• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plodding along on the Camino del Baztan

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
Day 2 on the Camino del Baztan and all is going well. We walked from Bayonne to Esplette yesterday and from Esplette to Amaiur today. We (and the other 2 pilgrims!) stayed in the muni in Esplette last night and are in a Casa Rural tonight. The 4 of us (a pilgrim wave by Baztan standards) plan to stay in the Berroeta albergue tomorrow.

It's as beautiful as everyone has said, but today was much harder than we expected. We're pretty exhausted - there was a lot of asphalt and concrete which took its toll on our feet. But we're still smiling and we've been very lucky with the weather.

I'm making lots of notes, which I'll share on my return.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, Nuala. I'm thinking about where to walk in 2017 and so will be looking for your reports with a lot of interest.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone for the good wishes! Today was an easier day and Damian is no longer giving me those 'why are you making me do this' looks. We had light rain and mist this morning, which was perfect walking weather, but we missed some great mountain views. However, there's no shortage of beauty on this Camino.

We're now in Berroeta, a tiny village with a great 16-bed muni albergue (and absolutely nothing else!). Just us and the 2 Spanish guys again. They leave early and walk faster than us, so we only see them in the evenings. We've had some interesting broken English/broken Spanish chats with them about different Camino routes.

Tomorrow's walk will begin with another tough climb. We haven't yet decided how far we will walk. There's a new albergue in Lantz (about 15kms) and an older one in Olague (5kms further on). Lantz seems a better option, but it would mean a longer walk to Pamplona on Tuesday. I love these Camino dilemmas!

Hi Nuala, great to hear from another corner of the camino world. Are you going into Santiago? I'm wondering if we might coincide there. Early July for me. Enjoy! Buen camino, Laurie.
Buen Camino to you too, Laurie! Unfortunately we won't make it to Santiago this time. We're only walking as far as Los Arcos or Logrono. Back again in September for the Del Salvador and Primitivo, though!

Hope all is going well for you and that the bites are healing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I took the risk leaving YYZ yesterday that the security personnel would allow my trekking poles as carry-on and that I would not get hung-up in the layover at Frankfurt. There was some lengthy...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back