• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim discounts on the Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinalil

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2013), CPrim (2015), CdelN (2016), CVdeLP (2017),CM de Almeria (2018), CdelS de Alicante (2019)
Hi there from Kyogle, NSW
Just wondering, if you book hotel/pension accommodation on the Camino through an online agency such
as booking/agoda.com, will the hotel still give you a discount at check out?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just wondering, if you book hotel/pension accommodation on the Camino through an online agency such

Hi and welcome to the Forum, @chinalil
I think you may be talking about those hotels and pensions which advertise a discount for pilgrims off their normal rates on their websites etc? I know there are many which do this. I think if you book through booking.com and the like, you may be committed to paying the fee quoted by those agencies. However if you are not paying in advance, it would still be worth asking at checkout (or checkin - some will ask you to pay on arrival). I suspect some will and some won't - which doesn't help you much, but it would certainly be worth asking.

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is always worth checking prices directly with an accommodation listed by any booking service! Such accommodation pays a fee to that service and thus their stated price on that service link reflects that fee. Furthermore all rooms are not always listed with any service. Thus for the lowest price and possible availabilty find the accommodation website or telephone and ask directly.
Caveat emptor!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi and welcome to the Forum, @chinalil
I think you may be talking about those hotels and pensions which advertise a discount for pilgrims off their normal rates on their websites etc? I know there are many which do this. I think if you book through booking.com and the like, you may be committed to paying the fee quoted by those agencies. However if you are not paying in advance, it would still be worth asking at checkout (or checkin - some will ask you to pay on arrival). I suspect some will and some won't - which doesn't help you much, but it would certainly be worth asking.

Buen camino!
Yep, I hear you, tks for the detailed response. I have written to one directly and I'll see what they say. If it's not a great amount I'll forget about it.

Perhaps you would like to try albergues then.
Been there done that, not if I can avoid it!
It is always worth checking prices directly with an accommodation listed by any booking service! Such accommodation pays a fee to that service and thus their stated price on that service link reflects that fee. Furthermore all rooms are not always listed with any service. Thus for the lowest price and possible availabilty find the accommodation website or telephone and ask directly.
Caveat emptor!
thanks for the clarification, am loving this forum

Others have made useful points about online booking (which I only used a few times). I never asked for a pilgrim rate unless it was a 3-star or a 50euro-plus establishment-- one was usually given but on occasion, I was offered breakfast instead (the receptionist at a hotel in Liendo told me she was not allowed to give pilgrim discounts, but gave me a room with jacuzzi and a fruit-and-wine basket to compensate). I always felt uncomfortable asking mom-and-pop accommodation for discounts although they were sometimes freely offered. Truck stops (which sounds sketchy to a North American, but were uniformly clean and comfortable and hospitable) always gave me the camerero rate. Several roadhouses in Catalonia and Aragon gave me free beer or orujo as well, so I really couldn't complain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Others have made useful points about online booking (which I only used a few times). I never asked for a pilgrim rate unless it was a 3-star or a 50euro-plus establishment-- one was usually given but on occasion, I was offered breakfast instead (the receptionist at a hotel in Liendo told me she was not allowed to give pilgrim discounts, but gave me a room with jacuzzi and a fruit-and-wine basket to compensate). I always felt uncomfortable asking mom-and-pop accommodation for discounts although they were sometimes freely offered. Truck stops (which sounds sketchy to a North American, but were uniformly clean and comfortable and hospitable) always gave me the camerero rate. Several roadhouses in Catalonia and Aragon gave me free beer or orujo as well, so I really couldn't complain.
Tks oursonpolaire, for the extremely useful info/advice. Yep, I agree about the mom and pop accommodation establishments etc. I am walking the first week with my son, who lives in London and my first priority is for him/us to enjoy the wonderful experience. I won't knock back the free beer or orujo either:)

Caveat emptor!
I understand the point you are making, Mspath, however: there is a certain feeling of security about booking through an agency like Booking.com. I have recently spent a lot of time making direct bookings with places between Le Puy and Conques. There was firstly a language barrier because my French is not good. Some places did not reply at all. Others asked me to send a deposit via bank transfer and did not appear to want to accept my Visa card as a guarantee. In a few cases, I'm not really sure whether I have a booking or not, especially over the busy long weekends. Booking agencies do provide a service, but of course are not available at smaller establishments.

