Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking at options for 2011, Camino Labaniego

M

mikevasey

Hi everyone,
Im looking at my options for 2011(i probably only have around 3 weeks), I was on Peter Robins site looking at his overview of modern routes, and realised that from San Vicente de la Barquera you can walk the Camino Labaniego to Potes, then take up the Ruta Vadiniense down to the Camino Frances.
Ive seen the associations giving etapa information on their websites, but im hoping someone has walked it and can give me their observations on it, from the photos i was looking at it seems stunning, and a bit daunting.
Also i would take up the Camino Viejo were it crosses the Vadiniense and go on to Villa Franco del Bierzo, can anyone help me with that i.e stages, accommodation and so on, anything would be useful at this stage positive or negative.
By my very loose reckoning its around 550 - 600 km to Santiago, feel free to correct me(hopefully downward).
Thanks
Mike.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi, Mike,
Sil posted some information on this route in this thread: miscellaneous-topics/topic9191.html

And as you'll see when you read it, Rebekah and a friend are going to walk on this camino this month. I'm pretty sure Reb will tell us all about it.

I'll just have to sit and wait till I get the time, but your idea about crossing over to Villafranca del Bierzo and continuing on from there is intriguing, since it's always a real bonus to be able to finish up in Santiago, seems to create more of a feeling of a pilgrimage, at least for me.

Laurie

Thanks Peregrina,
I should have known to look on there, I wasnt sure were to post my original question, it seems obvious now.
If i do it i will be pushed for time, so i was hoping that the Camino Viejo(which starts in Bilbao) would maybe help me out, but im just guessing at this, it may be quicker to stay on the vadiniense untill it connects with the Frances.

Hope you get the time you want soon.

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be sure to post details when the hike is done. So far I´ve driven to Potes and back, the carretera follows alongside the route for part of the way (and it IS the way sometimes, evidently). Lots of waymarking visible, even from the highway. Plenty of Roman road. And LOTS of serious mountain, with the iffy weather that goes along with it.

There are two pilgrim albergues in a seven or eight-etapa route. The rest you´ll have to use pension or hostels, or figure out how to camp. Most pilgrims who use the Vadininese are bikers.

Film at 11! We hope to set out Sept. 17.
Rebekah

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I am a seasoned pilgrim but I will be walking my first leg of the Northern Route in early July. I am walking alone for the first time and so I was hoping to be more spontaneous about my...
This may seem bizarre but due to flights we are only walking from Gernika to San Sebastián - so doing the route backwards!! Had a look at Mapy.cz. - any other suggestions to help us guide...
Hi everybody! My and my friend would like to hike about 5-7 days in the camino del Norte! Does anybody have any sugestions on where to start and finish? We are planning on hikeing in the beginning...
I just wanted to share in case it reaches anyone who needs it: Albergue Tu Camino in Ontón is closed at the moment (11 June), confirmed by the hospitalera by text. The uncertainty about it caused...
Hello :), This year, I only have one week of vacation (6 to 7 walking days), but I still wanted to walk a bit of the camino. I'm flying to and from Santander. Now I'm hesitating between walking...
Am on the Norte rn, looking to walk into SdC the morning on Sun 23 Jun. I have read of a way of avoiding joining the Frances till SdC’s airport perimeter, but I can’t easily find any directions or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back