• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it permissible to skip Sarria to Santiago?

lequimper

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Camino in 2022
I know pilgrims can just walk the last 100 km from Sarria to gain the certificate, but is it possible to walk from SJPP to Sarria, then skip straight to SdC and still qualify? Partly to avoid what looks like the busiest and possibly least interesting section. Also cos I am short of time and would rather miss the last 100 km than the first 100 over the Pyrenees. TIA.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know pilgrims can just walk the last 100 km from Sarria to gain the certificate, but is it possible to walk from SJPP to Sarria, then skip straight to SdC and still qualify? Partly to avoid what looks like the busiest and possibly least interesting section. Also cos I am short of time and would rather miss the last 100 km than the first 100 over the Pyrenees. TIA.

No. If you want to obtain the Compostela you will have to walk from Sarria on and get your two sellos per day.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
No, you can't get a compostella if you skip the last 100 km. You can skip part of the middle, but not the last part.

I just finished reading the wonderful "Walking With Sam", actor/director Andrew McCarthy's memoir of walking his second Camino Francés with his 19-year-old son, where he talks about dreading the part of the walk between Sarria and Santiago - and how he partially circumvented the crowds by starting out earlier in the day, taking alternate paths where they presented themselves, and staying in towns other than the "usual" ones (I.e., Portomarin, Palais de Rei, Arzua, O Pedrouzo) recommended in most guides.

All of which is to say that there are ways of mitigating the crowds and scramble for accommodations along that stretch if you decide to walk it. Far from being the "least interesting" part of the walk, some of my fondest Camino memories and best walking buddies were made during those last few days. As wonderful as those first few days out of SJPP are, if you have limited time I'd consider starting later in the route (say, Logroño or even Burgos) and walking all the way to Santiago from there. Either way, whatever parts you decide to skip will still be waiting for you the next time you walk — which you probably will :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The walk is full of celebration and , for me, quite emotional. Met lots of interesting people in those last stages too. Personally, I feel it is part of the experience but we areall different.

While the entire Frances route is wonderful, the excitement of finishing your walk by going down the stairs, past thr bagpiper and into the plaza facing the Cathedral can't be matched ( it just to me wouldn't seem the same to arrive from the train station.). And incidentally, Galicia is very pretty to walk through. My advice, find a way to make it work.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know pilgrims can just walk the last 100 km from Sarria to gain the certificate, but is it possible to walk from SJPP to Sarria, then skip straight to SdC and still qualify? Partly to avoid what looks like the busiest and possibly least interesting section. Also cos I am short of time and would rather miss the last
We walked the whole CF last year and Sarria to SDC was some of the most enjoyable walking. The Galician countryside is so beautiful. If you avoid the set stages you can still find some solitude, although Sarria to Portomarin was like doing the Camino on steroids!

I have walked to the tomb of the apostle along the four major approaches, ie from Ferrol, Sarria (from SJPP), Tui (from Lisbon) and Ourense. I know that there are people who find Sarria to SDC busy, and suggest it is boring. It is busy, but of all the ways I have walked, it is also the most vibrant and entertaining. It might be easier to have time for quiet contemplation about your pilgrimage on some of the less travelled routes, but that would would not deter me from walking it again. And the scenery, both urban and rural, while different to the earlier stretches of the CF, is hardly boring. Galicia is quite beautiful whichever route you arrive by.

Not sure how much time you have. If you just don't want the Sarria - Compostela busyness you could just pick up the Camino Invierno at Ponferrada. You could skip a section after the Pyrenees to cater for the time you have available. That way, you get to walk over the Pyrenees, miss the section from Sarria, AND get a Compostela.
Happy planning!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I found the section from Sarria to SDC to be as busy as I had feared, however I was quite surprised to find that when I stayed off-stage I often walked for hours without seeing another pilgrim, especially early in the morning. Some of my quietest mornings were between Sarria and Santiago, oddly enough. And this part of the camino is really beautiful. I'll walk it again happily.

It will be interesting to see how the crowds change when/if they change the compostela requirement to 200km instead of the current 100km. Will the crowds decrease because not as many are willing/able to walk 200km?
Personally I don't really understand the desire for a compostela, beyond a simple souvenir. But I understand it's important to some, for whatever reason.

By the time you depart St Jean for Roncesvalles you will already have missed the Pyrenees. They’re behind you, obscured by the rising sun as you set out. If you want to hike the Pyrenees you need to choose a different route with a different starting point and a different destination.

If you want to obtain a Compostela you only have to walk 100km into Santiago and obtain two stamps per day on your credencial. Some religious intent or “at least in a sense of search” used to be required but is by no means compulsory. Turning up with the requisite paperwork ought to do it.

Plan for a three or four day walk to Pamplona and busk it from there 😉

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Also cos I am short of time and would rather miss the last 100 km than the first 100 over the Pyrenees.
I think this might be misguided reasoning! The 25 km part that goes "over the Pyrenees" is over in a day, and it won't be anything special if you have a foggy/cloudy day. The last 100 km takes you to Santiago, which is the culmination of the traditional pilgrimage. If you are mainly interested in a beautiful scenic hike in the mountains, there are many better routes and locations. If you are interested in the cultural experience of the Camino de Santiago, I think the last 100 km is more significant than the SJPP-Pamplona part.

I think that this rule change is currently a pipe dream, and not anything to be concerned about.
It's not something I'm concerned about and I don't think it will impact me one way or another. However if I were to be given a vote on it, I'd vote to extend it to 200km. I'm looking at it from purely a business/tourism perspective, and it would be good to spread the wealth a bit, and have more small towns be able to reap the benefits of thousands of pilgrims walking through.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
, and have more small towns be able to reap the benefits of thousands of pilgrims walking through.
Que? Can you offer up one town that benefits from those thousands? Last year there were passionate protests against the money “squandered” on pilgrim infrastructure when what the local people wanted was schools their children could get to without an hour bus ride. A health centre that didn’t require a two week wait and a taxi ride each way for their ageing parents and parks and recreational areas that weren’t splattered with excrement and half eaten food. Spreading the grief back along another 100km of impoverished rural communities may not win as many prizes as you might think

You can walk the last 100km into Santiago from various locations. Sarria is not the only option. Take a look at the Sanabres, the Portugues, and the ingles— all enter Santiago from different points. I particularly liked starting the last 100km in Ourense. All the above are quieter than the Sarria to Santiago route. Once you get to Sarria you’d just need to find a bus or other transportation to a different starting point. Of course there is always the option of foregoing the Compostela altogether…

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can walk the last 100km into Santiago from various locations. Sarria is not the only option. Take a look at the Sanabres, the Portugues, and the ingles— all enter Santiago from different points. I particularly liked starting the last 100km in Ourense. All the above are quieter than the Sarria to Santiago route. Once you get to Sarria you’d just need to find a bus or other transportation to a different starting point. Of course there is always the option of foregoing the Compostela altogether…
Also consider taking the Invierno from Ponferrada if you want to avoid the Sarria crowds.

Que? Can you offer up one town that benefits from those thousands? Last year there were passionate protests against the money “squandered” on pilgrim infrastructure when what the local people wanted was schools their children could get to without an hour bus ride. A health centre that didn’t require a two week wait and a taxi ride each way for their ageing parents and parks and recreational areas that weren’t splattered with excrement and half eaten food. Spreading the grief back along another 100km of impoverished rural communities may not win as many prizes as you might think

I must admit I got a little hint of this from a lady serving me coffee in a bar in Furelos last month. I was chatting to her in Spanish about seasonal numbers for peregrinos, and she talked a little about special medical support available to peregrinos when locals can’t even get to see a doctor.

It’s not all unalloyed happiness and contentment.

Similar comments can be made about virtually every form of tourism. There's always a positive and negative side to it. I admit that the older I get the more I start to see the negative consequences, which is probably part of the reason I left the industry after so many years. But there are positives, and I don't think I'd have to look too hard to find locals that believe the influx of pilgrims is a positive force.