Tks for the rundown Margaret. I did the Camino Frances in 2013 alone, I stayed in pensions and hotels etc where possible, if not available I stayed in an albergue. I never prebooked anywhere.
Last year, my husband and son came with me for a time, when there are three it's a different story. I booked for that first week once again , and at a place called Grado on the Camino Primitivo, those that hadn't booked were in trouble.
This time I'll be alone except for the first week. My goal is to make it as comfortable and stress free as possible for my son during that first week.
BTW parabien Margaret on completing the Le Puy to Conques - my husband took that on before I did the Camino Frances in 2013 - I believe it is rather brutal!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am prepared to get in trouble here but..... given the state of the Spanish economy and the relative afluence of most of the pilgrims, especially those taking intercontinental flights, does it not seem a little penny pinching to be demanding discounts or freebies merely because you have chosen to walk across Spain?

As far as I am aware - no, no discounts. There are some of the major hotels along the Camino that do provide discount accommodation to pilgrims (the Paradore in Leon comes to mind, but only if you book directly - not via an agency).

I am prepared to get in trouble here but..... given the state of the Spanish economy and the relative afluence of most of the pilgrims, especially those taking intercontinental flights, does it not seem a little penny pinching to be demanding discounts or freebies merely because you have chosen to walk across Spain

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am prepared to get in trouble here but..... given the state of the Spanish economy and the relative afluence of most of the pilgrims, especially those taking intercontinental flights, does it not seem a little penny pinching to be demanding discounts or freebies merely because you have chosen to walk across Spain?

I'll join you. I think that those of us who are fortunate enough to afford it and choose to travel with a social conscience will pay our Way as much as we can. That doesn't make us any better than someone who is looking for a bargain. It's just the way we journey through the world.

Coming from Australia we have no choice but to take an intercontinental flight and the cost of this is significant. It doesn't necessarily signify affluence as many pilgrims save for years.

Perhaps the issue is more with the publicity and marketing of the Camino as a 'cheap' holiday that does Spain - and the Camino - a disservice.

I'll join you. I think that those of us who are fortunate enough to afford it and choose to travel with a social conscience will pay our Way as much as we can. That doesn't make us any better than someone who is looking for a bargain. It's just the way we journey through the world.

Coming from Australia we have no choice but to take an intercontinental flight and the cost of this is significant. It doesn't necessarily signify affluence as many pilgrims save for years.

Perhaps the issue is more with the publicity and marketing of the Camino as a 'cheap' holiday that does Spain - and the Camino - a disservice.
2 things occur. To have the disposable income to save for the intercontinental flights and the ability to take 4-6 weeks off work does imply quite a high probability of relative affluence. Secondly, as it is a cheap holiday (again relatively) why should an additional discount be sought. If a pilgrim rate for food or accommodation is offered, the costs have been calculated to return a profit to the business owner. To ask for a discount merely eats into the profit.
Surely, if we want to allow future generations to walk the Camino with the level of infrastructure now available, we need to enable the albergues/hotels/ pensions/ restaurants etc to continue to provide a living to their owners.
Sorry I posted the same thing twice. My stupid Samsung tablet logged me out in the middle of posting!

2 things occur. To have the disposable income to save for the intercontinental flights and the ability to take 4-6 weeks off work does imply quite a high probability of relative affluence. Secondly, as it is a cheap holiday (again relatively) why should an additional discount be sought. If a pilgrim rate for food or accommodation is offered, the costs have been calculated to return a profit to the business owner. To ask for a discount merely eats into the profit.
Surely, if we want to allow future generations to walk the Camino with the level of infrastructure now available, we need to enable the albergues/hotels/ pensions/ restaurants etc to continue to provide a living to their owners.
Sorry I posted the same thing twice. My stupid Samsung tablet logged me out in the middle of posting!

You've raised a very interesting point here, Peter - relative affluence. If we were all mindful of this than this discussion would be unnecessary. I totally agree with your rationale about providing a decent standard of living and reward for effort to the service providers along the Camino. It is the standard by which I chose to travel.

I see you are soon to venture onto your first Camino. Go Well.

I'd welcome your view on how you found the experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You've raised a very interesting point here, Peter - relative affluence. If we were all mindful of this than this discussion would be unnecessary. I totally agree with your rationale about providing a decent standard of living and reward for effort to the service providers along the Camino. It is the standard by which I chose to travel.

I see you are soon to venture onto your first Camino. Go Well.

I'd welcome your view on how you found the experience.
We leave the UK 3 weeks today by train for Spain. Can't wait!!!!! Totally brassed off planning, trial packing etc. I WANT TO GO NOW!!!!!!!!!

