Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Yes, there are at least two Decathlon stores where you can buy inexpensive stores. One is right in the center.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

xin loi

Mar 31, 2014
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Walked May 14, 2014 from St Jean France

starting to walk again August 25, 2016 --SJPDP to Finisterre
Don't like them so I do not use them. But i was just reading about the 88 Temple Pilgrimage in Japan and found it interesting that the tips of poles are cleaned each night at the place where you stay and hiking poles are placed in a special place to "Sleep' over night.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Nov 9, 2014
Kent, UK
canterburypilgrim.wordpress.com
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
Don't like them so I do not use them. But i was just reading about the 88 Temple Pilgrimage in Japan and found it interesting that the tips of poles are cleaned each night at the place where you stay and hiking poles are placed in a special place to "Sleep' over night.
Respect for trusted equipment.
I've mentioned before seeing a Japanese pilgrim deposit his very smart blue and silver hiking poles on the pile of wooden staves out the back of the Pilgrim Office. He then bowed respectfully to them and turned away, not looking back.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Jan 21, 2013
Hawaii - Germany
kathyfootenotes.wordpress.com
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
LOL, my hiking poles are my very trusted friends. I would never give them up and they are cherished and respected to this day (I lived in Japan for 13 years).
I would also never think about doing a Camino without bringing them along. I consider them basic equipment, along with well fitting socks and shoes.

El Cascayal

Veteran Member
Feb 9, 2019
Miami
23:Valença Var Espiritual Apr; Norte Cudillero Oct
LOL, my hiking poles are my very trusted friends. I would never give them up and they are cherished and respected to this day (I lived in Japan for 13 years).
I would also never think about doing a Camino without bringing them along. I consider them basic equipment, along with well fitting socks and shoes.
To me, an extension of my arms. Absolutamente imprescindibles.

Reactions: Kathy F.

mrosenlof

Colorado, USA. Kinda slow...
May 28, 2022
Colorado USA
Chemin du Puy Sept 2024 Nasbinals to Rocamadour
On the Shikoku 88, the pilgrim's staff is symbolic of Kobo Daishi, the great teacher who is credited with many achievents around Shikoku and the pilgrimage temples. The staff is Kobo Daishi who accompanies the pilgrim on the journey. Washing the tip is symbolically washing the feet of the Daishi at the end of the day. "Do gyo ni nin" (we two, going together) is often written on the staff.

According to Wikipedia, pilgrims leave their staffs at the temple where they complete the circuit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I just heard from José Luis of the Via Lusitana that they have opened a pilgrim office in Lisbon. It only opens in the afternoons — every day, from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM. It is a small room in the...
Last night the skies over the Camino Portugués lit up in the most incredible way. It was a mystery to me until I saw the headlines this morning that a meteor had flown overhead. Did anybody else...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides