• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If I have to terminate/discontinue my Camino

LinaNyberg

Time of past OR future Camino
I had to discontinue my Camino at Frómista due to injuries. Can I still get my certificate/diploma when I get to Santiago another time/year if I pick up from where I left? Will it be the same certificate as if I hade done the Camino in one go, or is there anything I need to do?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had to discontinue my Camino at Frómista due to injuries. Can I still get my certificate/diploma when I get to Santiago another time/year if I pick up from where I left? Will it be the same certificate as if I hade done the Camino in one go, or is there anything I need to do?
Yes, and yes.

There are some simple rules. If you left the camino before the last 100 km, it won't matter to the Pilgrim Office where you rejoined except when they are trying to calculate the distance certificate. If you left after the start of the 100 km, you will need to rejoin at the same place you left, and get a new stamp for that place at the time you rejoin. So far as I can tell, all you need to do is keep your credencial, and bring it with you when next you walk.

See this page from the Pilgrim Office where it discusses walking in stages.

As Doug has said, many people walk their Camino in stages, based on how much they can manage / time off work etc and the Pilgrim Office understand this. I have seen a few multi year credencials. Tuck it somewhere safe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In 2017 I did the entire Camino Frances. I was fortunate to have the time to do it all in one go. I was aware of the need to obtain at least 2 Sellos per day from Sarria to Santiago. I got 3 and sometimes 4. After all that distance from St. Jean Pied de Porte, I was determined not to be doubted about that last 100 km when I arrived in Santiago. My Credencials are highly prized keepsakes and are kept in special envelopes in my office. To markie6's point, "Tuck it somewhere safe." What a delicious sensation it will be, Lina, when you have that Compostela firmly in hand. Good luck to you!

On one of my Caminos I had to return home due to illness when I got to Pamplona. A month later I returned to Sarria and walked to SDC from there getting two stamps per day as required. I got my Compostela but also a Certificate of Distance Walked which detailed SJPDP to Pamplona and Sarria to SDC. The distance was calculated by the person issuing the documents. Hope this helps. Buen Camino. Vince

Many Spaniards walk for One week / Five years . Enjoy your memories of this Camino and return to complete.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.