I understand the point you are making, Mspath, however: there is a certain feeling of security about booking through an agency like Booking.com. I have recently spent a lot of time making direct bookings with places between Le Puy and Conques. There was firstly a language barrier because my French is not good. Some places did not reply at all. Others asked me to send a deposit via bank transfer and did not appear to want to accept my Visa card as a guarantee. In a few cases, I'm not really sure whether I have a booking or not, especially over the busy long weekends. Booking agencies do provide a service, but of course are not available at smaller establishments.

Getting back to the OP discussion. I found in Spain that even with my basic Spanish, calling up to make bookings directly worked every time. It's a lot easier than France. I was never asked for a deposit and as @mspath says, rooms were found where Booking.com showed none available. Plus my stumbling conversation efforts were appreciated and often led to further conversation - and language lessons - from the hospitaliers.

We leave the UK 3 weeks today by train for Spain. Can't wait!!!!! Totally brassed off planning, trial packing etc. I WANT TO GO NOW!!!!!!!!!

Patience, Grasshopper!

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the forum
From our experience using booking.com gives peace of mind and we always book in euros. The exchange rate on any given day will affect our final bill, but that is true even if quoted in £GB. I think it would then be at the discretion of the hotel/pension if they gave you a discount and up to you whether you accepted it. In Lugo we were booked in and they did give us a pilgrim discount, but we did not ask for it. Anything saved goes into the local economy in the form of a meal or cafe con leche.
Looking at current booking.com info rooms (on their site) look as though they are filling up so our preference this year has been to book for the 2 of us. If boooking.com shows places full it is worth phoning or emailing direct, or use their own site form as booking.com does not hold all their rooms. Also 'full' is often shown for months where places are not open until high season, particularly along the Norte.
Hope all goes well for you
Buen Camino

Last edited:
there is a certain feeling of security about booking through an agency like Booking.com
I have compared the booking.com price with the check-in counter price a dozen times, and the booking.com price was always the same as, or lower than, the counter price. I have left the hostal and made a reservation from across the street when booking.com was lower!!

I have compared the booking.com price with the check-in counter price a dozen times, and the booking.com price was always the same as, or lower than, the counter price. I have left the hostal and made a reservation from across the street when booking.com was lower!!

That's my experience too. The only exception is with the Paradores in Spain where at times I've asked for and been given a discount or they've included breakfast.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Didn't sound like she was demanding, to me. Seems like she was asking a reasonable question. I love this forum but some folks here are so snarky. Be gentle people!

I am currently planning my camino, from Oloron Ste Marie through Somport Pass to the Aragones, to Puenta la Reina and on to Santiago. Where my guidebook update (csj) notes that a location no longer offers pilgrim rooms at a discount, I remove that location from my list. I cannot afford to stay there. As a low-income senior, I find it odd that someone who lives within cheap travel distance of Spain would comment on the "affluence" of pilgrims taking intercontinental flights. Most of us have to be retired to have the time and many have to budget stringently to give ourselves the opportunity. The only place where I requested a pilgrim's discount on my last camino was San Martin Pinario in Santiago, which reserves a floor for pilgrims. It is not in my nature to request discounts, but I will look for them when I think they are available.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am currently planning my camino, from Oloron Ste Marie through Somport Pass to the Aragones, to Puenta la Reina and on to Santiago. Where my guidebook update (csj) notes that a location no longer offers pilgrim rooms at a discount, I remove that location from my list. I cannot afford to stay there. As a low-income senior, I find it odd that someone who lives within cheap travel distance of Spain would comment on the "affluence" of pilgrims taking intercontinental flights. Most of us have to be retired to have the time and many have to budget stringently to give ourselves the opportunity. The only place where I requested a pilgrim's discount on my last camino was San Martin Pinario in Santiago, which reserves a floor for pilgrims. It is not in my nature to request discounts, but I will look for them when I think they are available.
Sure, where they are available but, considering albergues are everywhere, there is a low cost option that does not involve asking others to make a sacrifice for our travel and leisure. If I want something I cannot afford I just go without.

That's my experience too. The only exception is with the Paradores in Spain where at times I've asked for and been given a discount or they've included breakfast.

Me too. I usually check booking.com and the hotel directly and its usually the same. And we got the pilgrim price at the Parador in Leon. We had one of the rooms in the newer wing, not the historical part, but it was a heck of a bargain. And our rate included breakfast, which was quite nice.

