of flying to Biarritz, via Paris. That airport also serves Bayonne, which is where you get the last part of the train journey to SJPP.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello all. I expect to book my flights this or next week from either Vancouver or Calgary to Paris. Then it’s a train/bus to SJPP. Since I am a true newbie at this I plan to enjoy all the learning that comes with it. I plan to leave Canada mid April with hopes of beginning walking within a couple days of arriving.

Tips, suggestions are welcome. I will do the CF. All the way. Thank you.
Unless you really plan to get some time in Paris, you might consider Bordeaux airport and then the train to St Jean from there. April can still be wet and cool, or even snowy in the moutains, so be prepared for that, and be willing to walk the Valcarlos route (often looked down upon, but charming and well-served at the 12km mark with a full village to provide an Albergue should you wish or need it.
You can write to the Canadian Company of Pilgrims for membership and badges for your pack, Camino passport etc.
Avoid pushing your body past its capacity. I have seen many Camino end before Burgos with that attitude. Don’t forget to enjoy the food, the scenery, the history, the cultural settings and people along the way. I think it is a pity for people to travel so far hoping only to meet other pilgrims who are more like them rather than less…
Buy Life brand diabetic foot stick for blister prevention.
Do NOT a size up your footwear unless you desire sheering blisters on the soles of your feet.
Be fussy about your socks.
Avoid cotton anything.
Practice with footwear before you go, and choose different terrains to see how they do. walk with a full pack so that you know how your feet will cope with a full load.
Descents are harder than ascents for many. You can make it easier by dropping your butt as one does while skiing, and hold that position while you head down the most challenging descents. You can make ascents far easier by zigzagging the path….
Pause for tapas in Logrono. Have churros as soon as you can find them… eat the Basque cheese… eat all the cheese! Ask the locals what they recommend, or if they have any micro-level foodstuffs they think you should try.
And have a wonderful Camino.

Last edited:
Unless you really plan to get some time in Paris, you might consider Bordeaux airport and then the train to St Jean from there. April can still be wet and cool, or even snowy in the moutains, so be prepared for that, and be willing to walk the Valcarlos route (often looked down upon, but charming and well-served at the 12km mark with a full village to provide an Albergue should you wish or need it.
You can write to the Canadian Company of Pilgrims for membership and badges for your pack, Camino passport etc.
Avoid pushing your body past its capacity. I have seen many Camino end before Burgos with that attitude. Don’t forget to enjoy the food, the scenery, the history, the cultural settings and people along the way. I think it is a pity for people to travel so far hoping only to meet other pilgrims who are more like them rather than less…
Buy Life brand diabetic foot stick for blister prevention.
Do NOT a size up your footwear unless you desire sheering blisters on the soles of your feet.
Be fussy about your socks.
Avoid cotton anything.
Practice with footwear before you go, and choose different terrains to see how they do. walk with a full pack so that you know how your feet will cope with a full load.
Descents are harder than ascents for many. You can make it easier by dropping your butt as one does while skiing, and hold that position while you head down the most challenging descents. You can make ascents far easier by zigzagging the path….
Pause for tapas in Logrono. Have churros as soon as you can find them… eat the Basque cheese… eat all the cheese! Ask the locals what they recommend, or if they have any micro-level foodstuffs they think you should try.
And have a wonderful Camino.
I suggest take your own blister patches , painkillers and first aid kit as I found the chemists over there earlier in the year very expensive ..oh one other thing no harm taking Permethrin it's an insect repellent spray for the backpack and your clothes , being that you going through plenty of woodland you want to be extra careful ..

Congratulations! As someone planning to book for a May departure from Vancouver, I can suggest you consider flying back from Porto. Of all the routes I researched from Vancouver, the cheapest I could find is Vancouver - Paris - Biaritz and then returning Porto - Vancouver.

Cheapest/best flights I've found is with KLM or Air France. Prices have been fluctuating between $1100 and $1400 for my preferred dates. If you book a better/cheaper route please share the info!
A second vote for KLM/Air France!! I had such good service with them last year, everyone was very nice, the food looked so much better than Air Canada's inflight meals (I say looked because I couldn't eat most of it due to an allergy) very comfortable and much cheaper than Air Canada.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found a good airfare on Air Canada, goes from Calgary to Paris ( or Madrid), returning from Santiago to Calgary. You’ll have to play with dates, it’s not offered every day of the week, but the advantage is it’s a through ticket from Santiago.
Porto is another good option if you are able to extend your stay for a few days.

Tips, suggestions are welcome. I will do the CF. All the way. Thank

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
oh one other thing no harm taking Permethrin it's an insect repellent spray for the backpack and your clothes
Actually, there could be harm in bringing permethrin on the Camino, as it is toxic until it is fully dry.
It should be used before you leave home to treat your gear, don't spray it around while you are on the Camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.