• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack recommendations

sjdaotearoa

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (2018)
Camino del Norte (2023)
Hola peregrinos. I've done 2 camino's now with an Osprey 36 which on the whole has been great. However, I'm 6ft tall and am feeling like it's a bit too short. It does not have an adjustable back, but I do love the trampoline back-ventilation feature. I also love the water bladder feature. My large Osprey does have an adjustable back but it's 75L so far too big for a camino. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 30-40L range pack with adjustable back length and preferably the bladder feature. Thanks in advance. Sara

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used the Gregory Jade 33L and loved it. Adjustable back. Big enough to not play jenga with your stuff in the morning but not enough room to be sloppy. Bladder feature. But no pole storage like Osprey has. I am tall as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola peregrinos. I've done 2 camino's now with an Osprey 36 which on the whole has been great. However, I'm 6ft tall and am feeling like it's a bit too short. It does not have an adjustable back, but I do love the trampoline back-ventilation feature. I also love the water bladder feature. My large Osprey does have an adjustable back but it's 75L so far too big for a camino. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 30-40L range pack with adjustable back length and preferably the bladder feature. Thanks in advance. Sara
I love my Lowe Alpine Cholatse 40L. Can extend to 45L if needed. It’s not the lightest pack, but I love it

I plan to use a Gregory Zulu 40 on my first Camino in April. What attracted me to it is 1) it's not too big for the camino, 2) It's adjustable so I can get a proper fit, 3) it has the trampoline frame to allow air flow between the back, 4) can access it from the top or front and 5) the price was right. It also has the sleeve for a water bladder though I don't plan to carry one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Check out the Osprey Kestrel 38L for carrying less during warmer months and Kestrel 48L for carrying more/warmer clothes for the cooler months. Buen Camino 👣👣

I though Ospreys came in sizes like small medium, large? I tried on a sizer which helped me know how many inches the back support needed to be. There is also a way to measure with a tape.
Good thought. I did buy my pack second hand so no real idea which size it is. Maybe that's my problem!

I love my Lowe Alpine Cholatse 40L. Can extend to 45L if needed. It’s not the lightest pack, but I love it
I used this pack for Camino Portuguese and loved it. It fits me really well and was so comfortable. Much heavier than the Osprey Tempest I took on Camino Frances and hated. If the pack fits well you don’t notice the extra weight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I plan to use a Gregory Zulu 40 on my first Camino in April. What attracted me to it is 1) it's not too big for the camino, 2) It's adjustable so I can get a proper fit, 3) it has the trampoline frame to allow air flow between the back, 4) can access it from the top or front and 5) the price was right. It also has the sleeve for a water bladder though I don't plan to carry one.
I like my Zulu 40 for the fit as well. Adjustable torso length and the ventilated waistbelt and trampoline back breathe like no one’s business. The only downside is the 3lb weight. I’m considering a Gossamer Gear pack at half the pack weight for my next trip, but the Zulu 40 fits so well it’s a tough decision.

Check out the Osprey Kestrel 38L for carrying less during warmer months and Kestrel 48L for carrying more/warmer clothes for the cooler months. Buen Camino 👣👣
Excellent recommendation ... I used a Kestrel 48 for a couple of Caminos, and as I improved my packing, I found I had too much empty space. So, I just purchased a used Kestrel 38 and will be walking the CP with granddaughter #2 in the spring of '24. Really looking forward to it. Re: Kestrel packs - built-in rain cover; lots of straps; adequate pockets; good access; and can accommodate a water bag.

I bought an Osprey Stratos 36 recently. It does have an adjustable length for the back. Maybe the new ones are different

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I like my Zulu 40 for the fit as well. Adjustable torso length and the ventilated waistbelt and trampoline back breathe like no one’s business. The only downside is the 3lb weight. I’m considering a Gossamer Gear pack at half the pack weight for my next trip, but the Zulu 40 fits so well it’s a tough decision.
I love my Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60. While it is technically a 60 liter backpack, they curiously count the space in the ample pockets. The main compartment holds 36 liters. The bag empty only weighs 32 ounces (2 pounds even). I used it for my Camino Francés this year and it was perfect. I have a Zulu 40 as well but when it came to deciding which one to bring, the Mariposa won out.

I love my Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60. While it is technically a 60 liter backpack, they curiously count the space in the ample pockets. The main compartment holds 36 liters. The bag empty only weighs 32 ounces (2 pounds even). I used it for my Camino Francés this year and it was perfect. I have a Zulu 40 as well but when it came to deciding which one to bring, the Mariposa won out.
I have the Mariposa and the Gorilla and when doing practice hikes before my Camino trip in September I did half the hike with the Zulu and the other half with the Gossamer gear bag (both with full weight and water) and the Zulu was a little better ( especially so in the heat). Gossamer gear has a great sale going on right now and I bought both the Fast Kumo and the regular Kumo which are 21 ounces. If they are tolerable I might use one of these and sell the rest as they’re nearly a pound lighter than the Mariposa and 2 lbs lighter than the Zulu. I should be able to get my total pack weight minus water food down to under 10 lbs. It was 14 lbs with the Zulu this year. I also carried too much water and food on the Camino Madrid (8-9lbs) due to the heat and 20 mile days without services. I’ll bring a filter bottle for the Lana next year and I can fill it anywhere…

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.