Please note, I used the word 'relative' in conjunction with affluence, and in a later post stressed the difference between an establishment offering a discount, which had presumably been budgeted for, and a pilgrim asking a business to discount a price that had been set at a rate to, again presumably, allow the business to make money. The criticism I made was criticism of expecting a discount from standard prices NOT taking advantage of pilgrim's rates where they were available.

As I said above, I am not of the temperament to request a discount unless I know in advance that one is provided to pilgrims. I am more likely to up my donation at donativo albergues, on the grounds that tomorrow's pilgrims would like to have a generous evening meal if enough has been donated the previous day to provide one. However, I might consider asking if there is a pilgrim discount where this is an important factor in whether I stay here or move on. It is always good to know and the business owner can reply according to her/his own pricing practice.

Getting back to the OP discussion. I found in Spain that even with my basic Spanish, calling up to make bookings directly worked every time. It's a lot easier than France. I was never asked for a deposit and as @mspath says, rooms were found where Booking.com showed none available. Plus my stumbling conversation efforts were appreciated and often led to further conversation - and language lessons - from the hospitaliers.

Idem for me.

And I got a discount one time and I did not ask for it.

I merely received this because I patiently waited being helped and in the mean time helped the elderly lady of the hostal with translating to some pilgrims ( this was a small hostal / restaurant, fully booked at the time and only two people helping out for kitchen and hostal ) whereas another more unpatient pilgrim almost barked and demanded to get a room pronto. I received a triple room ( with own bathroom ) for personal use for only 15 € whereas the obnoxious other pilgrim had to pay 25 € for a single room.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Didn't sound like she was demanding, to me. Seems like she was asking a reasonable question. I love this forum but some folks here are so snarky. Be gentle people!
I agree totally. We don't know the circumstances under which people travel. They may have saved and saved money for a long time just to be able to afford the flight. Surely people must be free to ask reasonable questions on this form without getting unhelpful replies. What's the point of that? Better to ignore the post or questions than give a catty reply. In my humble opinion of course. BTW, a lot of the big hotels in the towns usually give a pilgrim discount. We've never booked online though-- just go in to the reception when you get there. Never had any trouble and we walked between May and August in different years. Annette

Please note, I used the word 'relative' in conjunction with affluence, and in a later post stressed the difference between an establishment offering a discount, which had presumably been budgeted for, and a pilgrim asking a business to discount a price that had been set at a rate to, again presumably, allow the business to make money. The criticism I made was criticism of expecting a discount from standard prices NOT taking advantage of pilgrim's rates where they were available.

@PeterD1951 you may not realise that many accommodation providers along the Caminos advertise special prices for pilgrims. I believe it was this to which the OP was referring - not just randomly asking for a discount (much less expecting, or "demanding freebies" as you commented earlier). The question was whether those advertised prices still apply when booking via online agencies, and some answers or suggestions have been provided. References to affluence (relative or otherwise) seem unhelpful under the circumstances, and "criticism of expecting a discount from standard prices" not relevant to the OP's question - you are criticising something of which the OP has been accused by other posters.

Pilgrims support the local Spanish economy in many ways, including by paying for their accommodation, buying meals at local bars and restaurants, stocking up at the tiendas and supermarkets, buying postcards and souvenirs.... It all adds up.

Never been accused of being 'snarky' before. I'll add it to the list!
You're not the only one, lol. Peace. If it weren't for the genuinely helpful and kindly folks here helping me prepare for my first camino I'd have left the forum and looked elsewhere for advice you can't just "Google " which has been recommended by someone who probably has forgotten what getting ready for their first one was like.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hello chinalil,
I've read the responses you've had and offer this reply only because I didn't see anyone else mention it.

The travel site Trivago compares the prices across multiple sites. It purports to let you find the cheapest price.

I don't know if that is true, however, when I have cared to use it, I have often found the cheapest price they offer to be below that of any discounts offered.

I have only used the site for places in the UK though.

Buen Camino

The way I saw it I was spending my budget one way or another anyways. If I got a discount at a hotel it would go back into tourism somewhere else.

That's OK - I 'liked' them both :rolleyes:
I liked them both too :) I agree 100%. When I share here at home that I get a Pilgrims menu with a bottle of wine included for 10 euro's, people are stunned...... I find it unbelievable that it's that cheap. The lodging I stayed at were all great for little $. Even the splurge on the Parador in Santo Domingo is under $100.......that's pretty amazing I think .