If the situation is in fact as bleak is you are suggesting, then perhaps everyone on this site should reconsider their decision to walk caminos in Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No.. it is for the last 100

Just wondering, but perhaps an equally good question to ask yourself is whether you really need the certificate (and why)?
Yes, good question. The credencial with all the sellos is sufficient evidence you walked, eh?
But then there’s that bit about sins being forgiven. Or have they removed that wording?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But then there’s that bit about sins being forgiven.
Me, I’ve never sinned. But then my old guys wouldn’t even have a concept of sin, nor did Gran. There are parallels in the philosophies- “do right”,”do as you would be done by”, “do unto others…”, “don’t do what’s not done”.

I’ve got my Compostela, like my Cycling Proficiency and my Audit papers they’re evidence of an acknowledgement that I did something once: I doubt St Peter or my gatekeepers or anyone else’s are that bothered about the paperwork.

And all that said what you get the certificate for is collecting stamps. I expect to see a lot of happy philatelists on the other side 😉

Get to Ourense on the Sanabres for your last 100 km. it’s beautiful and not crowded. I see you might be short of time so you may need to skip a bit in the middle.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But then there’s that bit about sins being forgiven. Or have they removed that wording?
There was never any wording about sins being forgiven in the text of the Camino Compostela.

That indulgences and Camino Compostelas are two fundamentally different things has been explained many times before on the forum but equating the two is always still good for a joke. There are plenty of opportunities to inform oneself about the differences.

Here are some easy to remember characteristics:

Camino Compostelas are for everybody. Indulgences are only for Catholics.
Camino Compostelas are awarded for the physical effort of walking, biking, sailing, or riding on a horse. Indulgences don't require any walking, biking, sailing or riding on a horse.

Buen Camino to all. :cool:

PS: Edited to correct a spelling error. 🫣

Last edited:
I know pilgrims can just walk the last 100 km from Sarria to gain the certificate, but is it possible to walk from SJPP to Sarria, then skip straight to SdC and still qualify? Partly to avoid what looks like the busiest and possibly least interesting section. Also cos I am short of time and would rather miss the last 100 km than the first 100 over the Pyrenees. TI

We have avoided that last 100 km for 11 years. We don't need another Compostela, it simply isn't worth the crowds, noise and......
Just not worth it.

We have avoided that last 100 km for 11 years. We don't need another Compostela, it simply isn't worth the crowds, noise and......
Just not worth it.
Well, maybe...maybe it's time to try it? Not always crowded, noisy....
and it is beautiful...and can be wonderful.
(I don't do the compostela thing either).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As in life there are always bits of the Camino that are challenging. As much as I learn and experience when walking the quieter routes I also learn so much about myself when I walk among more people. Not always pleasant but always growth promoting.
I am planning my second Francés after 18 years - it’s taken that long partly because of all the stories about the crowds. After talking to many recent Francés walkers I hear that it is possible to find some solitude on the Francés. I am still wondering about the last 100 km.
Am I like the meditating hermit who comes down from their mountain cave only to yell at the first person who bumps them in the market place - or can I maintain my serenity even amongst the crowds. I would like to find out more about myself in this setting.
And maybe others have more sense than me or don’t need that learning any more - and sensibly find a more gentle way into Santiago.
Buen Camino to us all

Last edited:
Really, I did not find it so bad. There are ways to avoid the crowds in June and of course in January, the Camino was pretty much deserted.

The two ways of "skipping" that section after the rest of the Francès would be to walk from Sarria to either Lugo or Monforte de Lemos -- as walking from either town to Compostela on respectively the Primitivo or the Invierno would qualify you for the Compostela. There's the Invierno from Ponferrada too.

The Compostela is not a certificate for hiking, it's a religious document to state that you have accomplished a pilgrimage. And, given the 100K distance required for it, that means that you must demonstrate having walked at least that far to the Cathedral, i.e. the final 100K and not several 100K in some other parts of Spain.

If you have not enough time to walk from SJPP to Santiago, given that a continuous foot pilgrimage has certain advantages, I will always recommend to those with time limits to start from a point closer to Santiago than SJPP.

nope

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back