As I said above, I am not of the temperament to request a discount unless I know in advance that one is provided to pilgrims. I am more likely to up my donation at donativo albergues, on the grounds that tomorrow's pilgrims would like to have a generous evening meal if enough has been donated the previous day to provide one. However, I might consider asking if there is a pilgrim discount where this is an important factor in whether I stay here or move on. It is always good to know and the business owner can reply according to her/his own pricing practice.
I guess I'll be looking for that free meal!! :)

Totally brassed off planning, trial packing etc. I WANT TO GO NOW!!!!!!!!!

You had to go say it. You had to say Brassed Off...well, this hospitelera/pilgrim knows what movie she's going to be watching as she try's to fall asleep tonight!! Tomorrow...off to Spain!! Wish you all the very best on your first Camino! Buen Camino

When someone says that they accomodations "are a lot more than 6€" and about staying in albergue "been there done that, not if I can avoid it", it really doesn't give the impression there is an economic concern there.
My husband works all over the US so if I want to spend time with him I fly or drive to see him. It's an economic hardship. I search every discount I can find. We are retired military so I also search that option. I would love to stay several nights on my camino in a private room but I scrimped and saved to even buy a plane ticket so I could walk my "measly" miles from Ponferrada to Santiago because I couldn't afford more time. What business do you have to impose your rather narrow view of others? Offer your opinion, of course, but you are so critical and negative. I am looking forward to albergue time for the experience and the camaraderie. I've never done it before but I truly want to try. Because of you, Anemone, and your bitter, acerbic replies to new forum members I am leaving this forum and discontinuing any association with anyone here. You have clouded my view of the what support is.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband works all over the US so if I want to spend time with him I fly or drive to see him. It's an economic hardship. I search every discount I can find. We are retired military so I also search that option. I would love to stay several nights on my camino in a private room but I scrimped and saved to even buy a plane ticket so I could walk my "measly" miles from Ponferrada to Santiago because I couldn't afford more time. What business do you have to impose your rather narrow view of others? Offer your opinion, of course, but you are so critical and negative. I am looking forward to albergue time for the experience and the camaraderie. I've never done it before but I truly want to try. Because of you, Anemone, and your bitter, acerbic replies to new forum members I am leaving this forum and discontinuing any association with anyone here. You have clouded my view of the what support is.
@soozansings:
I have certainly felt that way at times. I apologize for all of us. We should do better and I hope that most of us try to.

Me too. I usually check booking.com and the hotel directly and its usually the same. And we got the pilgrim price at the Parador in Leon. We had one of the rooms in the newer wing, not the historical part, but it was a heck of a bargain. And our rate included breakfast, which was quite nice.
I became an "amigo" of the Paradores which entitles me to the usual pilgrim discount and I can accure points towards non-pilgrim discounts. The Paradore in Santiago does NOT offer pilgrim discounts (far too many of us??). In Leon the regular room rate was around E150 but for pilgrims it was (last Sept) E107 including breakfast, a breakfast that really sustains the pilgrim. If unable to book (online) in advance, I recommend phoning 2 or 3 days out. They usually have someone who speaks reasonable English on the desk. Cheers

@PeterD1951 you may not realise that many accommodation providers along the Caminos advertise special prices for pilgrims. I believe it was this to which the OP was referring - not just randomly asking for a discount (much less expecting, or "demanding freebies" as you commented earlier). The question was whether those advertised prices still apply when booking via online agencies, and some answers or suggestions have been provided. References to affluence (relative or otherwise) seem unhelpful under the circumstances, and "criticism of expecting a discount from standard prices" not relevant to the OP's question - you are criticising something of which the OP has been accused by other posters.

Pilgrims support the local Spanish economy in many ways, including by paying for their accommodation, buying meals at local bars and restaurants, stocking up at the tiendas and supermarkets, buying postcards and souvenirs.... It all adds up.
I don't think you read the post you replied to. This is exactly the point I was making, that there is a difference between taking advantage of advertised pilgrims discounts and expecting discounts everywhere.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I detect a bit of a clashing of cultures here ;), between those who come from areas where discounts in the hospitality sector (and in general) are more common than in others, between those who have walked and those still to walk, between the albergue fans and the hotel/pension aficionados, between The Camino de Santiago and the Camino del Norte, those from far away and those living near-by. Someone mentioned the "camerero" rate. And Booking.com.

In my very limited experience - and without having ever asked for a pilgrim rate or any other discount or freebie - I was told on two occasions at check-in or check-out when I had booked through Booking.com: 1. that it is a pity that I had booked through Booking.com because they cannot now give me a lower rate although they would like to offer it to me (I was wearing standard pilgrim gear) and 2. when I come next time I should book directly through the hotel and ask for the pilgrims rate (which is the same as the business travelers rate) because they don't offer this rate through Booking.com and that they have to pay a commission to Booking.com for every booking.

In a third case (on the Camino Frances) where I talked with the owner for a bit, it was clear that the small hotel was also aiming to attract customers who stay longer than just the one night a pilgrim stays. Which is mostly likely often the case in the area of the Norte, which does not cater primarily for the pilgrimage sector and to which the initial question refers?

Last edited:
@soozansings I would say please don't let a few unhelpful and unkind (IMO) posts turn you away from the mainly helpful folk here. This from one who has thought of quitting more than once even as a long time member.

I suspect that some of these less charitable posters take advantage of other discounts such as cheap flights etc. We have a discounted ferry ticket which includes 3 hotel nights for less than just the ferry fare. Offered simply because we did book the hotel nights. Should we have paid the full ferry fare and then booked 3 nights seperatley elsewhere?? The €200 saved will actually go into the Spanish economy in meals etc and other hotel/pension nights.
We have done the Camino using a mix of albergues and pensions and know that every € counts, not just to us but to the local villages we pass through. Discounts actually attract trade and we have returned to some places, or recommended them, because of the encouraging and helpful attitude of the owners.

And if some of you want to make snarky comments to us feel free, we no longer care.......

It's good to see the chorus of patient, reasonable, and gentle folks rising in unison! So much of the misunderstanding seems to come from cultural differences (as Kathar1na notes), language differences, as well as the impossibility of getting the true sense of a message when it is only written and not spoken. Nothing wrong with strong disagreements (most of us old timers have had our fair share), but please try to stay on the right side of the line of civility. When in doubt, hit delete. ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am going to repost this and then remove myself from this thread. It's unfortunate that some of you failed to read the post properly. This was never about taking advantage of advertised pilgrims discounts!!!!!

I am going to repost this and then remove myself from this thread. It's unfortunate that some of you failed to read the post properly. This was never about taking advantage of advertised pilgrims discounts!!!!!
Exactly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I detect a bit of a clashing of cultures here ;), between those who come from areas where discounts in the hospitality sector (and in general) are more common than in others, between those who have walked and those still to walk, between the albergue fans and the hotel/pension aficionados, between The Camino de Santiago and the Camino del Norte, those from far away and those living near-by. Someone mentioned the "camerero" rate. And Booking.com.

In my very limited experience - and without having ever asked for a pilgrim rate or any other discount or freebie - I was told on two occasions at check-in or check-out when I had booked through Booking.com: 1. that it is a pity that I had booked through Booking.com because they cannot now give me a lower rate although they would like to offer it to me (I was wearing standard pilgrim gear) and 2. when I come next time I should book directly through the hotel and ask for the pilgrims rate (which is the same as the business travelers rate) because they don't offer this rate through Booking.com and that they have to pay a commission to Booking.com for every booking.

In a third case (on the Camino Frances) where I talked with the owner for a bit, it was clear that the small hotel was also aiming to attract customers who stay longer than just the one night a pilgrim stays. Which is mostly likely often the case in the area of the Norte, which does not cater primarily for the pilgrimage sector and to which the initial question refers?

I remember the pension in Portugalete, basically a family's home rearanged to open up rooms to travellers, being on Booking.com and just shaking my head. Not exactly the type of business I would have expected on such a website. And then this year I started noticing the "backlash" from small places who still use them but on their websites ask people to book directly through them since the commision they pay these websites have an impostant impact on their bottom line.

And you make another excellent point @Kathar1na , we are not exactly repete customers, so there is little incentive for these little family run places to give up on some well earned money on someone who will not generate future income.

Peter I understood your point to be exactly that. No one was criticising anyone for utilising the available pilgrim and other discounts. I thought that it was about fairness, decency and respect to the service providers.

On our Camino we came across an older pilgrim on several occasions in bars and restaurants who would refuse either to pay in full or at all for his wine and food as 'he referred many people to your establishment and he was on a pilgrimage'.

Relative affluence is a difficult concept to accept and live. There is always someone better or worse off than our own circumstances. Do we spend all our hard earned income on just ourselves or feel guilty and donate it all to charity and live a smaller life? I think that the balance lies somewhere in between for most of us.

@soozansings I would add my voice to asking that you not leave the forum. We need and value all opinions and points of view. We grow as a community through such exchanges tempered at times through emotional fire.

Thank you to @peregrina2000 and all the other moderators who keep us 'playing nice'. Your efforts may go unremarked upon but are much appreciated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back